TN: 2002 Stony Hill Napa Valley Chardonnnay

Claret

TN: 2002 Stony Hill Napa Valley Chardonnnay

Post by Claret »

Forget any preconcieved notions of big and buttery Napa Chards when preparing to taste this wine for the first time. The label states that it is 13% ABV and is grown at an elevation 600' above the valley floor and is non malolactic. It is devoid of any wood flavors from oak as well.

I picked up a couple of bottles a few years ago at auction for $13, so it was time to pull a cork knowing these wines have a good rep for ageing. The color was a mature gold. The nose offers up pear, cinnamon, a smidgen of nuts and earth, with a good middle of the nose tactile impression. The flavors consist of more spiced pear and damp earth with solid natural acidity and a mouth filling ability seemingly without heaviness. The finish is long and satisfying. The layers just keep building with more air. Sort of a cross beween Chablis and Oregon, but clearly different, fascinating in its character. Nowhere near OTH with plenty of strcture from the acidity.

I would call this wine unique. Clearly it is a Chard but without RS, oak or fake acidity. The earthiness is very nice but different from Burgundy or any other place in my memory. It was a good match for pan seared black cod with lemon, capers and EVOO. Tomorrow I will finish it off with a Barramundi version of this dish.

Glenn
Glenn
AlexR

Re: TN: 2002 Stony Hill Napa Valley Chardonnnay

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

This is a mythical wine and I am bowled over by how little you paid for it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Alex R.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Yes Alex this wine is special. I had bid on more bottles but only won these two.

The 2000 Riesling was also captivating and resides on my wall of fame.

Glenn
Glenn
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Jackdaw and I had a 1981 Stony Hill Chard at Terra Rest. in Napa back in 1997. We paired it with Chilean Sea Bass in Ginger Broth. A perfect pairing, Stony Hills Chards can improve for years in btl.

I've also enjoyed the Rieslings from them. I've had them at different levels of ripeness, with the best being about similar levels of residule sugar as an Auslese from the Mosel. They very much remind me of Mosel, only a Smothers Brothers Riesling was a closer match to a Mosel than any other U.S. Riesling I've drunk. Joseph Phelps Rieslings are more Rhinegau like to me. I prefer the Phelps more to the drier, Kabinet style.

Dr Loosen does a nice job with Washington State Riesling from San Michelle. The Ethos is a beauty.