TN: Couple of real cheapy '07 Cotes du Rhones

DavidG

TN: Couple of real cheapy '07 Cotes du Rhones

Post by DavidG »

Curious to see how far down the heirarchy the quality of the '07 Cotes du Rhones reaches, I picked up a couple of under-$10 bottles.
  • 2007 La Vieille Ferme (Perrin & Fils) Côtes du Ventoux - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Ventoux (10/6/2009)
    Dark red to rim, not very intense nose of straightforward red berry, not getting the pepper or spice noted by others. Light-medium body, soft palate feel, good balance, short finish. OK wine, good QPR and better than expected at only $7, this would make a nice big-party wine but lacking any real complexity or interest, not something I would spend another night drinking.
  • 2007 Perrin & Fils Côtes du Rhône Reserve - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (10/6/2009)
    Another under-$10 Cotes-du-Rhone from '07 picked up ITNOS. Dark red to rim, medium-intense nose of cherry/berries, some spice and pepper, medium body, cherry and pepper on the palate, good balance, short-medium finish remains in good balance, this is actually interesting wine and very good, a great QPR at $9, it beats the pants off the Vieille Ferme, but clearly a few steps below many of the $15-20 offerings I've been trying lately
Posted from CellarTracker
PappaDoc

Re: TN: Couple of real cheapy '07 Cotes du Rhones

Post by PappaDoc »

The 07 Perrin is a charmer. Try the Kermit Lynch "Cypress" The 07s are great from the Southern Rhone. I haven't tried the Nothern Rhones from 07 but the CDNPs are mystical.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I liked the Perin Reserve enough to buy 6, and drank the 2nd this past week. You described it well; Its $12 sibling, the CdR Perin Villes Vignes, is a couple steps up in quality and another bargain. They are both bordering on too sweet for me, but not over the edge.
William P

Post by William P »

Very timely thread David. I picked up a few 2007 Saint-Esprit, Cote-du-Rhone by Delas for my daughter engagement party today. Of course, I had to sample this bargain Rhone and it was very nice, no it was great, for the money. Rich, simple, and satisfying. I think the california palates that will attend this party should enjoy this. It should go great with the BBQ. If this is an example of the vintage 07 should be a Rhone winner.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bill - if they have even a glimmer of interest in wine, you might have a little fun with your daughter and future SIL by rounding up a few potential party wines and asking the two of them to participate in a little tasting/selection get-together. That is, if you haven't already made the final purchase. Otherwise, well, you'll have another opportunity for the wedding reception wines...

Congratulations again.
William P

Post by William P »

I also picked up a little 05 Bordeaux Superior. No Cali reds for this party. A little german kabinette and of course for the rest a cali chard. It should be fun from a wine POV, but most of my friends have little interest in wine.
Rick

Post by Rick »

David
you hit the nail on the head with "not something I would spend another night drinking"
I was trying to describe to a friend that gavce me a bottle of 2007 Domaine les Aphillanthes Côtes du Rhône while it was good there is too much reall good 07 CdRs .............thus what I meant was not good enough to spend a night with just a good one

I have another case of 07 CdR coming 2007 Domaine les Grands Bois Côtes du Rhône Villages Cuvée Gabrielle
I did notice on cellar tracker it received high ratings when it was first rsated a few months ago but the scores have gone down in the last few weeks - any chance these 07 CdRs will lose the charm many of us see when first purchased
I sure hope not with the few cases I now have.....thinking they would be great mid week drinkers and nice party wines

rick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I doubt that these wines are changing that much over the course of 3-6 months, even the cheap ones. CT is OK for ratings when there are lots of people commenting on one wine, but there can be a herd mentality there and I don't give much weight to individual CT notes unless they are from people I know.

I've got a couple cases of '07 Cotes du Rhones in the $16-18 range, and I think they'll continue to drink well for the next 2-3 years, maybe longer. And the '07 Chateauneufs and Gigondas should have a nice long life ahead of them.