TN: 1994 Mueller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten Spatlese

RDD

TN: 1994 Mueller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten Spatlese

Post by RDD »

Susan has a quick dinner after a hard day cooking in the kitchen. Ham with a pineapple glaze and fresh steamed vegetables.
When I think of ham I think of Germany. Now if it where boar with a heavy spice I'd think Rhone or Alsace.
But rather than try to contrast I pulled a wine that should blend. As I pulled the wine I pondered why Riesling seems to age effortlessly yet the lofty Chardonay from Burgundy can be hit ormiss with too much age. Especially the 1996's.
Although we drank a 1997 Verget Chablis Vaillons that did not suck the other night.
Anyway the more I age the more I appreciate the unsung Riesling grape.
Here's one for PapaDoc!
Now to chill and pop open.
RDD

Re: TN: 1994 Mueller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten Spatlese

Post by RDD »

If I had one word to sum up this wine it would be refreshing.
A brillant gold in color. The nose reveals a typical light Vaseline with a quick whiif.
But linger a little longer and search a little deeper and there is a swirl of tangerine and appricot in equal measure.
Now most think a Spatlese is too sweet but this is just over the border of Spatlese classication and retains the acidity and verve of a Kabinet providing lively fresh fruit even though fifteen years of age. Finish is a clean stoney palate cleanser making you yearn for another sip. A real pleasure to drink.
92 points with a good 5 years left.
I doubt it will get any better but it sure was money well spent.
Cheers.
Claret

Post by Claret »

1994's are in a good place now. I am glad that MC delivered for you.

Glenn
Glenn
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Thanks for the toast Ron! The 94s were higher than most years in acidity lending them to a very long life. The sweetness will fade with time and I think you opened your btl at the perfect age.

It's also what I would have paired with the Pineapple Glazed Ham, great pairing. I had the same btl earlier this year and found the same stoney finish with refresing acidity. I had it with "1,2,3,4,5 Spareribs" a sweet way to make country spare ribs on top of the stove.

I've been making this dish for 30 years, it comes from Irene Kuos "The Key To Chinese Cooking". I've probably made it 30 times and folks can't believe it's done on top of the stove. It goes well with an aged Spatlese or dry Champagne.

If anyones interested I'll post the recipe.

Hope alls well, been thinking about you two. Theres a good chance (90%) I'll be going to Chicago 2010, I was sorry I couldn't go to Jimbos Maine Lobster Fest.

John
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Glad to see you are drinking well, Rob.

I've really enjoyed a bunch of bottles of Mueller-Catoir Gimmeldinger Mandelgarten Spatlese (it's great stuff) from several different years although I haven't had the 1994. The 1994 German Rieslings that I have consumed have been stellar. It was a vintage that kind of flew under the radar (though I guess almost all German wine was under the radar back then). I think I may have one or two left of Donnhoff Brucke Auslese.

PappaDoc - I would love to see your recipe for country spare ribs.

Chris Bublitz