Thoughts on Médoc 2007

chris kissack

Thoughts on Médoc 2007

Post by chris kissack »

I've spent the last week and a half thinking about Bordeaux 2007 (well, somebody has to) after the annual UGC tasting of the wines at two years of age which was held at Covent Garden in London last week. I've just finished writing up my Médoc notes, which for Bordeaux was where I cut my teeth before discovering Graves and - much more recently - the Right Bank. Here is a brief synopsis of my thoughts on Bordeaux 2007, with specific reference to the Médoc.

It is perhaps expected to provide some indication of which commune has been victorious, which one should take the title of most successful for 2007. Other than saying each of the communes displays a remarkable ability to disappoint, however, I am not sure what accolades should be handed out.

First off the blocks therefore is St Estèphe, a chronically under-represented commune in the annual UGC tastings as Montrose, Cos d'Estournel and Calon-Ségur do not engage in UGC activities. That leaves just four estates flying the flag, the only two remaining cru classé properties and two 'lesser' estates, for want of a better description, After all, it is not unusual for one or both of the latter pair to outshine the first two. In this tasting, however, none really shone at all.

Moving onto Pauillac, the tone of the vintage began to ring clearer and clearer as I moved along the wines. There are only so many ways that you can write the word 'lean'. There was one notable success in this commune though, from Pichon-Baron, a harmonious offering which was attractive, perfumed and certainly a super effort in the context of the vintage. Its stablemate Pichon-Lalande as well as Pontet-Canet also showed a little promise and all three will benefit for a little time in the cellar, although not too long for the Pichon twins, this is not a vintage that will benefit from extended cellaring. Pontet-Canet, with its thick background of tannins, may need a little longer to soften up though; I only hope the fruit holds out.

Further south again and I thought I found a little more uniformity in St Julien, where as a group the wines displayed a smidgen more substance and flesh, and the classic St Julien trio of Langoa and the two Léovilles (by which I mean Poyferré and Barton - like the St Estèphe super-seconds, Léoville-Las-Cases does not partake in UGC events) all showed good efforts. But they are only good in the context of the vintage of course. And in truth I think Pichon-Baron is superior to all of these efforts.

These first three communes seemed to establish a trend of improving quality, starting with the dismal wines of St Estèphe, before the less than admirable Pauillacs and the slightly more uniform St Juliens. If this trend was real, Margaux should offer something brighter and more appealing, surely? The first few samples seemed to suggest this might be so, with half-decent wines from Brane-Cantenac, Cantenac-Brown, Dauzac and Desmirail. Sadly, the situation degenerated from there onwards, with the commune showing the usual Margaux unreliability, and in truth Rauzan-Ségla is the only estate in the commune worthy of any significant comment. My tasting finished up with two of the five Haut-Médoc cru classé chateaux, La Tour Carnet and Cantemerle. Neither sent any shivers down my spine.

The best (acknowledging that many top properties - the first growths for instant - are always absent from these tastings):

Chateau Pichon-Baron 2007: Dense fruit, a little creamy oak, more expressive aromatically than Pichon-Lalande which I tasted alongside. An impressive palate for the vintage; supple and lightly creamy in terms of texture. A very appealing style, harmonious, with integrated tannins. Balanced, and overall showing very well. A good firm finish and even a little length. 16.5+/20

I thought about adding "the worst" to the end of this post also, but I found myself over-faced with the array of possibilities! :)
AlexR

Re: Thoughts on Médoc 2007

Post by AlexR »

Chris,

Thanks for your synopsis.

I am well-known on this forum for defending "off-vintages" and sweeping vintage generalizations.
However, your-depth tasting, approached without pre-conceived notions - "comparing that which is comparable" - is another kettle of fish, and there's no way I will belittle your first-hand experience.

I'd just say: "lean" is at least better than "lean and green"!
It would be (will be?) interesting to revisit some of the wines you tasted years down the road.
Surprises have been known to happen :-).

Of course, the question of pricing can never be absent from the consumer's viewpoint.
We now know that the 2007s were overpriced, but this is with hindsight...
Futures purchasing is always a gamble, and how could anyone guess that the following two vintages would be so good?

It seems obvious to me that a certain amount of 2007 great growths will be sold at dumping prices. This is the flip side of the Bordeaux system of checks and balances which, to paraphrase Churchill, is the worst possible system - except compared to all the others...

All the best,
Alex
JonB

Post by JonB »

The UGC tastings in the U.S. this coming January are on weeknights, so I suspect they are not planning on opening them to the non-trade, as they have in major cities the past couple of years. I think they have assessed correctly that the demand for the '07s is not as strong as what is was for '05s, and what they thought it was for '06.

I tasted a couple of '07 classed-growth 2nd wines last month (served on a British Airlines flight), and didn't take notes but thought they were drinkable, light, good acidity, nice fruit, but no depth and more in the class of a "picnic" wine.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Jon
if they taste like "picnic" wines then they should commensurately be at picnic prices, surely.
2007 is like 1997 - overpriced and later dumped often on the on-licence market at low prices.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Claudius wrote:Jon
if they taste like "picnic" wines then they should commensurately be at picnic prices, surely.
2007 is like 1997 - overpriced and later dumped often on the on-licence market at low prices.
:lol:
If they are selling them to the airlines, I can't imagine there is much markup. Airlines are probably more tight-fisted than the French hyper markets.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

AlexR wrote:Chris,

I'd just say: "lean" is at least better than "lean and green"!
It would be (will be?) interesting to revisit some of the wines you tasted years down the road.
Surprises have been known to happen :-).

Of course, the question of pricing can never be absent from the consumer's viewpoint.
We now know that the 2007s were overpriced, but this is with hindsight...
Futures purchasing is always a gamble, and how could anyone guess that the following two vintages would be so good?

Alex
Alex

Good to hear from you, and thanks for your excellent response. You make some good points, and I agree that Bordeaux (or indeed any other wine) should not be about just the great vintages. But the Bordelais set the scene with the prices for these wines; they are priced high, and it is my opinion that they have to be reviewed in that light. The prices here are big money for small wines. If the prices were much lower (the prices for the 2002s on release would have been appropriate) my opinions of the wines would be unchanged, but at least we could start to look sensibly at which might be worth buying.

You are right about greenness - I was pleased that this was not a major component of these wines to my palate.

I disagree that a vintage can only be recognised as over-priced with hindsight though. The proprietors and chefs de caves of Bordeaux have enough experience, and enough information at their fingertips, to know the quality of a vintage by the time the wines are being released. They certainly seem to have no problem telling us already, before the fermentations have finished, of how wonderful 2009 is! The 2007s were weaker, leaner wines, and this was already apparent in April 2008. They keep the prices high because they can, tempered with a "price reduction" compared to preceding vintages (the bar set by the 2005 vintage) which obfuscates the fact that they were released 83% more expensive than the 2000s. They do this because it is naturally of financial benefit to them, not because they have misinterpreted the quality of the vintage.

Best regards,
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Claudius wrote:Jon
Like 1997, 2007 prices are riding too high having been released at prices based on two preceding vintages, both good with higher prices. They have further to fall this time though.
If the 2007s were released at appropriate prices, as you suggest, I could recommend some "buys" but not at the moment.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JonB wrote:The UGC tastings in the U.S. this coming January are on weeknights, so I suspect they are not planning on opening them to the non-trade, as they have in major cities the past couple of years. I think they have assessed correctly that the demand for the '07s is not as strong as what is was for '05s, and what they thought it was for '06.

I tasted a couple of '07 classed-growth 2nd wines last month (served on a British Airlines flight), and didn't take notes but thought they were drinkable, light, good acidity, nice fruit, but no depth and more in the class of a "picnic" wine.
uh oh. do I hear the dreaded descriptor "luncheon claret" coming into play? Will 11 bottle cases be plentiful on the auction scene? Time will tell. Thanks for the notes Chris.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

I remember years ago coming across a Jancis note on a classed-growth claret that ended with the words 'I'm thinking airlines...'

Made no sense at the time (going on holiday, dear?) but see it now.

Richard
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. Hope to see you on your next trip over here. The only problem is that so many people come at set times of year (en primeur tastings, Vinexpo) that everything tends to bunch up. Even so, it would be great to meet again. Please give me a shout!

You write:
>>>I disagree that a vintage can only be recognised as over-priced with hindsight though.

Please understand that my comment was said with almost a stock broker's or insurance agent's caution. We can NEVER know what's around the corner. For instance, what if 2008 had been "even worse" than 2007, a real wipeout year? It has been known to happen! The 2007s would then have seemed a good bet, no? This is what I mean when referring to hindsight. Furthermore, while there's the quality factor, of course, there's also the quantity factor. When there is less to go around, prices are affected - for the great wines - whatever the vintage.
I'm not doubting for a second that "the proprietors and chefs de caves of Bordeaux have enough experience, and enough information at their fingertips, to know the quality of a vintage by the time the wines are being released" as you rightly say. I'm referring to the market situation at a given time in light of stocks (both in Bordeaux and on major markets) and what feedback from the market is saying.
Even though sales were hardly feverish, 2007s did not languish during en primeur sales.
Part of the reason, of course, is the chain reaction of allocations - you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, i.e., you show your loyalty in a vintage with poor press, and I'll be sure to reward you with allocations in the years everyone is fighting to get hold of. This starts with the château to the négociant, and so on down the line...

One of the amazing things about forums like this or Tom Cannavan's board, or Wine Berserkers, or the others is that wine nuts like you and me post notes about tastings. Have you never noticed that there are often big surprises: the little years can deliver far better than anyone would have believed?
In fact, it tickles me pink when this happens :-).

In retrospect, the 2007s are indeed overpriced, and they will undoubtedly be dumped on many markets. In return, the Bordelais will have inexorably increased their prices handsomely when the next really good vintage came along (2008 and, obviously, 2009).

I can see this from the consumer's point of view, but I can also see it from the producers' and negociant's point of view. It is maddening that thousands of estates are written off by people who have, unlike you, never tasted anything, and just follow what a few critics say.

2007s = "airline wines"? I've seen many a vintage like this before, and the same people who are prone to write off an entire vintage are often delighted to taste the wines (rather than the label!) when they are properly matured ...
While on the subject of airlines, for those forumites lucky enough to travel in a class that serves great growth claret, is it not preferable to drink a lesser vintage in its youth than a great vintage served either many years too young, or in a way that doesn't suit a great wine (which needs decanting)?
Should people really drink 20 year-old claret on the plane?

Furthermore, the lesser vintages often (but not always, agreed) have the advantage of coming around earlier.
In my cellar, for instance, I have many 2000s and a sprinkling of 2005s. I will never buy into a great vintage again (en primeur or just after bottling), but am sure to buy other vintages that I will be able to appreciate at (or near) their peak before I go to the Big Wine Cellar in the Sky.

All the best,
Alex R.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Alex,

<<I have many 2000s and a sprinkling of 2005s. I will never buy into a great vintage again (en primeur or just after bottling), but am sure to buy other vintages that I will be able to appreciate at (or near) their peak before I go to the Big Wine Cellar in the Sky.>>

Just curious. Do you find the 2000s exciting now? Do you think it's a vintage you could have the drinking experience and enjoy from the get-go? I ask becasue I had a Prieure-Lichine 2000 yesterday and it's still open and very attractive. Since the release of the 2000, I have been finding all those wines I opened never really shut down. It seems 2000 is a very special vintage that you can have an extremely long of drinking plateaux. What's your experience on this vintage?

If you found 2000s having an early and long-lasting drinking window, would you buy into another new vintage which has similar traits?

Werner
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Werner,

>>>Just curious. Do you find the 2000s exciting now?

Yes, I'm already drinking my non-classified growths and deriving great pleasure from them.

>>>Do you think it's a vintage you could have the drinking experience and enjoy from the get-go? I ask becasue I had a Prieure-Lichine 2000 yesterday and it's still open and very attractive. Since the release of the 2000, I have been finding all those wines I opened never really shut down. It seems 2000 is a very special vintage that you can have an extremely long of drinking plateaux. What's your experience on this vintage?

Interesting question. I am perhaps being overly cautious in waiting since I have only single bottles of most wines. Forums such as this are highly useful to all of us in letting us know how things are going. If I read a few more comments like yours, I'll start popping corks.

>>>If you found 2000s having an early and long-lasting drinking window, would you buy into another new vintage which has similar traits?

Yes, but it's so tough to know: projecting that particular characteristic when the wines are still in barrel.

All the best,
Alex
AlainB.

Post by AlainB. »

Good discussion and nice report, Chris! Thanks a lot..
And thanks for your recommendation on 2007 Pichon Baron which, quite surprisingly, I never tested to this day!

From my recent experiences to Bordeaux, I very much agree with your analysis of the 2007 vintage.
Visiting chateaux these days means great "chances" to taste their 2007s, sometimes alongside with propertie's older vintages (2006, 2004) which, in a way, is a good opportunity in assessing the real value of 07. All in all, and not mentioning the price issue, I believe the vintage is not "that" bad. At least, it's much better than 92, 93. And 2007 is a modern – and probably superior - version of 1987 or 1997.

I passably enjoyed a number of reds in 2007, i.e:
St-Julien: Ducru-Beaucaillou (my favourite lefty), Léoville Barton, Saint-Pierre
Pauillac: Pontet-Canet (my second favourite lefty - better than Mouton to my view!)
Margaux: surely the less exciting top appellation in 2007, although I appreciated Malescot-St Exupéry’s effort in 2007 – one of the only growth of the Margaux appellation presenting ripe fruit and tannins! Rauzan-Ségla was OK too. No opportunity to taste Château Margaux or Palmer yet.
St Estèphe: Cos d’Estournel is enjoyable
Haut-Médoc: La Lagune, La Tour Carnet & .. Château Cornélie
Pessac-Léognan : Domaine de Chevalier, Malartic la Gravière and Smith Haut Lafitte are worth investing a case.. at fair prices.

On the right bank, I very much like Pavie-Macquin's mineral touch, Larcis-Ducasse, Angélus, Beauséjour-Bécot and Canon la Gaffelière at St-Emilion
Pomerol: Gazin, Vray Croix de Gay, Certan de May and La Conseillante are my picks

And don’t forget 2007 is a GREAT year for white (sweet and dry) ! Domaine de Chevalier, Fieuzal, Carbonnieux, Bouscaut, Chantegrive or Malartic Lagravière are astonishing !

Sauternes-Barsac : Fargues, Suduiraut, Doisy-Daëne, Guiraud, Clos Haut-Peyraguey, Lafaurie-Peyraguey and Château de Malle are easily competing in the same category as 2001 and 2005!

Cheers,

Alain
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Hi Alain

Thanks for your response. I agree with you thoughts on the intrinsic quality of 2007, and as I have written in my report on my site it is an amazing achievement that they have made any wine at all, never mind drinkable wine, and if we were to turn back the clock 10-20 years as you have done with comparison to older vintages the end of the 2007 story might have been very different. Still, a review of the wines against the context of price, other Bordeaux vintages and other wine regions (yes, they exist! :D) doesn't leave me with much favourable to say about these wines, other than they are correct, clean, light and early-drinking....and very bad value.

That's the reds of course - and you are quite right to make a comment on the whites. The dry whites are a bit variable but many are good, not up to the quality of 2006 but often fresh and tasty, with good acidity and fruit. The sweet whites are brilliant though - a truly great vintage. I have just added my notes to my site yesterday on the Sauternes and conclude my introduction "These are fabulously enticing wines which certainly deserve a place in the cellar of any servant of the golden nectar." I think that just about says it!