My review of Harry's book on Amazon

JimHow

My review of Harry's book on Amazon

Post by JimHow »

Harry Karis has written the definitive book on the breathtaking wines of Chateauneuf du Pape. This book is encyclopedic. The historical sections are scholarly but eminently approachable; likewise the sections on geology, climate, and the science of wine-making techniques. The stunning photographs and graphic design of Harry’s son Phil capture the breathtaking beauty of the region. But it is Harry’s personal passion for the wines and the region that makes this such an enjoyable read. Everything you need to know about the wines of Chateauneuf du Pape and their history is literally within the nearly five hundred pages of this handsome volume. It is a fixture on my coffee table and will make a great holiday gift for some of my wine enthusiast friends. I love the anecdotes about the winemakers, the personal photographs and stories about the hundreds of estates reviewed by Harry. It is an amazing wine region populated by amazing winemakers, and Harry tells their story with an inspiration and a depth of knowledge that can only possibly have resulted from a complete personal immersion of his heart and soul into the miracle that is the southern Rhone. The amount of time and effort involved in this project over a period of four years must have been consuming and obsessive, but somehow I’m guessing it was a sweet pain for the author.

Jim Howaniec
Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts
Jay Winton

Re: My review of Harry's book on Amazon

Post by Jay Winton »

good work BD!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

it really is an amazing effort, I've read quite a bit of it in the past couple weeks. Harry has a great writing style as well. Some of the details can be complicated or detailed but he has an easy way of explaining or describing things. I think it is a result of his overall enthusiasm for the region. It's hard to explain, and this is probably going to come out the wrong way, but there's almost an innocence (in a good way) about the book, Harry's enthusiasm is so pure and uncorrupted. It's really a remarkable work, I can't say enough good things about it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I also think it will make a fine gift for the winner of the blind tasting at Chicago '10!

Speaking of which... I think we need to get Harry to Chicago this year for a Friday night dinner presentation on the wines of Chateauneuf du Pape....
Rick

Post by Rick »

A Friday night CdP presentation sounds like a great idea

rick
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I too think that a Friday CdP focused dinner sounds like a lovely idea.

Jon
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Thanks a lot Jim. I really appreciate this very much......... Chicago 2010 .....when will this take place?

CdP-Harry
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

March 25-28, 2010, Harry, you know we'd love to have you there, but no pressure, I realize it's a big commitment, etc.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I was looking at this book on Amazon last night, and with no knowledge of this thread, saw that the first review was from JimHow

https://www.amazon.com/Chateauneuf-du-P ... 081201719/

I realize Harry seems to have burned a number of posters (both here and on other chat boards) but I have been looking for this out of print book for a while.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still have it on my coffee table, along with Alfred Tesseron's volume that he gave us in 2015.

And don't forget to order "Lisbon Street," a Grisham-like novel about a street lawyer in Lewiston, Maine, for your last minute holiday shopping, available at

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisbon-Street-Ji ... C95&sr=8-1

and Barnes and Noble:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lisbon ... 1614347392