TN: 1998 Bahans Haut Brion

johnz

TN: 1998 Bahans Haut Brion

Post by johnz »

Not decanted. Opened and left in glass 1/2 hr before drinking. Classic nose of mint and smoke; in the mouth is vigorous cherry fruit with other maturing complex flavors of currants/plums and a slightly drying tannic edge. I was very happy with this wine -- 90 pts seems fair. It is good now, but should hold for some years, which I was happy to discover since I own a 3-liter of this wine and was worried about finding a large enough party to consume it. Drink or hold for 5+ years.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 1998 Bahans Haut Brion

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks John, seems like a good one to consume while the first wine is maturing. I heard the first wine is still a considerable distance from full maturity.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

johnz wrote:I own a 3-liter of this wine and was worried about finding a large enough party to consume it.
Bring it to the next BWE convention. They should be able to help with this problem.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good idea! Gary you're not that far from Chicago if I recall. You should join us there for the 10th anniversary BWE Convention, with or without a 3-L of Bahans.
johnz

Post by johnz »

In regards to the 2010 Chicago BWE event, thanks for the reminder and invite. Chris Bublitz (Winona Chief) has also reminded me of my close proximity to the Chicago event (I'm in Minneapolis, MN) and encouraged me to attend. I'd love to attend and will certainly try. In the meantime, I'll continue monitoring this site for some insight on my maturing stash of 80s-90s Bordeaux.

--Gary Rust