TNs: Stepping on a few s&#t in the Iberian minefield.

Ramon_NYC

TNs: Stepping on a few s&#t in the Iberian minefield.

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Just following up on Blanquito's thread about Spanish wines with these TNs.

TN’s on a few Spanish wines that I was able to retain my notes on. All of them young, as they were purchased with meals at various restaurants last week.

2005 Bodegas y Vinedos Alion, Ribera del Duero
This was quite good. Just about slightly modern to my taste. Immediately decanted upon being ordered. Oak and tannin at first, and during the course of the meal, the wine became smoother and showed layer after layer of lean black fruit. It was a match made with the terrific lamb chop entree that I had. I have no experience with older bottles of these, but I feel that this will get better with some cellar time. Paid about $75 in a very good Spanish restaurant. B+

2005 Tinto Pesquera Reserva, Ribera de Duero
Started much rougher than the Alion, but made, imho, in the more earthy and rustic traditional style. The nose on this wine can be off-putting with it’s slight funkiness, but I know that it wasn’t corked or anything like that as I’ve had previous experiences with Pesquera wines that also had similar bouquet. A big, dark wine that seemed to require tremendous amount of patience to integrate ... if it will at all. About $45 at Casa Lucio. B

2004 Remelluri Reserva “La Grana Nuestra de Remelluri”, Rioja
A new world style Rioja. Sweet, ripe, yet quite hollow. Wood notes. $35 at La Barraca. B-

2006 Pago de los Capellanes Crianza, Ribera del Duero
Ripe, thin, sweet fruit all over, forgettable. $27 at a forgettable restaurant in Segovia. C
Rick

Re: TNs: Stepping on a few s&#t in the Iberian minefield.

Post by Rick »

I had the 95 Tinto Pesquera, Ribera de Duero last night and it was diffently earthy and rustic......I too was wondering if it was corked but then said Nope I think this is just how this wine tastes. I have one more in my cellar - If I recall correctly i would say this wine was much better 5 plus years ago.

rick
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice notes, Ramon. I too disliked the Pago de los Capellanes, all sweet flab and oak if I recall correctly.

It's too bad Remelluri has gone down hill. Did they lose their winemaker in the late '90's who made all those great wines, Telmo Rodriguez? The 1996 was sensational.

I like Pesquera and when it's on its game like in 2001, there are few other better QPRs out there. My biggest beef with them is how irregular it can be from vintage to vintage, and they had a string of vintages in the late '90's with faulty/leaky corks. The 2004 is good and I hope heralds a return to form. I bought 4-5 after tasting one; I didn't think as much of the 2005, however. It's weird that it never seems very tannic to me, but it still needs time to shine.

I think the best value in Spain right now is the 2004 Muga Reserva if you can still find it; I sourced some for $22. Again, the 2005 isn't as good.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I'm with you, Patrick, that the 2001 Pesquera is a great wine. I also liked the 2004s when I tasted upon release and have a few stashed away.
Wow, $22 for a Muga Reserva is a great find. It might be hard to source at this price today. I've had a few from 1994 (have a couple stashed away) and have enjoyed all tasted bottles I've had with this vintage.