TN: 1999 Lynch Bages

Jay Winton

TN: 1999 Lynch Bages

Post by Jay Winton »

Better than previous bottles as the mid palate has filled in but the finish is a bit short with the flavors a bit harsh and one dimensional. This will never be a great LB but perfectly quaffable with our porterhouses last night.
stefan

Re: TN: 1999 Lynch Bages

Post by stefan »

Sounds like a typical left banker from 1999, Jay. I have a hunch that in ten years we'll be regretting that we drank most of these young.

stefan
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Thanks for the data point. I have only one bottle of this and have been sorely tempted to open this multiple times after reading various tasting notes. I think in the interest of science I'll just "lose" this bottle for another few years. Heck, what do I have to lose?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Gerry,

I think you will be fine "losing" that bottle for a few years. I posted a TN here a few months back on this wine; I liked it a lot on that night (after some time in the decanter). But I also think it is not at peak, and may be better in a few years. I agree with Jay that it will not likely be a classic LB such as the 1989, but I'm willing to bet it will put a nice smile on your face when you finally open it.

Jon
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JCNorthway wrote:Gerry,

I think you will be fine "losing" that bottle for a few years. I posted a TN here a few months back on this wine; I liked it a lot on that night (after some time in the decanter). But I also think it is not at peak, and may be better in a few years. I agree with Jay that it will not likely be a classic LB such as the 1989, but I'm willing to bet it will put a nice smile on your face when you finally open it.

Jon
yep, hands off for several years. I've got several 99 GPLs as well-need to see if that wine has improved but I'm not too hopeful based on some TNs I've read.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Jay Winton wrote:yep, hands off for several years. I've got several 99 GPLs as well-need to see if that wine has improved but I'm not too hopeful based on some TNs I've read.
I was fairly impressed with the 99 GPL, and a very nice 99 Leoville-Poyferré, but not so much with a great number of other 99 BXs that I've tasted recently.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)