2007 Raspail, Gigondas

William P

2007 Raspail, Gigondas

Post by William P »

I saw this at costco for a little over $16.00 and I thought I would give it a try. Do you remember Eric Burdon's line "Hugh Masakela's music was black as night". That is a apt description of this wine. Some in cellartracker who have reviewed this wine say cherries. What? I found nothing the resembles cherry. This is essence of dark siniter matter. It's tar, tobacco, dark pit fruit, and toast. From the nose to the finish, it's dark.

It possesses a medium full body and it's very concentrated. I can't say if this shows any sense of place. I don't usually drink rhones and I have no experience with this wine. It has a little tannic bite but not aggressively so. It is very well balanced, though a little lite on the acidity. It smoothed out after an hour or so. Frankly, I don't know where it's been, I don't know where it's going but it a well made wine that is a bargain at that price point.

If you want cherries and white flowers don't go here. If you see it, buy a bottle because you may be surprised.
DavidG

Re: 2007 Raspail, Gigondas

Post by DavidG »

Dark sinister matter and well-balanced sounds good to me...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

This used to be a wine I bought by the case (or more) back in the mid-90s up through 2000 or so. Then it started to increase a bit in price (close to $20 vs. less than $15), so I stopped buying it. I always thought it was a great QPR, and may still be. If I could find it at $16, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Jon
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jon
I agree I use to buy this to every year but it got to pricy - however $16 sounds very good
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I just looked for this wine on Wine Searcher and came up with nothing. Does anyone know if this wine is only now being released in the US?

Jon