TN: A walk on the wild side.

JonoB

TN: A walk on the wild side.

Post by JonoB »

2007 Chambolle-Musigny; La Combe D'Orveau; Domaine Anne Gros

It feels a bit odd that although I love Old Claret, my first TN here should be about a Burgundy, but so be it!

Tasted with colleagues at work this afternoon, and quite a good start before my night of La Conseillante supping!

Slightly ferrel, bovril, smoky bacon, meaty, band aid, medicinal nose with hints of wild strawberry, and cherry; ground coffee beans, and milk chocolate. A touch of stony minerals, with nice balance although not a huge amount of tannin [what is there is soft]. A sort of herby unripeness but not green, which I find pleasant (and a trait I've found in a number of 07 Red Burgs). Pleasant finish that mirrors the nose and palate. Light and meek, but with something waiting to jump out and draw you in! ***(*+); I like it and I think I've been a bit harsh with my scoring I think it could be quite beguiling in 5-10 years!

I can't help but feel with this wine that although shy and meek at the moment it will turn into quite a seductrice; you almost feel like you have to sell your soul to the devil in order to see what this is really all about, and that high note of joy and pleasure however sweet will ultimately be short, and the repercussions grave, but somehow more than worth taking the chance; I am pleased that I've purchased some of this EP! :twisted:
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: A walk on the wild side.

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jono - be sure to report back on your La Conseillante vertical. For me the 1989 was right up there in the premier division in our BWE 1989 horizontal in October.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jono,

>>>It feels a bit odd that although I love Old Claret, my first TN here should be about a Burgundy, but so be it!

No one loves Bordeaux more than me, and It's a bit odd too that the meal we will share is all Burgundy and that I will be spending 10 days in the Côte d'Or in January...

Anne Gros is a wonder woman. When she does good work (which is most often), it is a marvel to behold.

And, a decided advantage of Burgundy, you don't *necessarily* have to wait decades to enjoy it....

All the best,
Alex R.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Ian- am about to post my notes... it was wonderful, and I was sat next to Jean-Michel himself, we had quite a good chat...

Alex- If I keep my word to Jeremy C, [but this will be with everyone's permission] the still wines won't just be Burgundy!
And I agree Anne Gros is a gem... although there have been a lot of complaints about her 07s (i.e she put too much attention into the Minervois and the Cotes de Nuits has suffered!)... I don't buy it; Ok her Bourgogne Rouge is a quaffer, and I should never have let it go into Bond, but the rest will keep and have a mineral pedigree! I think they really could be sleepers!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
No one loves Bordeaux more than me
>>

Except for stefan & Lucie.

stefan
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Stefan,

OK, just one notch down then ;-)))))))))))

Alex