TN: 2004 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino

JimHow

TN: 2004 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino

Post by JimHow »

• 2004 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/9/2009)
    The issue here is not whether this is a quality wine, because it is delicious and crowd pleasing. It is structured and tannic but the fruit is big and mouth-coating.
    The issue is at what price point do you buy this wine? In the $60+ range you are starting to stretch it, as I would much rather have that '04 Pintia I had the other night at $45.
    Penetrating nose, black fruits on the attack, goes down smoothly for an otherwise pretty rugged wine.
    Needs more time. (91 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
JonoB

Re: TN: 2004 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino

Post by JonoB »

Tried it and thought it very good a few months ago!

Very ripe and modern, but tasty!

Brunello seems on the whole to be better value on this side of the Pond, more in the Pintia/ALion sort of price range!

Argiano is also one of those that was noted in the Brunello-gate as a 'fraud' by the Italian authorities! But that doesn't change the fact that its a very good wine!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
jal

Post by jal »

It only makes sense around $40 Jim, you're right. I think that's what it goes for in NY.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, i think I paid about $50 at Zachy's last year.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Did you make your PJ's/RMP 90 point Iberian run yet Jim? I just got an email from them about the 06 Arzuaga. I'm not sure about the vintage characteristics but this will likely be an impressive wine @$20. I had the 2000 once and it was intense. I can vouch for the chocolate and mint, in fact their description is very similar to my note on the 2000. I'm tempted to buy some but a) I just made snagged a bunch of Chiantis and mini super Tuscans and b) I don't want to ship from the east coast any more until spring.

The average price for Brunello is simply too much for me, particularly given my one go of it (Frescobaldi Castelgiocondo) I thought it was bested by a very good CCR (name escapes me) at probably half the price. Of course that may have been a more classically-styled Brunello. I've had good success with some Vino Nobile di Montepulcianos which is like a cross between Brunello and Chianti (same grape and between the regions) but I'm seeing now that even the Poliziano is $50.

2006 Arzuaga Crianza
A spectacular Tempranillo blend from Ribera Del Duero, with layered aromas that transform in the glass and on the palate.

2006 Arzuaga Crianza $19.99

Peñafiel Castle sits atop a steep cliff, perfect for defending against medieval invaders, as well as offering a terrific view of the Duero River, a wild game reserve, and the Arzuaga vineyards where this wine is produced. It’s a breathtaking view, but we think it’s the wine, not the scenery, that draws so many people to the region.

That would be doubly true if the wine in question was this Crianza. Now, much has been made about the differences between Crianzas and Reservas—24 months of aging versus 36, with 6 of those in oak for the Crianza and 12 for the Reservas—but raise this glass to your nose and forget all about those comparisons. Also, forget about the other long-standing argument about old style versus new style. In fact, just forget everything about everything, and enjoy this wine; something that will be quite easy to do once you’ve pulled the cork.

The first thing you’ll notice about the aromatics emitting from the glass is the complexity, and we recommend enjoying this with a group of friends just to compare how many different scents are generated by this layered feast. Dark fruits, spearmint, sarsaparilla are all there, as well as the surprise arrival of some milk chocolate, balsamic, and cinnamon. Really, the list goes on and on. Amazing, and that’s all before you even taste. There, you’ll discover that the fruit continues, backed up by an herbal quality that finishes with a wisp of mint.

The acid and tannins are also balanced, and the first food pairing that jumped into our heads (or was it our stomachs?) was lamb. Ideally, lamb slowly cooked in a clay pot, just as they do in the region where this wine is born. But if there’s no time to dig out you traditional Castillian clay, a steak or roast chicken will also fit the bill. Or simply enjoy it alone, and get lost in its maze of aromas, like the twisting alleys of Peñafiel’s medieval fortress.

PJ Wine Extraordinary Wines. Exceptional Prices.
212 567-5500 | fax: 212 567-2743 | info@pjwine.com | www.pjwine.com
©2009 PJ Wine
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm glad you pointed this out to me, Hound, I'll add it to the list.
I have quite a list of spanish wines from PJs, I'll reproduce it here after I finalize the list of RMP90+ wines that will make the cut for: "The Great BWE Spanish Wine Experiment."
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

aka the spanish inquisition.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...even better....
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

or the Spanish deposition...