TNs: Various Bordeaux 1953-1990

Otto Nieminen

TNs: Various Bordeaux 1953-1990

Post by Otto Nieminen »

On January 15th, we had a very interesting tasting of mature and matureish Bordeaux.

We started with a Hugel Riesling Vendage Tardive 1989 (14% abv; 25g/l RS; 6,4g/l acidity) which was much nicer than a previous bottle I had tried. The earlier bottle had had nice and pure Riesling aromas but was a bit flabby. This bottle, however, seemed to have much higher acidity: though obviously from a warm year, it was refreshing and moreish. It wasn't terribly petrolly but did have a purity of Rieslingness that was very charming. A very satisfying bottle and one that has a long life ahead.

Then we had our main line-up, for once not blind!

Château Beychevelle 1953 St.-Julien

Sadly this was utterly dead. On the merchant's web site the level was promised as much higher than this bottle's low shoulder.

Château L'Évangile 1964 Pomerol

This was a truly lovely old wine. It seemed like quintessential aged Pomerol to me with its plummy, elegant and dark fruit and perhaps even a touch of funk. With air, the fruit became brighter and showed more red berry aromas. It has aged very gracefully and still shows some dark fruit, but the structure is fully resolved. Persistent and refreshing aftertaste. To me, an ideal moment to drink it.

Château Lascombes 1975 Margaux

This has a powerful aroma of strawberry and was very sweet and red toned (and perhaps had a touch of VA, too). It developed some clay and liquorice scents with time. Tannic, sweet and strawberried, quite high acidity. Though Lascombes was supposedly in a bad phase at this time, I didn't think this was a bad wine at all. And though 1975 has the reputation for tannins overwhelming the fruit, I found this to be balanced. My one criticism of this otherwise charming wine was that it was a bit one dimensional in this company.

Château Nenin 1975 Pomerol

This was really a treat! Like with the L'Evangile, I thought this to be an archetype of Pomerol. A bit loamy, plummy, dark but sweet and expressive fruit. Elegant but pleasantly structured palate but the fruit is more to the fore (once again, no sign of those '75 overwhelming tannins). Long and refreshing and moreish. Lovely!

Château Pichon-Baron 1989 Pauillac

Very, very sweet scent, cassis rather than blackberry leaves, still some oak present and it even has some banana scents. Full bodied, sweet, very ripe and so soft that I wondered if they spoofulated already in the late '80s. Frankly quite anonymous and lacking in personality in this company.

Château Lynch-Bages 1989 Pauillac

This was quite a lovely wine. Though the fruit showed that it was obviously from a warm year, it wasn't over-ripe to my tastes. Once it started to open up (it was still a youngster) it showed as a classic Pauillac with its earthy and slightly herbaceous notes but that classic style was coupled to sweeter than usual fruit (which, for once, I didn't mind at all!). Lovely!

Château Pichon-Lalande 1990 Pauillac

A really lovely, classic Pauillac scent: herbaceous, blackcurrant leaves, dark fruit, elegant and cedary rather than overtly fruity. Lighter than the the two '89s preceding it (and none the worse for it), but with good structure and fruit. Very refreshing and moreish. Lovely!

Practically all critics bash this wine and say it is too green and thin. I have had it only a couple times but it has always seemed like a very classically proportioned wine to me - which is amazing, since it was the product of such a hot vintage. I tend to prefer classical proportions to silicon implants, so I won't complain when this is served to me.

Château Branaire-Ducru 1990 Margaux

Dark and over-ripe to my nostrils. It had too much blueberry and fat. It did turn a bit leafy with time, but it still seemed to lack the grace of Grecian statues. Full bodied and sweet, dark toned fruit, very concentrated and oddly enough highish acidity. A bit of a brute. I imagine I might be more forgiving if it was the only wine on the table, but with such a plethora of riches beside it, I feel a bit disappointed.
Previously known as Geshtin.
stefan

Re: TNs: Various Bordeaux 1953-1990

Post by stefan »

Good and interesting notes, Otto.

I have not had as bad a bottle of '90 Pichon Lalande as some here, but also have not had as good a one as you drank.

My experience is that it is hard to pick between the '89 Pichon Baron and the '89 Lynch Bages.

stefan
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Stefan,

This was an interesting tasting because it wasn't blind (as we usually have our tastings) so everyone came with a prejudice against the Lalande '90 - yet everyone fell in love with its elegance. I would have thought that a universally praised wine like the Baron '89 would have been more widely liked, but no: several of us found it too soft. I wonder how things would have been if our group had had this tasting the way we usually do: blind.

-Otto
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I wonder why there is such a wide disparity of opinion about the 1990 Pichon Lalande? I recall drinking about three bottles of that wine in my earlist experiences with Bordeaux, long before I ever heard of Robert Parker, let alone his 79 point rating of the wine. I thought it was extremely thin and green, I thought there must have been some flaw in the winemaking that year. I haven't had a bottle since but over the years I heard only extreme impressions about the wine-- ranging from Parker's 79 point experiences to descriptions similar to Otto's. It seems very unusual that experiences could be so dramatically different.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think Otto may be describing the same wine you had, Jim - green and herbaceous rather than overtly fruity. Some people really enjoy that and see it as a hallmark of classic Bdx. Others like lush ripe fruit, the riper and lusher the better, and can't stand even a hint of herbaceousness. And some like it in between. The sweet spot (maybe not the best choice of words?) for ripeness and fruit concentration appears to differ from one person to another. I tend to like them lusher and riper, but find a bit of green to add complexity and interest, if it is just a little. Ripe fruit is just fine with me so long as the alcohol doesn't poke out too hard and there is good balance with the tannins and acidity.

OTOH, the disparity of opinions on this wine seems to be so great that one wonders if some portion of the production was handled or treated differently than the rest.

I had the '90 Pichon Lalande only once, and came away with a "too green" impression. Knowing that Otto is very consistent and reliable with his descriptions, I am pretty sure I would have had a similar impression if I were sitting next to him drinking from the same bottle at this tasting.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Jim, I don't think it is surprising that experiences are so vastly different with the wine: as David says, the degree one likes greenness in wine will vary considerably. As I am sure is obvious from what I post here and on the previous incarnation of the board, I think I might be at one extreme of tolerance for greenness. Within what I consider aesthetic, Platonic ideals, the Cabernets both should have a refreshing greenness. I do not think my liking of greenness is anything I should apologize about though it isn't hugely popular! :) Let's just all continue to enjoy what we enjoy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't think you should apologize for it either, Otto! I like a certain level of greenness and austerity as well. I haven't had the '90 Pichon Lalande in over a decade, it may be that the wine was just so significantly different then from the other Bordeaux of the '80s, a lot of which I was drinking at the time, that I thought it was "defenctive" when, in actuality, it was just "different."
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

No apologies necessary, Otto! Your notes and palate are very consistent. To me, that is more valuable than whether we have similar preferences. I know I can depend on your descriptions.