Winter storm TNs

Jay Winton

Winter storm TNs

Post by Jay Winton »

I think I'm in Maine. We are getting absolutely buried with snow, possibly 25" before it ends tonight or early tomorrow. Fortunately, there was plenty of warning so the vino larder is well prepared. Last night I opened:

2007 Château de Saint-Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion en magnum
. Quite drinkable and quite tasty now . As DavidG noted previously, some heat and slightly rough around the edges but this is one of the best CDRs I've tried so far with lots of juicy fruit and probably not to Stefan's palate :D. I'm glad there are 5 mags remaining. I'll post more specific notes later when I try it on Day 2. Tonight will be Bordeaux.

This has continued to drink well on day 2 and day 3. Quite an impressive showing.
Last edited by Jay Winton on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Re: Winter storm TNs

Post by Rick »

we need TNs on the 07 telegramme too
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, it sounds like it is not one for me unless I am eating pancakes.

T & J made it to Princeton just before the storm broke in NJ. They, like you, will be spending a lot of time inside. Meanwhile, here it is sunny and cool--perfect weather for golf. No time today, as Lucie & I will celebrate our Xmas, but tomorrow we'll be on the course.

Happy Holidays to Mr. and Mrs. Vino.

stefan & Lucie
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Geez I need to drive from NYC back to Maine tomorrow morning, that should be fun...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Does anyone know when the storm is supposed to end tomorrow in the NYC/ southern Connecticut area?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Blanquito or Ramon, can you give me a call 207-754-3900.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Rick wrote:we need TNs on the 07 telegramme too
still hasn't arrived at garagiste in seattle. Wine Library has a one day sale on 06 Clos St Jean CNDP for $33 with code SNOW09J so I bought a couple, also some other wines.
Meanwhile the snow intensifies, we've left Maine and are headed to the Yukon. Supposed to stop late tonight or tomorrow.

snowman vino
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Luckily I have four snow tires on!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Here in Maryland, I'm enjoying a very fine New Begium 1554 Black Ale while I watch the snow. We are at 15 inches and still snowing in Silver Spring.

Chris Bublitz
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Last edited by Tom In DC on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

With veal marsala, we will drink the 2000 Lalande-Borie. Almost fully mature with a hint of tannic structure, the St Julien hallmark elegance is present, typical Bordeaux flavors and quite balanced-A+ for QPR value as I paid less than $200 for the case. I saved a glass for tonight as a reward for the shoveling about to commence. Not sure what will be opened for tonight. Mrs Vino's famous King Ranch Chicken is the entree so possibly a pinot of some kind?
Last edited by Jay Winton on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

At our Xmas 2009, Day -2, we drank 2000 Pol Roger Rose (great!) and will have '96 La Lagune for dinner.

stefan
Claret

Post by Claret »

Tom, that is a good amount of snow. We had a total of 20 inches last week from 3 storms, with a sunrise low temp of 9 below zero.

Jim, snow tires made a bigger difference that I had previously imagined. We do not get a lot of snow every year, but they pay for themselves on poorly plowed roads and hilly inclines when the snow accumulates. Also much easier than chaining up when there are controls.

Tonight's festivities include my penultimate bottle of 1989 Meyney and grilled dry rubbed buffalo tritip. My early impression is of a classic Meyney at its peak. Yet another 1989 that is singing now. Dark fruit, cedar and earth on the nose, with similar flavors. A long and fairly smooth finish with resolved tannins echoing with earth and a whiff of smoke. The futures price from Pop's was $175 for the case.

Meyney from 1982, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1990 is a sure bet.

Glenn
Glenn
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jay

I could not wait :) Kathy and I were going to dinner and wasting some time for the place to open so we wnet into a wine store in Nashville
There I found a 07 Telgramme with only a $15 corkage I said what the heck....now the wine was 45 - that I thought seemed high but ITNOS I bought one

It pretty much sucked for that price.......it was pretty hot, lots opf tannins some good underlying fruit chaukiness , spices, hot again......hopefully the Alch level will go down

rick
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Rick wrote:Jay

I could not wait :) Kathy and I were going to dinner and wasting some time for the place to open so we wnet into a wine store in Nashville
There I found a 07 Telgramme with only a $15 corkage I said what the heck....now the wine was 45 - that I thought seemed high but ITNOS I bought one

It pretty much sucked for that price.......it was pretty hot, lots opf tannins some good underlying fruit chaukiness , spices, hot again......hopefully the Alch level will go down

rick
sounds like it needs some time. Where do you buy wine in Nashville? I never see any deals in TN!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I doubt $45 for the telegramme is anywhere near a deal...........some wine store in Brentwood
I am finishing it tonight and it tastes like a $15 Spainish Granacha