TN: 1998 Clerc Milon

William P

TN: 1998 Clerc Milon

Post by William P »

Well the wife went to Carmel for the weekend, so it is time to start the weekend festivities.

Popped and poured.

Color: medium ruby, translucent. Not very leggy.
Nose: Floral, berry, vanilla bean. Nicely engaging. Now picking up a faint touch of new sawdust.

I'll give it a few minutes before tasting.

Body: medium body, medium-full concentration. Wonderful balance, kiss of acidity gives it a bright profile, tannins making their presence felt but not in an aggressive manner. The tannins are a bit dusty in a good way. Deep rich fruit.
William P

Re: TN: 1998 Clerc Milon

Post by William P »

Nose: now evolving to cedar profile.

Taste: cassis, cedar, excellent complexity.

Finish: The finish is the achellis heel of this very nice wine. The finish is a little short about 30 seconds. There is a slight drying sensation. Nonetheless this is a winner.

I really like wine. I believe it will reach it's plateau in about three or four years but the structure should allow a much longer life. Vintage 1998 was panned and this wine in particular seems to disappoint but I think it has turned the corner.
William P

Post by William P »

Four hours into the wine and it continues to improve. Very tight and muscular. A little darker profile that I originally thought. Rich berries with some coffee and minerals. Very impressive.
JScott

Post by JScott »

Hi Bill. I had one of these maybe a year ago and it was pretty mean. Kind of structured and tannic. I think I have one more but intended to let it sit and get into a better mood. Maybe soft music, a pillow.
William P

Post by William P »

JScott, one insight by the end of the evening, the wine will last much longer than I originally thought.

The provenance of this bottle was questionable, so it may be that it was more developed than those well stored from purchase. I was really impressed nevertheless.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I don't see a lot of posting on left bank 98s. I'm not sure what is the ownership level even. I guess the thing to do was buy the right bank. I will say this though I have really enjoyed every left bank 98 I've had. This is mostly petite chateau but includes the Ducru and the Sociando Mallet. I have a Latour, which is not supposed to be very impressive. Wonder when I can open that.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

I've enjoyed every left bank 1998 I've. had. Some more than others, and mostly the day popped, not the following day.

It's not a long lived vintage, but not a 'bad' one. Some cellars will demonstrate a better vintage than others.

I have many 1998 left bankers. I've enjoyed Sociando-Mallet, GPL, Lynch-Bages, among others. Very good wines. At the times, with the food. Sometimes by themselves.

I'm of the ilk to judge based on my experience, and 1998 actually seems much better than 1997 which I think most critics gave a higher rating to.

Oh well, just me. That's what counts.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Alch, I think the critics tend to agree with you on preferring the '98s to the '97s. Certainly for the right bank and southern Medoc, and even a little for the northern Medoc. I've had no complaints about the '98s, right and left bank. Not vintage of the century wines, but quite nice. I think they are bigger than their '97 counterparts in many cases, which appeals to me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We had a discussion about the '98 left bank wines a few years back and I think a number of us concluded that the '98 left bank is an underrated vintage. I've had the '98 Ducru recently and it is very solid.
William P

Post by William P »

I was impressed with this wine. I wish I had more.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

i opened a 1998 Clerc-milon not so long ago. Here what I wrote : 1998 Chateau Clerc-Milon. The CM was more Pauillac in style. Darker red color, nose was fine with jalapenos peppers, dark wood, dark berries and mushrooms, a little more closed than the LB. In mouth, attack on dark berries, graphite and minerals. White peppers and more dark berries on the mid-palate. good concentration. More tannins, structure and length than the LB. Masculine style. TN : 91. This will age for 5 years easily.

Comparing with your notes, it is like my bottle has aged faster.

Nic
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

I bought a case of the 98 Ducru Beaucaillou and it's the least of that vintage I've tried based on tasting the 'lesser' houses. I just kinda like DB anyway. Trying to keep my hands off the 96's. Might have some 2000 of this also....The Brown 2000 was nice.

But I did buy some Haut-Brion, Margaux, and Mouton 1998 because, well, when you can get First Growths at $90 off the shelf, you do. Especially when they first come available. Might have Latour also, been so long. Don't think I have Lafitte.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I recall tasting Duhart Milon shortly after release. The lead pencil nose and overall balance were very pleasant, and I bought a couple of bottles.

1998 Left Banks may be better than originally thought. It seems like any Bordeaux vintage including the lesser ones, takes a decade or more to show its real colors.
Glenn