TN: Chateau Greysac 2005

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Chateau Greysac 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Chateau Greysac 2005

This was an interesting wine in the context of the vintage. And it was tasty, too. I've been drinking some '04 Greysac and enjoying them (very dry, but not too green) at a good price so I decided to try the 2005 which just arrived (?) at a good price of $14. Dark purple, not a lot on the nose, some dark fruits lurking. Tannic and well balanced. Some cassis or black currants and other nice dark fruits on the medium bodied (for '05) palate, which had the vintage's silky, sexy texture. A decent finish but somewhat hot and tannic. Overall, a very enjoyable wine for the price. But at the same time, the funny thing was that it tasted like so many other '05s that I've tried that cost more. Highly drinkable and good value.

-Chasse
Blanquito

Re: TN: Chateau Greysac 2005

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks, Chris. The 1990 version was great QPR and aged nicely for 7-8 years.
winodiver

Post by winodiver »

I agree the 1990 Greysac is a wonderful wine. I just finished my last bottle, and it is still drinking beautifully. I remember reading an article about Greysac by Gerald Asher in Gourmet magazine in which he had a lot of good things to say about the 1990 too.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to stock up on this wine. I'm amazed that it lasted 19 years and also that you managed to keep it that long, winodiver.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks Chasse - UK readers may know that this is a Majestic staple - have to say I found the 05 a bit stalky and unbalanced some months ago but at £10...

R
winodiver

Post by winodiver »

Chasse, Yes me too. But I move around a lot in my career, meaning my wine is store in various places. I just happened to find a bottle of this recently that I had laid away some years ago.