Wine most often drunk in 09?

rjsussex

Wine most often drunk in 09?

Post by rjsussex »

Happy new year to you all from a snow-bound UK.

Not best wine of 09 but which wine did you open most often in 09?

For me it's a surprise and I owe it entirely to you guys of BWE who returned me to Sangiovese after many years of spurning it. Many thanks to all the expert Sangio fans on this board.

So it wasn't a claret, it was Villa Cafaggio Chianti Classico 06, at around £10 in UK (if lucky). Not the best CC or Rosso di Montalcino I enjoyed in 09 (best of those for me was Lisini's Rosso 04 and indeed Cafaggio's CC Riserva 04 - both great buys at c£16) but the everyday Cafaggio CC 06 is simply head and shoulders above anything I bought from France at £10 - a really structured, vivid burst of clean, pure, intelligently made Sangio fruit, subtly oaked, perhaps not very old-style Chianti but just lovely wine.

Many cases later I'm still ordering more.

Best

Richard
William P

Re: Wine most often drunk in 09?

Post by William P »

Probably the Potel 05 Volnay. Couldn't keep my hands off it in early 09.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I'm in the same sangiovese camp as Richard. I went through almost 2 cases of 2005 Felsina Chianti Classico during 2009. It was nicely balanced with good fruit and structure. I know it would be better in a few years, but I could not keep my hands off of it. I've tried the 2006, and it is also very good; but the 2006 really does need a bit of time to soften up - or needs decanting for a while.

Second place would go to 2008 Mas Des Bressades rose. I went through over a case of that - not counting the half case consumed by folks at a summer outdoor gathering. It was the perfect summer quaffing wine. Many a glass were sipped while the grille was being prepped.

Jon
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Just a wild guess but it might have been the 2004 Ch. d'Aiguilhe. Fairly easy to appreciate, not expensive and no worries about wasting a bottle that might not be ready to go.

Speaking of Tuscany without doubt one wine I wished I drank or had more of is the 2004 Terre Vecchie Montefili Bruno di Rocca. It's got me dabbling into the Sang/Cab blends more now. The only thing in the same IGT vein I've had before was the Crognolo but that is Sang/Merlot and although it's tasty it has not gotten to me like the Bruno di Rocca did. I wish I'd bought a case of it but not having had it I hedged my bets with five.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Hound,

We're on the same page with the first enjoying the last of a case of the 2004 d'Aiguilhe. Wonderful Bordeaux new world style with nice balance depth and complexity. A Perennial favourite out of the Derrenencourt stable of wines. He has become one of the great winemakers of Bordeaux if you like the New World extraction.

My second would be the stable of single vineyard Calera pinots. I think that I've picked up three cases of the 03 + 04's including a mix of Ryan,Mills,Reed and Jensen.I haven't tried the Selleck. All of these are very recognizable as Calera produced without the extraction and jaminess of the typical Californian Pinots. They more resemble some of the Oregon juice like Drouhin as my closest comparison. Unfortunately we get very few Oregon wines in Ontario. Well balanced with nice light red fruits brimming with raspberries and strawberries with a lovely spiciness. Still one of my favourite pinot finds.Not bad considering 5 years ago I hadn't found any pinot that I enjoyed. There certainly is a lot of bad pinot noir being made.

Danny
Danny
Rick

Post by Rick »

for me it has to be 2007 S Rhones.....a number of 04 Bordeaux early in year but as the 07 S Rhones hit the self ITNOS I had to try many to determine what to buy as they flew off the selves

I wonder if we will see the 07s re-emerge, lower priced, as the 2009s hit the self in a few years

rick
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Local (Australian) chardonnay and white burgundy
Red Burgundy

Classed growths on special occasions
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

No single one - that's not my routine, but I am on the same page as Rick: '07 Southern Rhones.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good question, I drank a lot of those 2005 Jadot Premier Cru reds in 2009, as well as the '05 Potel Volnay....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

3 bottles of 1989 Meyney topped my list, I think.

For categories, I drank a lot of 2004/06 Sangiovese, 2007 S. Rhone, and a bunch of 06/07 German Riesling.
JonB

Post by JonB »

While I had a lot of wines 2 times, none more than that. No single category stands out...'07 S.Rhones, Washington State reds, Chianti, '06/07 Riesling, '05 Bourgogne....and a few Bordeaux.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have no idea, but if you ask from which winery did I drink the most bottles of wines from one varietal the answer is St. Innocent Pinot Noir.

stefan
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

This is a great thread and question, it really makes you think about your habits and what you might do to improve the overall quality of life ;0) But I have to say, I'm basically with JonB. I drank most 'special' wines only one or two times. The ones I drank cases of were QPR quaffers, mainly Loire Valley whites. I drank quite a few de Sales in different vintages, '02, '04, '05, '06.
-Chasse