TN: Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2006

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2006

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2006

I first bought and drank this wine with the 2001 which was super and more classic - but I had started drinking it at around the 5 year mark, which would account for it coming together so nicely then. The '03 was modern and fat, and the '04 seemed to be so much more modern styled that I stopped drinking it for awhile. But the '06 is excellent, potentially a best of all worlds or maybe more on the classic side. Time will tell.

Translucent ruby garnet with a subtle but rich nose w/ chocolate, vanilla oak and red/black fruits, a sort of kirch-like aroma or maybe cassis, very rich in any event. Chocolate cherries, I finally decide. Fine tannins, medium body and a very long finish. Great balance, quite dry. Elegant, complex and powerful. Gains weight in the glass and food. Very structured, with an almost hallucinogenic acidity. Subtle spice notes - baking spices? Paprika? After the food, the tannins really spring to life and you can delinieate all the major elements of the wine, fruit, acidity, tannins, sweet oak. A tightly wound wine that needs time and will last for many years. Not a huge amount of Chianti typicity on the face of it, although I don't think I ever tasted such a packed and stacked Chianti riserva so young. A great wine with a very long finish for an unheard of price in today's market.

-Chris
Blanquito

Re: TN: Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva 2006

Post by Blanquito »

At $17, sounds like a candidate for QPR of the year!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

You're killing me.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I paid $20 and haven't seen it for less, although I did see it at 4 stores. Even the clip joint in SoHo has it for $23. Def a bargain.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

So, Garnet has a 10% off on mixed case reds (15% off on solid case reds) and I included a few of these with my order. With discount, my price was just under $18 per. A good price, imho, and I may go for more since the sale lasts until March iirc. Here's my TN:

TN: 2006 Fattoria Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva

Wood and meadow earth on the nose. This medium-bodied wine is still tannic but showed lively cherry and raspberry acidity. Will disappoint those looking for the fruit-forward stuff, but the lean fruit complements the nice overall structure. Specks of white pepper. Went very well with heavy red=sauced pasta and sweet Italian sausage dish. B+
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Just finishing up another unbelievable vacation with 3 other couples at the BEST golf resort up and coming anywhere!!!For golf lovers of the world second to none Punta Espada at Cap cana resort in the Dominican Republic is amazing. I'd love to host a BWE event here but logistics might be difficult.This is truly one of the great courses of the world with 10 holes overlooking the ocean,wind howling,and typical Nicklass design taking into account well positioned obstacles/hazards from every tee. No bailout areas into the greens on most holes makes life miserable but exciting.This course is better than sex for a golf fanatic. Kinda like sucking back Petrus and le Pin for a week!!

Monsanto no doubt is one of the best Chianti producers but I think they are pricing themselves out of my market. I remember buying this wine in the $14 range and now it's $28.95!!!

For any of the golf lovers out there that would like to have an experience of a lifetime my buddy has a couple of amazing Villas that I've had the pleasure of being at now for the fourth time right on the 17th/10th hole and oceanfront at Punta Espada golf club. Private beach,pool butler, cook,maid etc. Truly lifestyles of the rich and famous but not that expensive for four couples for the week for friends and friends of friends. JLo/Mark Anthony,Denzel Washington
,Nicklass,Stadler,Norman,Tim Finchem,Watson and many more have stayed here. Kinda cool knowing that Jack and his wife have slept in the same bed that you are sleeping in!!

Last day of fun in the sun along with great golf. Shot 80 today in three club wind and still lost money to my sandbagging friends!!Three lost balls and 4 double bogeys and still lost! Stefan I understand Texas has some pretty good wind but this is brutal at times with a constant offshore gale blowing. Amazing place for golfers and lovers alike.

Nothing better that fun golf,great wine and happy wives!!!

Danny
Danny
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

The Monsanto is widely available in the States for $17-18 usd. I haven't played there but I think I've been out in that area Punta Cana and the north coast of the DR/Hispanola and it is a very rugged cliffy coastline with raging surf. Haven't teed it up in years and I'm sure I'd be picking up the balls I didn't lose on every hole. Went down there a few years ago to visit some state dept. friends but stayed on the south coast beaches mainly. Might be going back there as he is likely making a return assignment when he finishes up in Abu Dhabi.