2009 BWE Wine of the Year: 1989 Lafite Rothschild

JimHow

2009 BWE Wine of the Year: 1989 Lafite Rothschild

Post by JimHow »

It took ten years, but Chateau Lafite has finally made it to the hallowed hall of fame of the august group of wine lovers known as Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.

We had the wine at a tasting organized by Ian in NYC. It was showing beautifully with some other heavyweights from the 1989 vintage, with a long life ahead of it.

The choice of a 1989 Bordeaux seems especially appropriate during the twenty-year anniversary of the 1989 vintage, a James Suckling kind of year for Bordeaux, one where the Wine Spectator scribe may have actually gotten it right. I'm guessing most Bordeaux wine lovers prefer 1990 slightly over 1989, but for me-- and J. Suckling Esquire-- I think I prefer the bigger, more classic style of 1989 to the '90s.

Thank you Ian for contributing the 1989 Lafite Rothschild to our great dinner in New York, and thank you to everyone for your input in the selection of the 2009 BWE Wine of the Year!

BWE Wines of the Year

2000: 1996 Sociando-Mallet
2001: 1989 Lynch-Bages
2002: 1995 d'Yquem
2003: 1999 Haut Brion Blanc
2004: 2000 Pichon Baron and 2000 du Tertre
2005: 2000 Margaux
2006: 2003 Pontet-Canet
2007: 2002 Leoville Poyferre
2008: 2005 Burgundy vintage (protest vote)
2009: 1989 Lafite Rothschild
Nicklasss

Re: 2009 BWE Wine of the Year: 1989 Lafite Rothschild

Post by Nicklasss »

Jim, I'm happy that Lafite got that mention at BWE, but at the same time, I don't feel that wine respect the majority of the original rules of BWE WOTY. As the BD is always right on BWE, it is hard to argue against that, but remember that I'm a ''crazy french canadian'' , so to protest, I don't need to taste the wines of the 2010 convention, I'm already giving my vote to the 1989 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron over the 1989 Chateau Lynch Bages...

Nic (with some deception on his face).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I thought of your previous comments in that regard, Nic, when I selected the '89 Lafite.
I'm not sure we have ever listed out any defined rules, though.
Some years we have picked under-the-radar wines like '96 Sociando and 2002 Leoville poyferre, other times we have picked first growths like d'Yquem and Margaux.
It is sort of one of those "you-know-it-when-you-see-it" type of awards....
And the anniversary of the 1989 vintage weighed into the decision as well....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I know there were no definitive rules for the WOTY. But I'm pretty sure that in the old Microsoft Community, it was written somewhere things like :

- Relatively affordable and good disponibility.
- A special Bordeaux wine.
- Most of the BWEers have experienced/tried.

Probably more other ''non definitive rules'' did exist on the previous board. The 1989 Chateau Lafite Rothschild is probably a great wine, no doubts, but to me, respect only rule no 2 up there.

Anyway, in 2010, I'll just not loose any time thinking what I would propose as BWE WOTY, as I think that since the 2008 WOTY, the basic rule is ''a wine the BD have appreciated''. I respect that.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

First of all I would like to congratulate Our Dear Leader, Comrade How, for his sagacity and wisdom in choosing the 1989 Chateau Lafite as a worthy winner of such a prestigious accolade.

Comrade Nicklass your point is well taken but previous winners of this award have included Haut Brion Blanc 1999, Yquem 1995 and Margaux 2000, which is an even more expensive wine than the '89 Lafite.

Moreover I am sure that if you were present at our 1989 tasting in October you would have been the first to stand up and applaud Our Dear Leader, Comrade How's, executive decree on the matter. Try and make sure you can make the next one in October (vintage and venue TBA)!

While all the pre match hype and verbal was between Lynch 'The Bruiser" Bages and Haut Brion "The Cruiser" I was quietly confident that the Lafite would acquit itself well. I was tipping it for a possible podium finish but did not quite expect it to walk away from the golden gong on the night.

I think the Lafite is all the more deserving because it is a wine that has been burdened with a rather lowly rating and it is a good example of why one should take such ratings with a pinch of salt and constantly revisit the wine in its evolution. This wine is evolving magnificently and is more accessible than some other more lauded vintages.
stefan

Post by stefan »

A great award to a great wine. It is a fine choice, Jim.

stefan
tim

Post by tim »

I do think that "specialness" trumps all. The 2000 Margaux is certainly special, as is the 1999 Haut Brion Blanc. Neither of those are particularly affordable, but they speak to what Bordeaux is all about. Not sure I quite understand the whole Burgundy thing though :)

As I look down the list, the only two wines that I think are really missing are the 1996 Clos du Marquis and the 1989 Pichon Baron. Although I might argue that the 1990 d'Yquem is a more representative wine than the 1995...

I haven't actually tried the 1989 Lafite, but if someone is willing to bring a Magnum or two to Chicago, then I'm all game!!!!
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

tim wrote: the 1996 Clos du Marquis
Huge amount of bottle variation on that wine... of the 7 tried, only two have been any good!
As shown up by a vertical of Clos du Marquis that I attended last night. Of which, thoughts can be found on the Wine-Pages board and my notes will follow shortly on here when I get the time!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It seemed like it was better in its youth, Jono, I haven't had it lately.