Chateaus/Domaines to visit in Bordeaux and Souther Rhone?

wayfool

Chateaus/Domaines to visit in Bordeaux and Souther Rhone?

Post by wayfool »

Hi all,

I attempted to do a search for this topic online and came across a serious of jumbled reviews, and I thought this forum might be a good place to solicit some anecdotes. My parents, aunts, and uncles, (likely a group of about 10 or 12) are visiting Bordeaux and Provence in October and were trying to find a couple places that would offer a good range of experiences. My parents went two years ago and were fortunate enough to get a tour and tasting at both Chateaux Margaux and Chateau de Beaucastel. I had suggested for this next trip, a visit to Mouton Rothschild because of the confluence of fine wine and fine art. Does anyone have any other recommendation? I think they wouldn't mind finding some hidden gems that tilt towards the less extravagant side as well. Thanks in advance!
Chasse-Spleen

Re: Chateaus/Domaines to visit in Bordeaux and Souther Rhone?

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

A very low-key but very fun experience awaits you if you visit the wine commune in the town of Gigondas. It's right on the town square, which is tiny, almost non-existant as a town. But they have a wonderful little tasting room and I spent a memorable hour or two there with a friend back in 2004.
-Chris
hm$

Post by hm$ »

We had an excellent visit at Pegau.

hm$
Rick

Post by Rick »

I agree on Gigondas and the town of CdP is also nice to walk around too
I bought a really nice painting in Saint- Remy and there is a neat farmers market if ou catch it on the right days

rick
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hoping AlexR will chime in with some Bordeaux recommendations - he's our man on the scene there. Aside from the Chateaux visits themselves, the town of St. Emilion is most enjoyable for walking around and visiting the shops. I think Clos Fourtet is right there within walking distance, and we had a nice tour there.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

We visited Vieux Chateau Certan and La Conseillante in Pomerol about 3 years ago. Their respective proprietors/winemakers took us through their grounds, facilities, operations and sampling of past bottles and including the ones in the barrel. Very cordial, informal and welcoming. One of them even sent my wife and I off with a restaurant recommendation in neighboring Saint-Emillion (L'Envers du Decor), plus a complimentary bottle of the winery's most recent release then.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I just want to add, it's pretty easy to visit many interesting Bordeaux Chateaux if you contact them in advance. Getting around the areas you mentioned is not always so simple - some places can be hard to find. Also, you will be traveling with a large group. My advice is to try and decide where you want to go, and then figure out how you will all get there, contacting your choices in advance to see if they accept visitors, groups, etc. Have fun! It sounds like a great trip.
wayfool

Post by wayfool »

Hi all... thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I'm especially intrigued by Gigondas and its tasting room, VCC, and the farmers market in Saint-Remy. I've passed the information along to my parents. I'll try to remember to post when I get there feedback.