Visit to DRC

AlexR

Visit to DRC

Post by AlexR »

Although primarily a Bordeaux lover, I was nevertheless delighted to visit the Domaine de la Romanée Conti on Wednesday.

This was the highlight of a ten-day trip to Burgundy, during which snow never left the ground.

The domaine's cellars, located a stone's throw from the church in Vosne-Romanée, are only indicated by tiny lettering below the doorbell.

My father had visited here decades ago and I have been lucky enough to enjoy 3 vintages at table: 1961, 1962, and 1969. I am unlikely to do so again. By way of explanation, let me say that I saw a bottle of 2005 La Romanée-Conti last month at Harrods for… 9,000 pounds. Even if you allow for the premium at that prestigious store, this is still very much out of my league…

I visited the domaine with two Australian friends (one, an importer, the other, a producer) as well as a friend from Brittany, a French distributor, and a Russian woman.

We were welcomed by the Technical Director, M. Cuvelier, and went on a tour with M. Bernard Noblet, Cellar Master.

The first thing that must be said about DRC – from a Bordelais perspective – is that all honor is given to the wine, rather than the associated trappings (magnificent buildings, marble floors, attractive hostesses, etc.). In fact, there is little to distinguish the somewhat cramped facilities from any number of less-exalted domaines.
I found this emphasis on the wine to the detriment of all else very refreshing. It is not unlike the feeling one has visiting Pétrus, as opposed to the big guns in the Médoc.

M. Noblet is a very tall man with a slow, ironic way of expressing himself and a warm Burgundian accent. His father worked at DRC before him and to say he knows the wines intimately would be an understatement.

In presenting the domaine's 26 hectares of vineyards, M. Noblet mentioned Bâtard Montrachet (maximum 900 bottles a year). He said this was "PNG" and then went on talking. When he stopped for a moment, I asked him what this mysterious abbreviation meant. He replied "pour notre gueule", a slang expression meaning "for the domaine owners and employees alone". Very much a lady's man, M. Noblet frequently compared wine and women, bringing a blush to the (bilingual) Russian lady's face on occasion. For example, when I asked him when one of the wines would reach its peak he replied – as I ought to have expected – "You know, wine is like a woman, when it is young…" so on and so forth.

DRC has been fully biodynamic since 2008 after experiments on 8 hectares proved that this made the wines more expressive. Prior to that, all vineyards had been farmed organically. This quality-oriented measure has reduced yields considerably, from 25-30 hectoliters per hectare to an average of 18. This is in keeping with the pre-phylloxera average of 15-20.

The red wines undergo 3-6 days of cold pre-fermentation maceration. The stems are systematically included. M. Noblet refers to them as the "skeleton" of the grape bunches and says that part of the misunderstanding involving their inclusion is because these stems must be treated very gently to release just the right amount of desired components.

We sampled seven wines from the 2008 vintage, which I had been tasting all week. This only confirmed my impressions that this was, at the very least, a good year.
M. Noblet compared it to 1998 and said it was not so much the fine weather that saved the day (a familiar story), as a north wind that dried, aerated, and concentrated the grapes, as well as putting an end to incipient gray rot.

Vosne-Romanée Premier Cru Duvault Blochet was a very pretty wine. Medium-deep in color, it had a lovely, slightly spicy nose. The wine was well-balanced with vibrant acidity on the palate but, at this stage, I liked the nose better than the taste, which is probably perfectly normal. It is nevertheless is very much of a class act and possesses, quite honestly, many of the hallmarks of the domaine's more famous wines.
Duvault-Blochet can be considered the 2nd wine of La Romanée Conti, and is not made in all vintages.

Echézeaux was darker in color with a very seductive candied fruit bouquet. It showed power, fine texture, and good grip on the palate. Broad-based, but well-focused, it was one of the highlights of the tasting and possibly represents the best "value for money" – if such a thing exists.
Getting away from the "wine as woman" theme, my notes say "a muscular man in a tight suit".
M. Noblet, however, returning to his favorite theme, referred to the wine as "feminine and delicate". He also spoke of oak ageing as "un support, comme un soutien-gorge pour une belle poitrine" (or "something that provides support for, and highlights the wine's beauty, like a bra for a nice pair of breasts").
This Echézeaux definitely had a velvety texture but, in retrospect, this velvet was not quite as fine as the wines to follow. It was nevertheless one of the ones I liked best.

Grands-Echézeaux had an equally fine color, but was closed-in on the nose, which displayed a musky quality. M. Noblet said that this was a sign of reduction, and would disappear over time. The wine was more structured on the palate, with a spicy quality. It appeared to have more tannin and length.

(At this point, I will leave off describing the colors, which were similar. Furthermore, I have been firmly admonished in Burgundy not to consider color a major aspect in evaluating a wine…)

Romanée-Saint-Vivant had a suave nose of oak and terroir. The palate had lots going on, and was elegant in a way reminiscent of the Echézeaux, but with a more expressive aftertaste. M. Noblet described the slight hardness on the tail end as "un coup de griffe"(in the context, I think he meant, "a scratch a woman might give you with her fingernails at the end of lovemaking", but I didn't ask him to elucidate..).

Richebourg was reserved on the nose, but with subtle hints of wildflowers, and this aromatic quality followed through onto the palate, which displayed more power than any of the previous wines. M. Noblet compared it, in this respect, to the Grands Echézeaux. What is amazing is the way this power "winds down" and evolves seamlessly into a long, tight, seductive aftertaste.

The following two wines were a clear step up from the previous, as good as they were.
I did not spit.

La Tâche was brilliant. As is often the case with truly great wines, it defied analysis… The bouquet was very fresh with mysterious black fruit nuances and the palate was splendid. M. Noblet said that many people prefer it to La Romanée Conti. At this stage, 08 La Tâche is a little angular and foursquare, but has an astonishingly long, velvety, textured flavor with a quality I'll describe as "tarry". M. Noblet says it would be best to wait at least 15 years to enjoy its full potential.

La Romanée-Conti was reserved and brooding on the nose, but bright and demonstrative on the palate with a softness that is not of this world. There is also a touch of spice and a slight coolness, a menthol-like quality that accompanies its faultless development. There is something ethereal here despite the sensuous, silky mouth feel. The tasting pleasure seems to come in waves, multi-faceted.

We then went to another cellar to taste 3 older wines, which were all served blind, which is apparently the way things are always done at DRC.

One of the 6 people in our group correctly identified the first wine as Grands Echézeaux, but we were all wrong as to the vintage, thinking it might be 1998. It turned out to be 1999.
The color was quite deep and I found earth and violets on the nose, plus a biscuity and funky wild Pinot quality I much enjoyed. The taste was rich and satisfying with great mouth feel, but plenty of good acidity. M. Noblet figures that 1999 is about half-way to its peak. He describes 1999 as a rare vintage combining both quantity and quality. Part-owner Aubert de Villaine said it is the best vintage since he has been involved with the Domaine.

The next mystery wine prompted a series of wrong guesses. I thought it was Richebourg, and the consensus with regard to vintage seemed to be 1995. It turned out to be 1990 Grands Echézeaux. The nose was raisiny and foxy, but who knows how it will be in another decade… The wine was much more forthcoming and impressively powerful on the palate, where the raisiny quality persisted.

I asked about decanting such wines and received a reproving look from M. Noblet, who compared this to… rape. However, he is all for the "Audouze method" of opening the bottle several hours beforehand.

The last wine, "the aperitif", was a 1995 Bâtard Montrachet. This was medium-gold in color and had a deep, buttery bouquet with hints of honey. I really loved the palate, a medley of butterscotch, hazelnut, and things too hard to pin down :-). My friends, who drink only Burgundy, told me that they preferred the cleaner, more precise style of, let's say, Leflaive, but I just loved this wine, which is delicious to drink now.

Half a year ago, DRC purchased 2½ hectares of Le Corton from Prince Florent de Mérode. While visiting Domaine Bonneau du Matray, M. Le Bault de la Morinière said what a good thing this was for the whole appellation which, he feels, does not have the reputation it deserves.

Best regards,
Alex R.
JCNorthway

Re: Visit to DRC

Post by JCNorthway »

Alex,

Quite and experience! Thanks for the detailed description of the event and the wines. I guess this is what you would call a "once in a lifetime" experience.

Jon
sdr

Post by sdr »

Great story telling, Alex; thanks. I also enjoy your translations of French expressions that are impossible to translate.

~stuart
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Alex for that report of your visit to Domaine Romanée-Conti. A visit many can just dream about. I'm particularly happy that your visit was on the January 13th. that day, is my birthday so I turned 36. On Wednesday ,I invite some friends and family, and we ordered my favorite pizza. No wine that night. But this weekend, I had some friends at home and we celbrated my birthday with some... Pinot Noir, as my guest liked that grape. So I opened a 2004 Gevrey-Chambertin Mes Cinq Terroirs from Denis Mortet, a really good Bourgogne, all refined and complex with mineral, earth, leaves, game, and extra red berries. A great wine that I would rate about 92+.

My friend Amiel (he is originally from France) brought the 2006 Domaine Vacheron Sancerre red, to go with the cheese. Really good Pinot too. A little bit less dense than the first wine, but so complex with little red berries, rasberries, chalky character. Nice wine too, I would rate 90. It was a nice evening.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2 years ago, I had the chance to buy all the 2004 from Domaine Romanée-Conti, except the AOC Romanée-Conti (all the other, so Echezeaux, Grands-Echezeaux, Richebourg, La Tâche, Romanée-St-Vivant and the Vosne-Romanée) but I passed, as the prices were high. So my friend bought 2 bottles of each, the bill was probably extremely high... I would guess around 5000 $Can...

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great notes and storytelling Alex. DRC is a wine lovers dream visit. I have to agree that Burgundy is underwhelming to visit to say the least. Little marking the vineyards and if you don't know exactly where to go there certainly aren't too many memorable sites apart from maybe Clos de Vougeot.

Thanks,

Danny
Danny
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Incredible! Thanks for doing such a great job of taking us along on your amazing journey.
-Chris
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wonderful report, Alex, thanks for taking the time to write it up. I almost felt like I was there. I think I've had DRC only once in my life. It wasn't an awe-inspiring bottle, but recall it being very good. I think it was a Grands Echezaux, don't recall what year.
stefan

Post by stefan »

That was a great visit, Alex. How did you manage to get into DRC? It is not easy.

stefan
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Stefan,

I wrote a letter. But a letter in which each word was carefully chosen. I also sent a photo of me holding an empty bottle of 61 Romanée-Conti (bought for $ 16.99 in upstate New York in the early 70s...) and referred to the fact that my father had visited several decades ago.

All the best,
Alex
tim

Post by tim »

Wow, thank you for sharing that, it sounds like it was an incredible experience. And also a very interesting comment on decanting. I'm wondering if decanting is common in Burgundy.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Neat, Alex!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Does the cellarmaster ever get out? You know, among the public? Or does he go straight to the hospital at night?

A great report.
AlainB.

Post by AlainB. »

Merci Alex!
I loved reading your story..
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I'm impressed that you were able to get in there by writing to them, both on your part and on the part of DRC.
-Chasse
JonB

Post by JonB »

Amazing. I bet even Francois is jealous.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AlexR wrote:Hi Stefan,

I wrote a letter. But a letter in which each word was carefully chosen. I also sent a photo of me holding an empty bottle of 61 Romanée-Conti (bought for $ 16.99 in upstate New York in the early 70s...) and referred to the fact that my father had visited several decades ago.

All the best,
Alex
As Jim would say: Well done, Alex. Well done, indeed!