Anyone remember Yacochuya

alchemeus

Anyone remember Yacochuya

Post by alchemeus »

Or something like that. A Michael Rolland South America wine, Argentina methinks. First vintage was 1999. The Bob gave it 9x points or something.

I bought 4 of these so the price must have been below $50. Had two left in the cellar last night and popped one. I remember in the past that they were damn good first day but then became disjointed second day. Not this one.

Still nice fruitiness and excellent mouthfeel and backbone\grip\whatever is the current term. Tannins still aplenty so it'll probably live quite a while. Absolutely no showing of any bricking, it's still deep dark reduced blood red. Today it's developed a slight tobacco nose that I like and was missing yesterday. There is a slight woodish scent but not in a bad way. Probably will wait another year or so to pop the last one, always rather drink a wine a little young than a little old. I'm surprised compared to the ones I've previously had. It's not a grand wine (and I have NO idea how to pointerize a wine, average to me would be 50 so I don't know if I've ever had a 90 point wine on that system) but it's surprisingly good and yes, it was better last night with food, tonight will be with leftover lamb stew unless I drink two glasses before the stew is ready.
JEP_62

Re: Anyone remember Yacochuya

Post by JEP_62 »

I tried the 2001 Yacochuya Salta Cafayate a few months back, but I think the concensus was our bottle was flawed - maybe heat damaged. It was mostly stewed/roasted fruit and alcohol.

Andy
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I agree with Andy's assessment of that 2001, but I have read from some of those "in the know" that 2001 was not the best vintage for Yacochuya, anyway.

-Michael
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

I have only the 1999. It's decent now. The 2001 may be crap, no Idea. I haven't re-bought this, Michael Rolland wine after all.

And I'd not a fan.

Still, THIS year, THIS time, THIS wine is pretty good. My wines. MY cellar. Two or three months, who knows?

All I can say.

And just saying.

Kinda why I gave up on ANYONE'S report on a wine...
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hey alch,

Great to see you "back" in these parts (since one can hardly call a visit to an i-place that's only been here a week a homecoming!)

I agree that no one's report on wine is bible, but I still read whatever I can get my hands (or display) on in hope of finding something "under the radar." Parker was into Sociando Mallet long before BWE (long before anyone as far as I can tell), and BWE was into Pontet Canet before Parker saw how good the recent vintages are. There's no monopoly anymore on "the scoop" in the wine trade -- heck, I even read your notes! (But I must admit that I have yet to find a Maryland wine retailing over $15 that I'd buy a second time!)

I hope you and Kathryn be able to make it to the convention this year?

Best regards,
Tom
edjedj

Post by edjedj »

I have only had the 2000 vintage of the Yaccochuya. They have all been huge wines with good balance to boot. I agree that these will age well. I have 2 of the 2000 left. They are a 92+, only waiting for some more secondary notes.
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Tom,

I'd suspect the 09 DC affair is booked.

As far as MD wines over $15 not worth the effort, I'd agree for 99.9% of folk on this board. A very few are worth my while. But yes, indeed most of the 'worthwhile' wines that even I like are probably under $15. Boordy has started an 'Icon' series, and their Petite Cabernet has been nice, $9.69 at county stores. Methinks it's the Terrapin label (they do notable Md animals per wine). I'd rate it 80 or so if a median was 50, probably what you'd rate it on a near Parker range. It's actually drinkable and nice to go with burgers or such plebian fare. Another they do is a Seyval\Vidal\Chardonnay (Striped Bass label?) blend. Around $8.80. Another sipper for me. But heck Tom, with your cellar, yeah, wouldn't be worth my time.

I remember NY 02. Thank you for that.

And most East Coast wineries try and follow a model that just doesn't work for their area. New oak barrels ruins 99.9% of the wines produced. This isn't Napanoma folks, just stop. Bin 17 from Shelton in the Yadkin Valley AVA of NC is nice, sells for around $8 per if bought by the case, and I usually do, right off I77 on the way back from mommanem. Grand zippy little wine (completely unoaked) for the price. Chardonnay mostly.

But you shouldn't rule out some Sugar Loaf or Black Ankle wines. Give'em a few years for vines to mature but potential is there for even connoisseurs to enjoy.