BWE 10 - Friday Night 2007 Rhones

Rick

BWE 10 - Friday Night 2007 Rhones

Post by Rick »

All BWE 10 attendees

Talking to David G we decided to organize a Rhone night on Friday night for a few of the Rhone lovers in the crowd. Given the board and media chatter on 2007 we were thinking a 2007 theme would be good.

I would like to see us have a wide variety of the big name CDPs and other big value 2007 Rhones.

The Capital Grille is a two block walk straight down the street from the hotel. I yet ned to check with them on a room depending on interest.

There are many different venues available close to the hotel to host other themes so eveyone does not need to attend this event. If others are interested in something else and want to start a thread that would be great...Jon or I could help with a venue idea too.........or maybe Jon is tired of 07 Rhones and already has an idea ;)

Let me know of your interest

Rick
DavidG

Re: BWE 10 - Friday Night 2007 Rhones

Post by DavidG »

I'm in for some '07 Rhones, for sure! Put me down for one of those bottles of the Janasse VV you're holding for me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm in!
hm$

Post by hm$ »

I'm In -- bringing a Quet.....

hm$
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I don't think I have any "worthy" 2007 Rhones - I just bought the classics like VT, Pegau and Beaucastel that won't be ready for 10 years and won't peak for 20. Anyone want to have 1981 and 1983 VT instead? Anything from 2007 is going to be like a barrel sample at this point.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ed, you know how strict we are about these themes, right? An '81 or '83 VT sounds great!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Actually , I think it may be impossible to tell if the '07s are too sweet and jammy to make old bones at this early stage. But I'm game to try.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Well, if mature Rhones are OK, we are in.

stefan
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sounds like we have some nice Rhones being lined up......Some of you doubters about the 07 Rhones will have afew to sample. If we get them some air I think you will find them acceptable. The Rhones form the 80s will be outstanding but very different.......we should prbably sample the older ones first

A question that I would like to solicit f/b on is the location. I have had a suggestion that we can do TCG in lots of cities is there something more unique to Chicago.......what say ye? I was being lazy...taking the easy road...........a two block walk, great service , they know me ..............but it is a chain so i do understand

Jon and I have talked and he is looking into a couple other possibilities but if you have an opinion let me know.
Additionally, we could always have a few smaller dinners on Friday maybe California, Spain, etc as we have in the past

One of the things I have always enjoyed are the Thursday and Friday smaller dinners to catch up with a handful of old friends vs navigating a larger crowd or only being able to easily talk to the few around me
Rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm fine with whatever restaurant option we go with. Myself I certainly have no objections to that Capital Grille next to your house. It may be a chain but the food was excellent, the room we were in would be perfect for our group, they were very wine friendly and, perhaps most importantly, you are royalty there, they seemed to go the extra mile to satisfy you. Again, I'm fine with whatever you guys decide.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim this is the TCG downtown so I will not be quite the same royalty

I would love to do something at the Lombard TCG - they would love it but it is 20 miles from the hotel
hm$

Post by hm$ »

I did not want to be the one asking, but I woudl much prefer to go somewhere else -- anywhere else -- that is unique to Chicago. I can go to TCG in Dallas, and it's nothing special.

hm$
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm fine with doing something more unique to Chicago. As long as they understand we drink about two bottles per BWEer in average.
tim

Post by tim »

I'm in too...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I wish I could join you guys but looks like I wont be in the t'country

If I came a long to that event I would bring a NORTHERN rhone

Sound like '2007 rhones' is synonymous with 2007 southern rhones as the only game in town

But maybe the northern rhones are the dark horses
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ian, I am sensing negative vibes.

First you worried about the '07 Southern Rhones despite saying you haven't tried them.
Now you are worried about a Northern Rhone being unwelcome at this dinner (who says!), which you can't attend anyway.

Really, man, I think you need to settle in with a nice glass of wine and cheer up a bit.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Here is what I have for Friday night so far...............we do not have a venus for over 15 yet and we are still searching for a venue other than TCG which I have on hold and the Affina

David G
Jim H
Howard
SF Ed
Stefan Lucy
Tim
Rick Kathy
Jon Paula
Rob Sue

Total 13......Please update this as you see fit

Rick
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Count Danielle & I in Rick for Friday. What about the hotel restaurant that you were mentioning. Proximity is great and sounds like anyone winning restaurant of the year in Chicago must be pretty good. Don't have any 07 Rhones yet but can be arranged. Older Rhones might have to do!

Danny
Danny
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Just add Claire in with Rob and I.
JHannan

Post by JHannan »

A couple of options for the restaurant that folks may find interesting and would not find elsewhere:

North Pond Restaurant: an historic arts and crafts style structure in the middle of Lincoln Park (in the actual park) right on North pond that was used as a warming house for ice skaters is now a fine dining destination. Focus is on local, seasonal ingredients. There is a very nice room with a fireplace with floor to ceiling windows that looks over the pond, the park and the skyline in the distance. Will check on availability and corkage.

http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/

Les Nomades: french restaurant near north just off Michigan avenue in an old townhouse. many rooms with fireplaces. Elegant and with very good food.
http://www.lesnomades.net/
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Welcome, JHannan, and thanks for the suggestions. They both sound appealing. Looking forward to meeting you in the spring!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Friday fun is growing:)

David G
Jim H
Howard
SF Ed
Stefan Lucy
Tim
Rick Kathy
Jon Paula
Rob Sue Claire
Danny danielle
Jim Inna
Total 18......Please update this as you see fit
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bump...

Any decision on the restaurant yet?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I am pursuing an alternate venue to The Capital Grille that would be more of a "Chicago" place . At this moment, I am waiting to hear back to see if they are willing to work with us on their typical corkage fee. I talked last evening with the private events person and did my best schmoozing in hopes of working out a win-win situation. I think she gets what we are all about - now she needs to sell her manager on us. (Having that big convention in town does not help our leverage in these situations.)

We will know soon if it is an option.

Jon