How's The Snowstorm in the Northeast?

dstgolf

How's The Snowstorm in the Northeast?

Post by dstgolf »

News channels here are saying DC and Baltimore are getting whacked. Safe driving,be heart safe curl up with a nice book/movie and enjoy a good bottle or two. Hope all works out and the weatherman is wrong!!

Danny
Danny
Winona Chief

Re: How's The Snowstorm in the Northeast?

Post by Winona Chief »

Yup, it's really snowing like crazy right now and it's supposed to snow all night and a good bit of tomorrow. Looks like we will be getting around 2 feet. Thing is it's been a cold winter and we've already had 30 inches of snow in previous storms here in Silver Spring, Maryland - where I live.

I won't be driving anywhere till this is all cleaned up. Relaxing this evening with some Grand Marnier Cuvee du Centenaire - very nice.

Chris Bublitz
Last edited by Winona Chief on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Wish I was there. My tenants are currently enjoying the conditions in Bluemont, VA.

-Snowless in Colorado
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Does anyone know whether it is going to hit NYC?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am flying tomorrow night from JFK and they have cut the estimated snow tomorrow from 8 inches to 2-4 inches. Dry here in swinging Stamford
jal

Post by jal »

Yeah, dry in Chappaqua as well. I'm hearing 1-2 inches tops.
Best

Jacques
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

It's not snowing at all here in NYC.
-Chasse
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Stranded in Orlando - BWI is closed until Sunday, it looks like. Not getting much sympathy from Peggy who is stuck at home...
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Amazing this winter how the snow belt and cold has dipped south secondary to a change in the wind patterns driving the cold air south. In Ottawa we've normally got snow up to the eyeballs by now and we've just barely got the ground covered. Local ski operators are hurting. They never get the traffic if the people in the city don't see piles of snow around them. A strange winter so far. I wonder how Al Gore is telling the people down in the Southern and North Eastern USA that global warming is a reality this year!

Danny

PS David, There could be worse places to be stranded. Put your Mickey ears on and have fun. Any restaurant recommendations. I've got a meeting there in two weeks.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Danny, we ate at the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf on Bonnet Creek last night. Excellent steak place, semi-decent wine list but with reasonable markups for a high-end place, about 2x non-discounted retail. Frankly I didn't research restaurants this trip as the group I'm with is making all the plans. Ten years ago I enjoyed dinner at Victoria and Albert at the Grand Floridian (a bit over-the-top stuffy service but one of the best meals I had in Disney) and at the California Grill at the top of the Contemporary - great views and very good food plus a very good wine list and lots of good stuff by the glass. Not sure if they are still the same ten years later.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

We are at 22 inches of snow, here in Silver Spring, Maryland and it's still coming down fast and furious.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

My Sunday PM flight was cancelled and all the Monday flights are filled with everyone who was stranded Friday and Saturday, so I am stuck here in Orlando until Tuesday! At least I am not stranded at the airport...

Thought about going to the Super Bowl, but the cheapest seats on Stub Hub are about $2000. Will go listen to some blues tonight instead. Might go see the space shuttle launch - last night-time launch ever.
jal

Post by jal »

David, sorry, but you are very lucky.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I know, it's nice weather down here, I've got a hotel room to stay in. Just thinking about the havoc with my patient schedules, assuming they will be able to get in to see me Monday. Oh well, might as well relax and enjoy it.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

That's funny David (in a way). I was in Florida in 1993 (I think) during the "Perfect Storm" blizzard. I played golf in a howling gale, it was affecting the weather clear to Ft. Lauderdale. I flew into Dulles the night it ended on one of the last flights they let in. Drove out to Clarke County and had to walk the last half mile to my house. The final total for this year's storm at Bluemont looks like 34 inches. Not bad but I think someplace in Caroll County got 40 inches.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

by the time our power was restored last night, our house was a crisp 50 degrees but ok now. It's nice to be warm on your birthday. The amount of snow that fell is mind boggling. We drank a tasty De Venoge NV by candlelight in front of the fire.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Happy Birthday Jay! Sorr you lost power but at least it is restored (and you have a fireplace!)
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jay,

Happy Birthday. Nice way to celebrate, even if you had little choice. But it's probably one you will remember for a while!

Jon
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Welcome back to the "grid" Jay. Glad you & Peggy kept warm enough through the storm.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

thanks everyone. I opened a half of 2007 Clos de Brusquieres as that guy Rick from Chicago seems to be tasting every 07 CNDP in existence. So far, lots of fruit and good balance. Being a Who fan, I'm looking forward to halftime. Go Saints!
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Last night we had a very nice 2001 Fleur de Bouard - Le Plus to go with beef short ribs stew. We do a lot of short ribs at our house - use them to make chili, beef stew, stroganoff, etc. The Le Plus is a special selection from Hubert de Bouard's (of Angelus) property (Fleur de Bouard) in Lalande de Pomerol. The wine was almost black, young, fruity, deep, rich and concentrated. It's a big wine and a bit like a Chateauneuf made out of merlot. Not exactly classic Bordeaux but I like it.

We were happy to have not lost heat, power, cable or internet.

Chris Bublitz
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

The 2007 Clos de Brusquieres was quite good-nice Grenache fruit flavor. These were $18 and I would buy more at that price.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

10-20" more snow coming tomorrow and Wednesday. We're supposed to leave Friday morning for vacation via BWI airport which is still catching up from the first round of snow. I'm not a happy camper right now.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

This is absurd.

Winter Storm Warning in effect from noon Tuesday to 7 PM EST
Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a
Winter Storm Warning for the DC area... which is in effect from noon Tuesday
to 7 PM EST Wednesday.

* Precipitation type... snow.

* Accumulations... 10 to 20 inches.

* Timing... mid-afternoon Tuesday through Wednesday.
jal

An oldie

Post by jal »

This storm is definitely coming to NY tomorrow. I will laugh less tomorrow, in the meantime here is:

Diary Of A Snow Shoveler

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snow plow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12
: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man. I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow, lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white shit fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she...nuts??? Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's damn well lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the goddamn snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the #$%ing slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.

December 26
: Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 28: Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. THE BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars for the bump on his head. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31
: Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
Best

Jacques
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jacques, that is an ablsolute classic. I was laughing so hard that tears came to my eyes! Ironically, Chicago is expecting up to 13 inches in the next 36 hours. I have my shovel at the ready.

Jon
stefan

Post by stefan »

You made my ribs hurt, Jacques.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great story, Jacques. I am now back in Baltimore, on the road back home from BWI. Major roads are clear but some of the lanes appear/disappear and merge lanes are unpredictable in some areas even on the interstates. Glad I got back today as the next storm tomorrow may wreak havoc with the airports again. 3/4 of my surgical schedule for Wednesday called to cancel. Good luck getting out Jay.

Made the most of my Florida "stranding" with an air boat trip into the headwaters of the Everglades yesterday and a visit to a hotel bar with a nice buffet and a big screen for the Superbowl. Was rooting for the underdog Saints and thought it was a really well-played game, but was actually sorry to see the pick-six at the end. Would've liked to see the tension carried even further. Then got up to see the space shuttle launch - breathtaking.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jacques,
you're hitting too close to home
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Everyone's got snow but Canada. Olympic games start Friday in Vancouver and all I see is rain and green grass. They are trucking and airlifting snow into the venues to make sure they have enough. Building up a base with straw and laying down piping filled with dry ice to keep the snow around. In Ottawa we usually have banks on the side of our drive 8-10 feet high by this time and they are 6-8 inches. Weird weather this winter. Must be that Obama effect putting a chill in DC.

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It has been cold in Maine but we've missed most of the storms in January and now into February, knock on wood. It appears this next one is going to just brush the southernmost tip of Maine and spare us again.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Girding for round two... starting to see an occasional flake.
jal

Post by jal »

Oh boy, hopefully, this thing will clear by Thursday evening for my flight to TLV. It looks like Continental canceled all flights to and from Newark Airport tomorrow.
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

blizzard conditions again in DC.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Snow starting to slow down here in Silver Spring, Maryland but still pretty windy (and cold). All the shoveling I did this morning was for nought. The wind just blew it back and another six inches today filled in and more. Looks like the total from this latest storm is around ten inches - at the low end of the predicted range. Total for the last 12 days - 45 inches. For the season, 65 inches.

Chris Bublitz
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I just saw a penguin in front of the house
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

They are predicting more snow in Philadelphia Monday--4 to 8 inches. Sheesh!