Latest details on Chicago '10

JimHow

Latest details on Chicago '10

Post by JimHow »

Here are the latest details on Chicago '10:

I had a lengthy conference call with Rick, Kathy and Jon last night.

The Saturday night dinner at the Metropolitan Club on the 67th floor of the Willis Tower is coming along nicely. We are planning on about 40 BWEers attending. Jon and Rick have a contract that is going to require a deposit and other financial commitments. We should have some menu options posted here on the site in the very near future. We also expect to have a final per-person cost available shortly. It appears the cost will be significantly less than other recent BWE convention dinners.

Jon has generously agreed to be the treasurer for this event. Having performed this role myself several times in the past, I can tell you it requires more work than you think. Jon will be making payments to the event venue on his credit card. Once we set the price for the Saturday night dinner, it will be VERY important that we get our checks to him immediately so that we have enough time for the checks to travel through the mail, for the checks to clear from their respective out-of-state banks, etc. We are going to have to be very insistent on this, especially since we are starting to get closer to the event date.

Rick and Jon are finalizing plans for a Friday night dinner. About 18 of us have signed up for a southern Rhone dinner on friday night. Rick and Jon can clarify this more, but it appears that seating will be strictly limited for the Friday night event, so if you delay in reserving your spot you may miss out. I'll let Rick and Jon speak more on this issue.

There are at least a couple dinners being organized for Thursday night arrivals. If you have any questions about these events, please check in here on the site regularly.

A while back HM$ was inquiring about a theme for the Saturday night dinner. I suggested that we do just a general Bordeaux theme, which is what we did back at the original BWE convention. If anyone has other preferences about this or any other issues, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you to Rick and Jon for all their hard work in organizing what promises to be another epic BWE event! I look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago!

Jim
aimeedogdogdog

Re: Latest details on Chicago '10

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

Jim,

Is there such a function on our website that we could stick all 2010 BWE convention threads at the top of the forum page? This way it's easy to locate the Thursday dinner plan, Friday dinner plan, Saturday event, etc. (I can't find the Thursday dinner plan thread(s) :) )

Werner
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think it may be possible, Werner, that is a good idea. I'll check with Phil on that.
tim

Post by tim »

Any thoughts on doing a blind or semi-blind tasting? I'm not sure what is possible but I have found these to be one of the highlights of past events.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good point, Tim, that has been a fun tradition since the very beginning. I'll start a separate thread on the subject.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Werner, I thnk the BB software allows notes to be "stuck" to the top of the page by moderators, but I don't think that was enabled. If Phil can turn it on, great, if not, we can just "bump" the threads to the top.

I don't recall specifics on Thursday night dinners being posted anywhere, just a mention of the fact that they often occur and a list of some potential restaurants to contact that Rick J listed somewhere. I'll start a new thread for Thursday dinners...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just got an early look at the possible menu options that Jon is working on, it looks mouthwatering!

I think the plan is to have a more concrete discussion about menu choices by the end of the week....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jon has been working very hard on menu options the last few days, he should have something for us very soon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jon and Rick are finalizing details with the venue for the Saturday night dinner.
It is important that we have an accurate count as early as possible.
The menu options should be posted in the next day or so.
Right now we are counting about 35 attendees.
If anyone is considering joining us please let us know as soon as possible.
Thanks.
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Not sure if I have missed a thread - has there been any post about the cost? I just want to make sure I didn't miss it so I can get the money to whomever is collecting.

Susan
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Rob,

You have not missed a thread. We expect to post menu and cost information later today.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We have that information available, Rob, i've been in trial the last two days and Jon and Rick have basically finalized all details.

We should have all relevant information posted by this evening.

Jim
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

Jon and Jim:

It was me, Susan, asking. I tend to be CFO.

Susan
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Ah, Susan disguised as Rob!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No, that's always been Susan, Rob is RDD!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, your're right. I completely glossed over that. That attention to detail will get you sometimes! Sorry, Susan.

Jon
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

No blinds?

If no one organizes anything, I might be able to bring a large format for us all to try blind and guess when, where and what.....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What time are we starting Saturday night?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

We have not announced a start time. But we have the venue from 6:00 to 11:00, so I would propose we start at 6:00 with Champagnes and hors d'oeuvres. Then we could plan on dinner about 7:00. If we have a formalized blind tasting, we probably would plan to do that before the meal.

Other thoughts?

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

6-7pm Champagne and hors d'oueves.
7pm Dinner with '89 Lynch and '89 Baron served blind.
After dinner, we take a vote on the winner, Wine A or Wine B.
Jon, how possible do you think it will be to designate two glasses for the Lynch and Baron so people can take some time during dinner to focus on those two wines?
Or would it be preferable to just do the blind tasting during cheese course or dessert?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim,

The folks at the Metropolitan Club felt they could provide 3 or more glasses per person. So I assume we could designate two for the blind tasting. I could probably find some colored dots to mark them so folks could keep them straight (especially later on during dinner :D )

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If I could have my way on the blind tasting, I would do it like this. I would have the venue staff set up 35 glasses in one area out back for the Lynch pour. Then 35 more glasses with even pours of Baron. They would bring the glasses out. Wine A on the left, Wine B on the right. 3 liters divided by 35 glasses each should provie for healthy pours of each wine. These could be consumed slowly during the course of dinner. People can drink other wines during dinner as well, of course, provided we gave enough stems. NO discussion of the two blind wines at the tables though. We want this as scientific as possible. Each person provided a piece of paper. All they have to do is write one letter: "A" or "B". Then we tally them up!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

JimHow wrote:If I could have my way on the blond tasting, I would do it like this. I would have the venue staff set up 35 glasses in one area out back for the Lynch pour. Then 35 more glasses with even pours of Baron. They would bring the glasses out. Wine A on the left, Wine B on the right. 3 liters divided by 35 glasses each should provie for healthy pours of each wine. These could be consumed slowly during the course of dinner. People can drink other wines during dinner as well, of course, provided we gave enough stems. NO discussion of the two blind wines at the tables though. We want this as scientific as possible. Each person provided a piece of paper. All they have to do is write one letter: "A" or "B". Then we tally them up!
You're tasting blondes?. Wow, what am I missing? mrs vino, just kidding :D
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oops that's what happens when you post from your iPhone...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think Jim's plan is excellent. I am surprised by the following, however, from the guy who took us to task for muzzling him in NYC not so long ago:
JimHow wrote:NO discussion of the two blind wines at the tables though.
Actually this might be tough to enforce for any length of time. I do like the idea of spending the evening with the wines before taking the vote, and then unmasking them at the end.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LOL I knew you would like that line David.
With each 3L divided by 35 pours, we should have enough in each glass to observe the wines as they develop into the later rounds....
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

JimHow wrote:
If I could have my way on the blond tasting, I would do it like this.

Should I leave my wife at home? Is this something new for the 10th anniversary? I'm might look forward to tasting a new blond??!! Could you elaborate. Is this a double blond tasting?

Danny
Danny
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I think we need more than 3 glasses.
Especially if I bring a third blind wine.....(or would that ruin the history?).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Three blind wines. Three blind wines.
See how they taste. See how they taste.
They all ran after the BD's Lynch,
Who cut off their corks with a carving knife,
Did you ever see such a sight in your life,
As three blind wines?
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I have asked the BD about the third blind and will obey his command.

I personally prefer the two match-up, because I love the Lynch (kissing up to the BD!) and because of the BWE history behind the two match-up.

But I think we need more than 3 glasses each. If we leave the two (or 3) blinds for an hour or so, one glass is certainly not enough for any BWE-er. Can someone please talk to the restauarant about it?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Michael,

I will be confirming the number of glasses with the event planner, but will be unable to do so before the middle of next week, as he is out until Tuesday. However, during our initial meeting and tour of facilities, when we asked about having a number of glasses per person, he thought they could easily do 4-5 per person. Having said that, we have not yet sat them down and done the math on that (and factoring in that they have a regular dining room they also have to service on a Saturday). But given his earlier comments, I'd like to think that we can count on at least 4 per person.

Jon
tim

Post by tim »

I have a question: apparently Earth Hour 2010 is happening on the 27th, and traditionally the Sears Tower is among the major buildings to shut down its lights during the hour. What, if any, will this have on our event?

Perhaps this will bring a new dimension to our blind tasting???
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like the weather will be generally sunny in the upper fifties.
I'll be up for some morning walks if anyone wants to join me....
Rick

Post by Rick »

everyone should remember that downtown Chicago is colder in the spring........The cold lake keeps the temp down..........if the wind blows then you have wind chills

dress appropriately or you will be buying sweatshirts to stay warm

rick
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Tim,

Good question, and I will ask when I meet with the event planner this week. But what I read online is that the buildings turn off their "external lights," so I assume that it will not affect us other - than to alter our view of the city's skyline. That could be quite interesting to observe.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll be heading out tomorrow, we'll see everyone soon!

If anyone needs to reach me my cell phone number is 207-754-3900.

Jim