BWE 10 Friday - Burgundy?

sdr

BWE 10 Friday - Burgundy?

Post by sdr »

While I enjoy Rhones too, I'm wondering if anyone is interested in doing a Burgundy-themed dinner on Friday. There may not be room enough for all if us to go to the same restaurant Friday if we are 25+ people if I understand correctly.

We had tentatively proposed a Burgundy theme for BWE 09, but the venue was not appropriate, so we dropped it.

If there is interest, I would suggest emphasis on 2005, which is still drinking very well. We could also try some young white Burgs as well.

Stuart
dstgolf

Re: BWE 10 Friday - Burgundy?

Post by dstgolf »

Sounds like a great idea to us Stuart. 2005 Burgundy would also be a preferrance since after all they were the BWE 2008 wine of the year????It would be nice to regain confirmation.

Danny
Danny
Rick

Post by Rick »

Stu
This could work out well to have two groups as we seemed to have struck out and run out of time on finding an affordable place for a larger crowd

If you do not have a venue the hotel is suppose to be a nice place and has a nice area for up to 14 that they have used for similar event so i was told by the restraunt GM

at TCG there is a room for 14 - 15 and a room for 10 currently penciled in......if you find another place i will cancel one of those rooms

rick
stefan

Post by stefan »

Since we cannot all be together, Lucie and I like to join the Burgundy dinner--we have a lot more Burgundy than Rhone. I guess older Burgs are OK, Stuart?
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Marjorie and me would be interested in a Burgundy dinner.

Chris Bublitz
sdr

Post by sdr »

OK, guys, it sounds like we have reached a critical mass, so let's do. We have room for more if anyone else is interested.
And Burgundy of any age is welcome.

My personal preference would be a very French restaurant rather than a steak house.

Rick, Jon, or anyone else who might know- does Les Nomades allow corkage with no bottle limit?
Any other suggestions?

Stuart
stefan

Post by stefan »

We also prefer French to steak, but we go to Les Nomades on Thursday.
aimeedogdogdog

Post by aimeedogdogdog »

We have been waiting, Stuart. Count us in (3 of us. Tessa is coming too.)

Werner
Last edited by aimeedogdogdog on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Stuart,

Other than Les Nomades, the French place I would recommend is Everest. It carries a Relais & Chateau designation like Les Nomades. My wine tasting group has arranged dinners there where we brought in wines, but we were doing a pre-determined menu with an all-in price. At a slightly lower price point, and more casual is Brasserie Jo, operated by the chef/owner at Everest. It leans a bit toward Alsatian, but the dishes are very wine friendly. They also do have a small private room.

There are other French places that I would not recommend. And there are some places where some of the preparations are in that category. But beyond that you are getting into bistrot kinds of settings. If that is of interest, I can recommend a few.

Jon
Rick

Post by Rick »

You would like Everest ...

I have really enjoyed Chez Joel a French Bistro with food that will go very well with Burgundy
about $15 cab from hotel

rick
tim

Post by tim »

I tend to be a much bigger fan of Burgundy than Rhone, so I'd be happy to move over to the Burgundy group as well...

Tim
sdr

Post by sdr »

I am finalizing the venue. Thanks for the information, Jon and Rick. I'm sure this will be fun. One of the private rooms I am looking at holds 12 people.
So far, I count 11.5 people:

Stu and Kathy
Danny (dstgolf) and Danielle
stefan and Lucie
Chris (Winnona Chief) and Marjorie
Werner and Chris and Tessa
Tim

Stuart
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Much as I love Rhones, I have to say that Burgundy is at the top of the list for me these days. Count me in if the list is still open...

SF Ed
sdr

Post by sdr »

Ed -

I'm checking things out. I'll let you (and everyone else) know when I get a response.

Stu
sdr

Post by sdr »

The "very French" places I had in mind tell me we can't bring any wine since their list already has everything on it we could possibly want. No, thanks.

I have a tentative hold on a friendly modern American place with a nice menu and interesting cheese selection. Some BWEers have been there before with success, including me - Bin 36.

We can sit downstairs among the masses or upstairs in a semi-private area. Corkage is the same either way - $15 per bottle. (I will try to negotiate something better, if possible.) I am leaning towards the semi-private option, but that would require a minimum food/beverage amount of about $90 per person.

Please let me know if that is OK.

Stu
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sounds good, Stu. Thanks for your work on this. I remember that Chicago is very corkage unfriendly. These days NYC is much, much better.

stefan
sdr

Post by sdr »

Stay tuned. One of the French places has told me the chance to entertain BWE is too good to pass up and they will give us a small private room and allow unlimited corkage at $30 per person. I am awaiting confirmation in writing about all their terms and conditions.

Stu
SCWine

Post by SCWine »

My husband and I would also like to join if there is still room. We're friends of Howard Spector and will be attending BWE for the first time. Thanks!

Lori and Lee
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome to BWE, Lori and Lee, we look forward to meeting you!
sdr

Post by sdr »

The event manager of French place I secured now says that corkage is per bottle, not per person, despite what she promised in writing. She apologized for her mistake. I'd still like to go there if possible, but I told her I would need a discount on the food instead.

I will keep searching for alternatives but like Stefan said, Chicago is a tough town for corkage.

Stu
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I hate when that happens. At least you found out before arriving on the scene with bottles in tow.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Does it really make that much difference ($30 per person vs $30 a bottle). More than one bottle per person might be pushing it day 2. I'm happy that the footwork is being done behind the scenes and whatever it is it is.

Danny
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

10 to 1 that Stu is not worried about the cost difference, Danny, but rather the bait & switch tactic.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Other than the corkage issue, this restaurant sounds great. If everyone in the group is comfortable with spending $45-60/person for corkage, and isn't bothered by the fact that they changed their story, then I would consider going there.

I am not attending this dinner, but it would bother me that they changed the rules and that they were being unreasonable. If it was a small dinner with a bottle per person I would go there. With a large group and the likelihood that people may bring 2 or more bottles each (not that they will all be drunk), I would instead tell that manager that they would not be getting my business. I would let them know that at $30/person corkage they would likely be making more on wine service than what they would on most any other party. At $30/bottle corkage they will have to hope that whoever else takes the tables in my absence will order wine.

Maybe you should put together your list of wines and then decide what to do...
stefan

Post by stefan »

We are comfortable with whatever Stuart decides. He be da man!

stefan
sdr

Post by sdr »

I hear you guys. I'm still looking around. Chicago is a big city; surely some place will welcome our business for some reasonable corkage. We may have to forgo the private room idea, but I'm not giving up yet.

Stu
sdr

Post by sdr »

After considering a number of possibilities, I decided to beg my way back to Bin 36.
Corkage is $15 per bottle. We will have a semiprivate room upstairs in the Loft. The Chef will be creating a special 5 course menu for us.
Lori and Lee - you are very welcome to attend, as is anyone else who wishes.
Ed - are you flying solo or will Lisa be with you?

More details to follow.

Stu
Rick

Post by Rick »

Stu......Bin 36 has always been good ...usually not great but but a very nice venue upstairs as you have arranged

Also, some of us at the Rhone dinner were wondering if you needed any Rhone grapes to help fortify the lighter weaker burgundy......we could send over some juice to help you guys out :)

rick
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Bin 36 is fine with me. Looking forward to it. I'll try to find something from 1999.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

Bin 36 is nice, and it is great to have a private room (as long as we don't have our Burgs spiked with Syrah, Rick). Thanks, Stu.

stefan
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I am on my own this time around.

Are we having any themes or is this going to be a free for all?

SF Ed
Rick

Post by Rick »

Stefan

I am just trying to help out those that can not make it to the real Friday night dinner :):)

rick
sdr

Post by sdr »

Ed,

Glad you can make it.

The theme is simply Burgundy, with an emphasis on the 2005 vintage.
Older vintages are welcome as well.

Stu
sdr

Post by sdr »

Updated attendance list:

Stu and Kathy
Danny (dstgolf) and Danielle
stefan and Lucie
Chris (Winnona Chief) and Marjorie
Werner and Chris and Tessa
Tim
SF Ed
Lori and Lee

Menu negotiations ongoing. Let me know if I left anyone out.

Stu
sdr

Post by sdr »

We're on target for a fun dinner. I'm negotiating a five course dinner including a cheese plate.

I put in a $500 deposit to hold the space, so I think it would be easiest if everyone wound please bring $35 per person in cash that night to reimburse me for this deposit.

I will post the final menu price and details as soon as it is available, but it should be a little less than $100 per person.

Stu
stefan

Post by stefan »

Here is what I plan to bring for Friday; comments/suggestions appreciated (e.g., sub a red for the white if we have too many; sub an older red for the '05 red).

05 Drouhin Corton Charlemagne
05 Drouhin Clos Vougeot
96 Rousseau Ruchottes Chambertin
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I already shipped my wine so if it doesn't break or get stolen in transit:

2005 Fevre Les Clos
1988 Lamarche La Grand Rue

SF Ed
SCWine

Post by SCWine »

Sounds great. Lee and I are looking forward to meeting everyone.
stefan

Post by stefan »

What is the starting time on Friday?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I know that it's Burgandy night but I was thinking of Champagne to toast/start. Unless someone has another suggestion I'd bring

1990 Salon S
2005 Anne Gros Chambolle-Musigny.

Danny
Danny