Thunder in Chicago III: '89 Lynch-Bages vs. '89 Pichon Baron

JimHow

Thunder in Chicago III: '89 Lynch-Bages vs. '89 Pichon Baron

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

LEGENDARY FIGHTERS TO MEET FOR FINAL TIME IN CHICAGO

LAWYER DISCUSSES LYNCH-BARON MATCH UP

Chicago, Illinois (AP)-- It all happened quickly.

By late afternoon, word had spread like wildfire that internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How had been spotted arriving on a private jet at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

By itself, How's appearance in the Windy City would not be considered unusual. The tenth annual convention of the international wine group "Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts" is scheduled for a little more than a month away, and preparations for the historic event have been in full gear for several weeks.

Excitement about the event has been high, especially since the announcement that a three liter bottle of 1989 Lynch-Bages-- the BWE "Wine of the Decade"-- would be featured at the dinner.

Shortly after How's arrival at O'Hare, however, several vague rumors began to spread that another three liter bottle of Bordeaux wine had been removed from the cellar of Rob "Tar Heel" Dayton, a mysterious-- some say eccentric-- southern collector of fine Bordeaux wines in the North Carolina capital of Raleigh.

Coincidence? Or was there more to the story?

A team of Times reporters was quickly assigned to the investigation and by late afternoon it was confirmed that the North Carolina bottle-- a three liter "double magnum" of 1989 Pichon Baron that had been stored in Dayton's cellar since its purchase from Zachy's in the early 1990s-- had in fact been removed from its resting place and was beginning the month-long training process for "a major event in a midwestern city in the U.S. in late March."

The 1989 Pichon Baron, which hails from the Bordeaux appellation of Pauillac, has been affectionately known for the better part of a decade as Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron to Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts from around the world. The Purple Baron was matched up in epic battles against the 1989 Lynch "The Poor Man's Mouton" Bages in Chicago in 2001 and 2004, with the Lynch prevailing each time.

Upon confirmation of the news about the '89 Purple Baron, reporters attempted for several hours to locate How, believed to be secluded in an unknown downtown hotel location. How was finally located late this evening at the Affinia Hotel on East Superior Street in downtown Chicago. (http://www.Affinia.com/AffiniaChicago)

How issued a brief late-night statement to the local media:

"I can confirm only that negotiations have been ongoing in recent days between myself and one Robert 'Tar Heel' Dayton from North Carolina. I find Mr. Dayton to be an honorable and generous southern gentleman, and it is my hope that we will be able to finalize details of what will potentially be the biggest wine box office event since the Parker-Rodenstock tastings. It appears that there will indeed be a third and final fight between the BWE "Wine of the Decade" and the 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron. I expect that we will have a press conference at some point in the day tomorrow to announce any further details, and I ask for your continued patience at this time."
RDD

Re: Thunder in Chicago III: '89 Lynch-Bages vs. '89 Pichon Baron

Post by RDD »

I may be eccentric but I live in Charlotte,NC.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oops I knew that....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

AGING PAUILLAC WARRIORS REUNITE IN CHICAGO

Chicago, Illinois (AP)-- Hardly an eye was dry this afternoon in this windy midwestern city as Bordeaux left bankers 1989 Lynch "The Poor Man's Mouton" Bages and 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron met on the steps of city hall in a historic, emotional reunification of the two legendary fighters.

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley was present to hand keys to the city to the two popular combatants and their managers, internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How from Maine and reclusive southern fine wine mogul Rob "Tar Heel" Dayton from North Carolina.

The scene brought back fond memories of a kinder and gentler time for the international wine group known as Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts, which will be holding its annual convention in Chicago at the end of March.

"When I see these two fighters, I am reminded of a time of innocence, a time long before the erobertparkerization of BWE," said How, his voice dissolving into sobs as he embraced the two fighters.

The seldom seen Dayton-- featuring a flamboyant full-length mink coat for the occasion-- said he expected a strong showing from his three liter bottle of 1989 Pichon Baron, which had been resting in his cellar since its purchase from Scarsdale, New York, wine store Zachy's upon release in the early 1990s.

"These are two great champions," remarked the affable Dayton. "I am honored to be here to celebrate this event. May the best wine win, and may they bring peace and love to BWE, indeed, to the world."

Daley said afterwards that, at least in his city, attendees of the BWE convention would be allowed to discuss the wines after the event without suppression of free speech or any involvement whatsoever by Chicago riot police.

Negotiations committed to better ensuring a fair and honest blind tasting of the two Pauillacs were ongoing as this story went to press.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I bet that wiley fox How is delighted that the electioneering laws don't apply in Chicago. Did Daley say anything about how many votes each of us will be allowed to cast, or what it costs these days to buy a vote?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It does indeed speak volumes that we must travel to Chicago to obtain a fair vote.
Looks like the cost for the Saturday night dinner is going to be substantially less than other recent conventions, can we hire some of those vaunted Chicago riot police as security to stand by and maintain a little law and order for a change?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jimmy, I know you'd like to hire some skull-crackers, but those guys from the '68 Democratic convention are all long retired. Don't you have some union connections you can tap?

Just think of all the votes and/or "security" that can be bought with the money saved on the dinner...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

CHICAGO POLICE TO PROVIDE SECURITY AT WINE EVENT

DALEY: "VOTE WILL BE FAIR"

Chicago, Illinois (AP)-- Chicago Mayor Richard Daley was joined on the steps of city hall this morning by fine wine heaveyweight promoters Jimmy L.B. How and Rob "Tar Heel" Dayton.

Providing a backdrop to the trio were twelve football-player-sized members of the famed Chicago Riot Police Force, each wearing helmets, riot gear, and one-way sunglasses, enlisted to provide "security" at the upcoming convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts in late March.

"We recognize the significance of this event," said Daley. "We are a first class city and we intend to provide first class security to ensure a fair vote in the blind tasting of the 1989 Lynch 'The Poor Man's Mouton' Bages and 1989 Pichon 'The Purple Baron' Baron."

"All we are looking for is a place where we can find a little fairness and freedom of expression," said How. "With its long traditions of honesty and accuracy in elections, we can think of no better place to hold this event than right here in the great city of Chicago! I can only speak on behalf of the Lynch, but we are here only in the spirit of love and goodwill. I have full confidence in the fine and dedicated officers of Mayor Daley's police force. If the Baron happens to prevail in a fair vote, I will be the first to congratulate my new friend from south of the Mason-Dixon line, Mister Rob Dayton."
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, you are on a roll...

If I buy 2 tickets, do I get 2 votes?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, David, John Kennedy was elected president because of Richard Daley's dad. We can say what we want about Nixon, but he took it like a man. I figure any town that is good enough to deliver a Kennedy presidency is good enough for a BWE blind tasting. And then of course there is the top notch police security....
stefan

Post by stefan »

My uncle Landslide intends to vote along with a few other friends and relatives.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I look forward to their votes. May they Rest in Peace, Stefan...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

FORMER GOVERNOR TO MONITOR WINE VOTING RESULTS

Chicago, Illinois (AP)-- Renowned international lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy "Lynch Bages" How announced today that former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich would lead a bipartisan commission of past and present governors in monitoring the voting results scheduled to follow the blind tasting of the 1989 Lynch "The Poor Man's Mouton" Bages and 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron at next month's annual convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts in Chicago.

Blagojevich will be joined by former governor Elliot Spitzer of New York and embattled Mark Sanford of South Carolina.

"I have had an opportunity to meet 'privately' with Governor Blagojevich," winked How to a chuckling invitation-only press briefing limited to members of the Chicago print and broadcast media in the lobby of the Affinia Hotel on East Superior Street. (www.Affinia.com/AffiniaChicago) "I have full confidence that Governor Blagojevich and his team will help to ensure fairness and equity in the post-blind-tasting voting tally next month. All we are looking for is a little honesty and free speech in the tabulation of the voting results, for a change."

How mentioned in particular recent suspect tabulations during similar blind tastings in New York City as well as Maryland, the state that produced disgraced former governor and vice president Spiro Agnew.

Blagojevich also attended the press briefing but declined comment upon the advice of counsel.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

If only Spiro Agnew and Huey Long could join them. Ted Stevens is probably available. And Sarah Palin...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

OBAMA WEIGHS IN ON LYNCH-BARON BATTLE

Washington, D.C. (AP)-- U.S. President Barack Obama took time out from health care reform negotiations today to meet in the White House oval office for a photo session with the three liter bottles of 1989 Lynch-Bages and 1989 Pichon Baron and their owner/trainers, internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How of Maine and fine wine mogul Robert "Tar Heel" Dayton of North Carolina.

"Let the story of these two rivals be an inspiration to us all," said the somber president. "During these times of animosity and partisanship, these worthy adversaries have put aside the divisions of the past for an evening of love and goodwill in the great city of Chicago."

Obama brushed aside questions about his inability to accomplish anything whatsoever in his first year in office despite overwhelming Democratic Party majorities in both houses of Congress.

With wife Michelle by his side, the president presented How and Dayton with special medals carefully crafted by an unknown member of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts in replication of an original on display at the Smithsonian museum honoring BWE Manager JimHow as the "former" manager of the internationally acclaimed fine wine web site. The medal was discovered by archaeologists several years ago at the bottom of a solid waste landfill owned by the municipality of Lewiston, Maine.

The bottles of 1989 Lynch Bages and 1989 Pichon Baron will square off for the third and likely final time in a blind tasting to be held in Chicago at the end of March in celebration of the ten-year anniversary of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts. The '89 Lynch prevailed in the two previous meetings between the two fighters, also held in Chicago in 2001 and 2004.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We need a spoiler. A third-party candidate. No measly Perot or Nader. No Know-Nothing panty-waist. We need a real candidate, a Bull Moose candidate, a Teddy Roosevelt for our times. Got something in mind, Michael P?
Rick

Post by Rick »

I am thinking 89 Lafite would round out the competition:)
rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm sure internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How will be weighing in on the issue in the next 24 hours....
Rick

Post by Rick »

I hope Jim is not getting washed away in the rains

Almost all snow piles are gone in Chicago and it is starting to look like spring as the grasses are greening and spring flowers are starting to poke their green shoots out
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just got back to Maine, Rick, after a fun weekend in NYC capped off by a great night at the Met Opera with Jacques and Jill. I don't know if I've ever seen rain and wind of the force we saw last night in Manhattan! There is basically no snow left on the ground here in Maine....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Torrential rain here yesterday, less so today. Still have piles of snow where it drifted or was plowed, but most is gone. Bulbs are starting to send up their first shoots.
RDD

Post by RDD »

The Baron is in the air.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more
The bloody Red Baron, was rollin' out the score.

Ooops, wrong Baron
RDD

Post by RDD »

Nice voice though!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The '89 Lynch Bages (and other Chicago '10 wines) has been removed from its resting place and is now standing in the How cellar, beginning final preparations for its final, poignant, historic journey to the Windy City....
Attachments
wines.jpg
wines.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

CHICAGO TIMES

LARGE MAINE CROWD BIDS FAREWELL TO BELOVED BORDEAUX ICON

TORCH TO BE PASSED TO 1996 LYNCH

Lewiston, Maine (AP)-- A massive throng of supporters gathered in historic Kennedy Park in this gritty central Maine town this morning for a fond tribute and farewell to the legendary double-magnum of 1989 Lynch "The Poor Man's Mouton" Bages.

The iconic Bordeaux has been stored for years in the wine cellars of internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How. It is the last bottle from How's cellar of the wine, also known as "the greatest Bordeaux since 1961", ending a remarkable run of success over the past two decades.

To loud jeers of displeasure from the crowd, How announced that the upcoming battle in Chicago next week against old friend and foe 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron would be the last for the aging '89 Lynch.

"After this fight, we will pass the torch to the 1996 Lynch Bages," said How. He called the the 1996 vintage the "last of the great Lynch Bages," and promised another decade of battles against the best that Bordeaux has to offer.

After the send-off ceremony, How and his fighter were hurried into a waiting limosine for the airport and flight on to Chicago. How refused to comment on breaking reports that a third fighter owned by a mysterious Dubai multi-billionaire would be entering the blind tasting contest in Chicago.

Purple Baron owner Rob "Tar Heel" Dayton from North Carolina could likewise not be reached for comment at press time on the breaking developments from the Middle East.
RDD

Post by RDD »

The humble contender quietly slipped into the greater Chicago area yesterday. I have it on good authority the travel went well and the Purple Baron is resting in a cool cellar.
Rick

Post by Rick »

That friday bottle is looking good.....the 07 Rhones will be a warm up fight for Friday night
Across town there will be a light weight fight with the Burgundies

rick
stefan

Post by stefan »

Uh-oh. I have visions of a Burgundy-Rhone shoot out at a future BWE convention.