What are you buying these days? Me: Not much....

JimHow

What are you buying these days? Me: Not much....

Post by JimHow »

I was talking to Rick on the phone yesterday and we were talking about how we were cutting way back on our wine purchases. And i thought for a moment, gee, what am I really hot to get my hands on in 2010? And the answer is: Nothing.

If 2008 and 2009 Bordeaux meet the expectations of the critics and the prices are not out of sight I'll probably buy some cases of my favorite wines from those vintages next year and the year after for consumption in my sixties, seventies, and eighties.

But as for stuff to buy in 2010: I have bought very little 2006 Bordeaux, I intend to buy zero bottles of 2007 Bordeaux. I bought about a mixed case of 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape, mostly vieux Telegraphe. I'll probably buy another half dozen bottles of 2007 CdP to lay down. I'll probably buy a few 2004 Spanish wines, and six or eight bottles of 2007 white burgundy.

But other than that, I have absolutely no intention to buy any Bordeaux or any other wines for that matter in 2010. The times they are achangin'!
JonB

Re: What are you buying these days? Me: Not much....

Post by JonB »

I bought 2 bottles of '07 Sancerre a couple of weeks ago. What a nice white wine, no oak, with just bracing acidity. $20/bottle.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A shit load

I went on my first buying bender for many years in Dec/January/February, and got good prices for all of these cases:

Bordeaux

Yquem 97, Duforts 06, GPL 06, Belair 05, Belair 85, P Baron 08, Leo Barton 08 (the latter two for nephews born in 08), odds of GPL 95, LLC 90 and Gruaud 83

Burgundy

Lafarge Volnay Clos De Chenes 01, Drouhin Larose Clos De Beze 02, a mixed case of 1er and GC red burgs (00 to 06) from the UK Wine Society

Rhone/Provence

Allemand Cornas Reynard 05, 06, 07, Chaillots 07; Clape Cornas 04, Domaine De Trevallon 07

Italy - Piedmont

Cappellano Barolo Pie Rupestris 99, 04; Pie Franco 01, 04; Vietti Barolo Brunate 00; Macarini Brunate 01; Roagna Barbaresco Paje 03

Italy - Tuscany

Brunello 04s - Agostina Pieri, Tenuata Il Poggione, Salvioni; Rosso 07s - Savioni, Agostina Pieri

Champagne

Joseph Perrier Cuvee Josephine 2002

Oz

Penfolds St Henri 99, Bin 128 98

I funded this lot by selling a single case of 2003 Lagrange
William P

Post by William P »

I am not buying futures, from anyone! I am not buying 06 for either burgundy or bordeaux except to taste. I am only buying wines that are being super-discounted and then only from vintage 2005 and specifically burgundy and bordeaux. This should be played out soon. I am buying quaffing wines from my local wine growing area of Clarksburg and Fairplay. (As an aside, I visited Fairplay on Monday and I continued to be amazed at the price structure of average wine.)

Soon, I expect to see big discounts in the California premium niche (napa). I have not seen it yet. I may buy then but . . . .

I won't buy white burgs until premox issue is resolved.

I'll continue to buy kabinett's and such.

I'll be an opportuntistic buyer of port.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Not buying much here either.

Aren't the following two statements mutually exclusive?
JimHow wrote:If 2008 and 2009 Bordeaux meet the expectations of the critics and the prices are not out of sight...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The futures prices for 2008 seem expensive but not outrageous. Duhart for $45, Mouton for $275, etc.
It'll be really interesting to see what the prices are for 2009.
If 2008 and and 2009 are indeed another 1989/90 scenario it might be good to do some stocking up.
At age 51 I'm finding that I'm approaching that point where I'm going to start buying backward rather than forward.
Not quite there yet, but getting there.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I don't have the years of experience y'all have, but it is a big question in my mind if RP is
correct
on 2008. He is the only critic that rates the vintage so highly, and several posts from UGC tastings in the US last month indicated that the producers are not nearly as high on the vintage as the man from Monkton. Hard to say.....I guess we'll know in a few months if other reviewers revise their '08 scores upward.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I saw some 2008 Bordeaux futures prices recently, and I thought a few of them were potentially tempting. But that is all relative. At my age (I get a senior discount at the movies now) I am less interested in Bordeaux wines that Burgundies, Rhones, and Italians. I bought one case of 2005 Bordeaux because I have a soft spot for Pontet Canet. And I'm tempted by the 2008 Pontet if I can find it for about $75. It will be a wine I can drink for my 90th birthday! And I don't know what I will do about the 2009 Pontet - maybe they will manage to make a poor wine in a great vintage and solve my dilemma.

I have not bought a lot since the 2005 Burgundy campaign. I did buy a mixed case of low/mid priced 07 Chateauneufs and I have purchased probably two-plus cases of a variety of 07 Cotes du Rhone. And I invested in one case of 04 Brunello. Other than that, I am buying relatively inexpensive whites and some Chianti that I tend to purchase every year.

I am personally hoping for the convergence of a great 2009 vintage from Burgundy, and a regular paycheck again to support buying it.

Jon
stefan

Post by stefan »

I ordered a case of 2002 La Lagune @ $280 + 11% but don't know if it will come in. I bought two six packs of St Innocent 2008 special selection PN on futures. In January I purchased a few cases at my merchant's annual 30% off sale. I look for deals but don't see many.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

trolling for tuscans
tim

Post by tim »

I haven't seriously invested in futures since 2000. I'm thinking of buying into 2009....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Your comments are interesting, Jon, on Parker and 2008. For the life of me I don't see what he sees in the 2006 vintage. He rated 2006 La Tour Carnet something like 91-93 points. After about half a glass, that wine just completely fell apart.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Jim - you're winding me up again about 06s!

I got good prices on Dom de Chev, Gruaud, Lagrange, Durfort, Gloria etc and they are Better Than 02 and (with possible exception of Lagrange) Better Than 04 (and of course way better than the doomed 03s!)

It's a BWE style vintage that, if the price is right, BWE should celebrate!

Richard
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha i thought of you half way through my last post Richard.
I am glad you like those wines but I just have not seemed to latch onto them.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Thanks Jim - it's very nice to think that you and other BWE friends think of their board-friends when they write - this is the first board I've joined and the only one I intend to join

r
Claret

Post by Claret »

I have given this topic a lot of thought lately. This year I am trying really hard to stick to a specific budget. February isn't even over yet and I am almost halfway thru the planned amount, owing to the fact that 2 of the mailing lists have already come in. This is going to be a challenge during the remainder of the year.

Some far I have bought 1 sixpack of St. Innocent Special Selection(good job stefan!), 10 bottles of Rhys/Alesia, a case of Dehlinger, a case of 2004/2007 JJ Prum Kabinett closeouts and half a case of another 2007 German closeout.

Anything that will cause me to deviate from my plan will have to a screaming deal on a wine that I cannot live wihout. The closeouts are out there and many are surely tempting. January and February are traditonally slow months for wine retailers, so expect the bargains to continue. In 2011 I am planning on cutting back even further in an effort to drink down some of my inventory. I will be auctioning off about a case of some good stuff in the near future as part of the big picture.

Bill,

We had a 2006 Miraflores Herbert Zin last night, and it was excellent in a balanced, claret style of Zin. Their Syrah, especially the Methode Ancien, is also excellent. The wines are very consistent in quality and pricing is very fair. Check them out the next time that out are in El Dorado. We tried Toogood winery on a suggestion from Lisa's boss(the guy who puts an icecube in his reds), and while the winemaker was the same as Miraflores, the wines were more expensive and Lessgood.

Glenn
Glenn
jal

Post by jal »

Only Italian so far this year:

6 bottles of 2006 Produttori Barbaresco
6 bottles of 2004 Produttori Paje Barbaresco
3 bottles of 2004 Mascarello Monprivato Barolo
3 bottles of 2004 Frescobaldi Castegiocondo Brunello

I've also cut down on my drinking. I just spent a week in Tel Aviv and had a third of a pint of beer the whole week. I did have two glasses of some Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc on the flight, though.
Best

Jacques
William P

Post by William P »

Glen, thanks for the tip. I went to Toogood also. I left unimpressed. I ended up buying a case of syrah form Charles Mitchell in their bottle your own promo. It's a good wine for bbq and the like and it was priced to move.

Bill
stefan

Post by stefan »

That would be the 2008 SI, Glenn?

I tried a 2005 SI Anden last night. Really good, but nearly closed down now. I will keep the remainder of my '05s in storage for a few years. The '06s continue to drink pretty well and I'm drinking through the '07s quickly.

Condolences on your dry TA visit, Jacques. :)

stefan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The glaring thing about the responses in this thread, of course, is the lack of purchasing of... Bordeaux....
stefan

Post by stefan »

For this bottom feeder, the reason is that the deals I have found on Burgundies have been better than those for Bordeaux.

stefan
William P

Post by William P »

Stefan, I agree.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Italians, and back loading older vintages via auctions.

I haven't bought a Bordeaux from a post-1990 vintage in over 5 months!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I have been buying and drinking lots of cheap but delicious Bordeaux. I must add that while practically everyone I know is on the wagon or has been on the wagon in some form or another, I haven't been able to do it. In fact, I've discovered that the amount that I drink is somewhat higher than average... for Scotland:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/world ... ing&st=cse

Not entirely comforting...

-Chasse
michael

Post by michael »

My Bordeaux buying has been way down as well the last few years. Living here in the heart of Washington's wine country has certainly offered many more local options for my wine buying dollars. There was a time, back in the early 2000's when Bordeaux was an excellent value. I remember picking up bottles of 97 Smith Haut Lafitte and buying '99 d'Issan for under $20. Now it seems like it's $40 or $50 for wines in the same quality range. Sure there's still the occasional deal on an under the radar chateau, but for the most part, Bordeaux just doesn't offer the same value it did back then. I hate to say it since I still love good Bordeaux, but around here the WA wines offer a much better value.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Got some wines Jacques touted on the board today.

6 bottles of Produtori Barbaresco 06 @ 23.99 each
6 bottles of Paul Pernot Bourgogne Blanc 08 @ 15.13 each (shared the case so got 10% off the regular price of 16.99, from Garnet)
Plus a few more Roagnas, this time 03 Vigna Rondas @44.99

The only things remaining on my hit list are some Chablis Brocard 07 1er Cru and some Gloria 06 @26.79 each, then I am done.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
On average, Scots age 16 and older drank the equivalent of 12.5 quarts of pure alcohol each in 2007
>>

Let's see, Chris. That is around 134 bottles of wine per year, which is about right for a religious tee-totaler. How can you be only "somewhat above average"? Does "somewhat" mean "by a factor of two to three"?

stefan
Claret

Post by Claret »

Yes stefan, it was the 2008. 2005 Villages Cuvee is drinking well now with some air. 2004 Shea was delish, but also needs some air to blossom, and it was a nice contrast to 2006 Dehlinger Goldridge, which was richer but less developed. The only Anden that I have tried is 2002 shortly after release and it was very tight. This is a vineyard that seems to need a lot of cellar time so I am letting them slumber.

Most of my 2006's are from Le Cadeau and I will be digging into them this year.

As for new Bordeaux purchases, well they are a non issue. MyBordeaux purchasing has been drastically reduced over the last few years with only 30 bottles from 2000, 12 from 2002, 6 from 2004 and 1, yes only 1, from 2005. The deals are just not there on my old favorites and the modern ripe stuff does not usually thrill me.

My tasting preferences keep evolving and are mostly gravitating toward Pinot Noir and Riesling, with a smattering of Syrah. However when I do open a mature Bordeaux it is with great anticipation and appreciation. I am less reluctant to lay down bottles for 20 years at this stage in my life, and a decade or so is about the limit of my patience anymore.

Glenn
Glenn
Claret

Post by Claret »

Another factor has been consuming alcohol with cholesterol statins. My liver function numbers have been slightly elevated and my old doctor was not too concerned. My new doctor basically implied that I was an alcoholic based on the number. It was not off the charts high just elevated. I have cut back on my consumption by about a third and now the number is fine. So I am drinking one third less and yet my cellar continues to grow. My cellar space is maxed out. Next year I will be buying less, that is for sure.

Glenn
Glenn
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Stefan,
Thanks for joining in - I knew I could count on you to question my math! Actually, I forgot to put in the word 'male' as in the average Scottish male. I assume that the males drink at least twice as much as the females. Since they just described a national average with what seemed like a gross amount divided by the population, I felt at liberty to interpret their figures a little. Am I getting a little further away from the religious teetotalers now?
-Chris
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Considering all the marketing intelligence information that companies and institutes are "mining" from social networking sites, I wonder if the data in this thread represents a precursor for what will be happening with Bordeaux purchases in this country in the coming years. ;)

Jon
stefan

Post by stefan »

Massaging the data, Chris, is useful.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have been amazing myself with my wine fasting. I haven't been this alcohol free since I was in politics in the early nineties.
Other than one occasion when I drank some wine with friends I had over for dinner, I haven't touched alcohol since Christmas Eve.
I have no plans for drinking other than with Jacques and Jill before the opera in a couple weeks, and Chicago '10.
My wine fasting has coincided with a twenty pound weight loss and the completion of 13 chapters of my novel!
jal

Post by jal »

And I think we'll go very easy on the vino during dinner, maybe a glass of sparkling and a glass of red with dinner. We are also cutting down.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I try not to drink too much before the opera it makes me too sleepy.
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

I'm buying lots of wines to drink but nothing much to cellar. There are lots of bargains out there and I go through lots of wine so I'm stocking up on stuff in the $10 to $35 range.