TN: 1996 Sociando Mallet

JCNorthway

TN: 1996 Sociando Mallet

Post by JCNorthway »

This past Saturday I was on my own for dinner. So what better to do than fire up the charcoal grill in the middle of February for New York strip accompanied by a bottle of Bordeaux. This is the 4th bottle of this wine I have opened since the first one in 2001. Back then it was very tight and not giving up very much. But I am here to report that is is coming along very nicely. My most recent bottle was back in May, and it opened up nicely after being opened for a while. Based on this bottle, I would say that this wine is in or approaching its peak at age 14. It still retains good structure with noticeable tannins and acidity. But the fruit is coming out and it is oh so lovely both on the nose and the palate. This was an absolute pleasure to drink with the steak. I recorked and tasted again the next day - it was still very nice, but had lost a bit of its really fresh fruit characteristics.

I think I have four more bottles of this wine, and I will probably plan to drink at least three of them over the next five years, maybe saving one for longer term research. But at a purchase price not much over $30, this is a tough bottle to beat. I think I recall someone recently commenting that they felt like this was possibly past its prime. If so, it must be a good example of bottle variation, or possibly different storage conditions. This one was certainly not over the hill.

Jon
Michael Malinoski

Re: TN: 1996 Sociando Mallet

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Thanks, Jon. In a note I took on a bottle 2 years ago speculated that this vintage was likely to need 10 years. Sounds like maybe it is getting into a good spot even earlier than that. I appreciate the update and look forward to your next check-in!

-Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The very first BWE Wine of the Year!

Thanks for the report Jon.

I have only three bottles left in my cellar.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is a great wine, especially for the $30 I paid back in 2003/4. Thanks for the note, Jon. Overall, I agree with your impressions of the 1996 SM, but based on the few bottles I've popped in the past few years, I think this wine is only just beginning to shine and will be even better in another 10-15 years!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Jon,

The wife and kids being away, I especially enjoyed reading your tasting note since I too had cooked myself a steak (panfried hanger steak with crushed pepper and shallots browned in butter) and enjoyed a Bordeaux with it all on my lonesome!
This was a 2005 Ch. Fougas, Côtes de Bourg, Cuvée Prestige.
Very nice with forward fruit and characterful tannin. Really good inexpensive Bordeaux. A little young, but not by much.

As for your Sociando Mallet, I'm glad that you, too, were able to find very worthwhile value for money in this region with so much to offer!

All the best,
Alex R.