TN: 2005 Château Gressier Grand Poujeaux (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc)

Otto Nieminen

TN: 2005 Château Gressier Grand Poujeaux (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc)

Post by Otto Nieminen »

• 2005 Château Gressier Grand Poujeaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc (2/2/2009)
    21,70€; 13,5% abv; Cru Bourgeois Supérieur; 50% Cab Sauv, 50% Merlot. Dark red. The fruit is very ripe, but that isn't the first thing that caught my attention. Rather it was the uncommon balance despite the ripeness that did! I tend to prefer my Claret on the elegant, thin end of the spectrum where the green/herbaceous aspects are obvious and though this does have slight Cabernet herbaceousness, these aromas are in the background and a sweet, dark toned fruitiness is to the fore. Yet it is a refreshing rather than an overpoweringly fruity smell, so I enjoy it - especially because the oak is used with a very light hand. Full bodied, deep, juicy tannins, quite high acidity for what is obviously a warm year wine. Not a classically proportioned Claret, but a very enjoyable one nonetheless.
Posted from CellarTracker
Previously known as Geshtin.
JimHow

Re: TN: 2005 Château Gressier Grand Poujeaux (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc)

Post by JimHow »

Do you get the impression that the quality of this wine was the product of the overall excellence of the vintage, Otto, or is this an estate that we should look at on a yearly basis?
Otto Nieminen

Re: TN: 2005 Château Gressier Grand Poujeaux (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Moulis en Médoc)

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Jim, I really can't say since this is the only vintage I have had. From what I have read, they were known for making backward wines that repay long aging despite their modest price tag. But since 2003 whence they have been under Chasse-Spleen they have received good press and reading between the lines, aren't as hard young as they were before. This 2005 certainly made me want to taste other vintages!
Previously known as Geshtin.