Lawyer: '05 Burgundies Issue Challenge to Bordeaux at DC '09

JimHow

Lawyer: '05 Burgundies Issue Challenge to Bordeaux at DC '09

Post by JimHow »

WASHINGTON POST

BURGUNDY CHALLENGES BORDEAUX AT BWE CONVENTION

Washington, D.C. (AP)-- With the annual convention of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts only two months away, controversy came to the nation's capital as international lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How held an impromptu press conference on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

How was fresh from a White House luncheon with President Barack Obama and Congressional leaders to discuss a stimulus plan for the struggling world fine wine market. With a corps of veteran Washington reporters present, How announced that he had been retained to represent the interests of the 2005 village Burgundy vintage during the world economic crisis.

"I stand here before you today, on this solemn spot, where just last last month the likes of Shakira and Jay-Z and Garth Brooks inspired a nation and a world," announced the veteran trial lawyer in a prepared statement. "All we ask for is a place at the table. All we want is equality in this land of Washington and Jefferson and Lincoln."

How was responding to the controvery raised recently on the internationally renowned website "Bordeaux Wine Enusiasts" (BWE) over the decision to name the 2005 village Burgundy vintage as the 2008 BWE Wine of the Year. The decision, derided by some as "shameful" and "crazy", sparked a wave of pride and patriotism among the humble gentleman farmers of Burgundy.

"These good gentle tillers of the land in Burgundy merely want to share their beautiful wines with the good people here in the free nation of America," said How. "We challenge the wines of Bordeaux to a blind tasting at the BWE convention. In the spirit of goodwill engendered by our new president and House Speaker Pelosi, we recognize the accomplishments of our friends from the great wine region of Bordeaux. We humbly believe the Burgundies from 2005, top to bottom, can compete with the wines of any region in the world-- including Bordeaux."

As proof, How cited a recent report of Allan "Burghound" Meadows, who said of the 2005 Burgundy vintage: "Let's cut directly to the chase ... 2005 is quite simply the best top to bottom vintage that I have ever seen, period, full stop. ... 2005 is a brilliant vintage with virtually nothing to dislike (except perhaps the prices) and here is the key point: It's also great from top to bottom, from grand and premier crus right through villages and regional wines."

How ended his press conference by issuing a challenge to Bordeaux: A blind tasting of six village level 2005 Burgundies against six 2005 Bordeaux wines of equivalent breed.

"We believe the 2005 village Burgundy wines represent some of the best values that have hit the market in the past year," he said. "We believe the wines are worthy of their designation as the 2008 Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts Wine of the Year, and we look forward to the opportunity to prove it, here in the nation's capital, in April."
stefan

Re: Lawyer: '05 Burgundies Issue Challenge to Bordeaux at DC '09

Post by stefan »

I dunno about having '05 Burgs as the BWE wine of the year, but finally my '05s arrived and last night Lucie and I had our first taste of an '05 village wine--Potel Volnay VV. It was really full and good and should improve for quite some time. Tonight we'll try a second Potel '05, this time a Savigny Jarrons.

Why have a blind taste off between Burgundy and Bordeaux? It would take unusual abilities not to know which is which.

2/4/09 The '05 Potel Savigny-les-Beaune Les Hauts Jarrons 1er Cru is also nice. The SLB is full of spicy ripe raspberries. Unlike the the Volnay, there is no darkness to this wine; just some fresh underbrush in the nose and mouth. The Volnay is deeper and has a longer finish, but the SLB is perhaps as attractive; just different. The SLB is full of tasty spicy ripe raspberries. I would like to try it with tuna sashimi. Right now I am eating Margarita pizza and we'll drink the rest of it with chicken and mushroom casserole. LATER: The SLB is even better with the casserole and has deepened. At $25 this and the Volnay VV were incredible bargains.

stefan
Last edited by stefan on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

(This will be addressed in press conferences to come, Stefan.)
William P

Post by William P »

Stefan, I am glad you like it. This has been my go to burg for over a year. I have a hard time keeping my hands off it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I bought a total of about 18 bottles, Bill, based upon your recommendation, and I'm glad I did.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

stefan,

Thanks for the notes. I have a bottle of the 2005 Potel Volnay VV standing up in the pantry right now. I'll have to give it a try very soon.

Chris Bublitz
hm$

Post by hm$ »

For the love of all things holy, please keep the Burgundy swill limited to Thursday night.

hm$
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha HM$, don't worry, the Burgs will be relegated to the hotel rooms. I'm going to force a small taste of '05 Burg upon you though before the weekend is over.