TNs: A Burgundy and a Piedmont

Ramon_NYC

TNs: A Burgundy and a Piedmont

Post by Ramon_NYC »

2005 N Potel Savigny-les-Beaune Les Hauts Jarrons 1er, Burguundy
As dark as any S-l-B wine that I had. The nose was packed with earth, meat and slight mint. Young wine and still tannic. Cherry flavors, very good acidity, layers of cherries and strawberries, slight dusty component. Some wood, but not distracting. Quite big, but went very well with food. Not a blockbuster but certainly delivered. B+

1998 Conterno-Fantino MonPra Langhe Rosso, Piedmont
Very nice. Made of Nebbiolo and Barbera with 10% Cabenernet Sauvignon. Black plum in color with slight purplish rim. Mushroom and eucalyptus on the nose. Lots of sediment. Tannic, young, lots of oak and needs bold hearty dish - drank with some leftover oxtail braised in syrah. Softened with time in glass and revealed some nicely-ripened fruit, still oaky and big, but with good overall balance. I don’t know if adding Cabernet Sauvignon is a common thing in Piedmont wines, but I was impressed with the cabernet component that I thought contributed power and some chocolatey component . Long pleasant finish. I think this will have many more good drinking years. A-

Ramon
Houndsong

Re: TNs: A Burgundy and a Piedmont

Post by Houndsong »

I think I have a couple of those Potels. Sounds good, but also sounds like a few years of cellar time is indicated? At least that was my conclusion on sampling one of the other Potels I bought.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Houndsong wrote:I think I have a couple of those Potels. Sounds good, but also sounds like a few years of cellar time is indicated? At least that was my conclusion on sampling one of the other Potels I bought.
I would tend to agree and inasmuch as I liked it now, as I think some cellar time would further soften some of the rough edges. I am not familiar with Potels, but have purchased some 2005's and have been happily sampling on a few. So far, I liked what I have.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

The story goes that when Angelo Gaja was tearing out a Nebbiolo vineyard to be replanted with Cabernet Sauvignon, his father said "Darmagi" or "What a pity." Gaja still calls his Cabernet bottling "Darmagi"!

I don't think there's very much acreage planted to Cab or Merlot in the Piedmont, but they're there.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks Tom. Interesting Gaja tidbit. It got me Googling and am now wondering if Grandpa Gaja is saying “Darmagi!” 4 more times after they acquired and re-planted 200 acres in Bolgheri, Tuscany with Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc and Syrah.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Bolgheri, the home of Sassicaia is too warm for Sangiovese. Bordeaux varitals do very well in this warmer area by the sea.

Gaja puts French Varitals in his best Cuvees and doesn't call them Barbaresco anymore, thats not a "Pity" thats a "Crime" in spirit to me.

Global warming is starting to effect in a negative way, as wines that need an acidic lift to brighten them are becoming too soft. It's no easy feat acidifying wine, I've had wines that suffered from this that were like a "See-Saw" as they entered your mouth the acidity jumps on the tip of your tongue, and then slams down on the back of your throat.

Even Germany had to acidify some wines from the 2003 vintage. This was a country that had a problem with too acidic years up to the late 90s. When balanced, acidty gave charm and snap to German wines to keep them lively and act as a counter point to residual sugars of late harvest or very ripe grapes.