TN: 2004 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet

jal

TN: 2004 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet

Post by jal »

• 2004 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (2/6/2009)
    With steamed lobsters and asparagus (hey, lobsters are on sale! I have bough farmed salmon for more money than lobsters these days), the wine is beautifully colored, bright intense yellow, with aromas of white fruits. Refined texture with good flavors and minerals and a long finish. A little lacking in depth, but for a simple Puligny Village, it is just beautiful.
Posted from CellarTracker
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Re: TN: 2004 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet

Post by dstgolf »

I'm surprised we haven't enjoyed cheaper lobster prices this year than we have. In the Fall while visiting Maine the local papers were commenting on a bumper catch for lobster. The fishermen were complaining they had never seen prices so low. They were selling canners (10-12oz) for $1.99 at the local stores in Portland while we were there. Great deal! Considering the decline in the economy along with decreased free flowing corporate$'s supplying high end restaurants fewer lobsters are being sold. Doesn't make sense that the local retailer hasn't passed the apparent wholesale savings on to their customers. Maybe we'll see some changes in pricing soon.

Danny
Danny
PappaDoc

Re: TN: 2004 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet

Post by PappaDoc »

Pernot has been one of my favorite producers for the past six years. He is highly regarded by Matt Kramer and is a BIG source for Drouhin.

From "Making Sense Of Burgundy" By Matt Kramer (One of my favorite wine books, I've spent many hours reading and re-reading this book). I suggest Jim and everyone falling in love with Burgundy buy a copy of this book. It's a history book and has the holdings listed by vineyard and climat. Something that cannot be found today, as they have been made unavailable, I don't know the reason.

"This producer is probably the best kept secret in Puligny-Montrachet. His wines are no secret to the locals. Far from it. But to outsiders, the Pernot name is almost unknown, largely because he sells 60 to 80 percent of his production to Maison Joseph Drouhin. Pernot owns wonderful vineyards and is a superb winemaker in his own right. His "Folatieres" is magnificent, as is his "Pucells", which is the finest example I know. His plot in Pucelles is right next to Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet. Should he someday choose to estate-bottle all of his wines, Domaine Pernot could rival Leflaive as the greatest Puligny domaine."

Also from Kramers book.

" I am hard pressed to recall a better Batard-Montrachet than that from Paul Pernot. When I pressed him for a reason, Pernot shrugged. The good ones always do. So I went in for the kill: Show me the map where your vineyard plots are located. He beamed. There are three Morceaux (mouthfuls) he said. All of them bordered Montrachet. Voila! Coupled with Pernot's impeccable winemaking, his Batard-Montrachet is as good as it gets: an expolsive scent, lemony, honeyed, and blessed with a seemingly endless aftertaste. All this from vines planted mostly on 1976, with a few patches of old vines, according to Paul Pernot. Of the ten Barrels he makes, eight go to Maison Joseph Drouhin, leaving just fifty cases of wine for the domaine(Pernots) bottling. Reference-standard."

Kramers book was writen in 1988, I asked the Drouhin Brothers, they live in Westchester, one Sat when they were in Zachys, if this was still true. They said "sshush! yes, but of course we don't speak loudly of this." I like the candor of the Drouhins and love some of thier Red and White Burgs. They are consistent and some are reference standards, Musigny, Les Amoureuses, thier Red & White Le Clos Des Mouches, Le Montrachet "Marquis De Laguiche", etc

Lastly Pernots pricing is sensible in comparison to other producers. Do I think Leflaives "Pucelles" is better than Pernots? Yes, but Leflaives is over $200.00 per btl while Pernots is under $100. I tasted Pernots 07s last fall with Jeanne-Marie De Champs , Pernots (and other Greats) distributor, and a great Lady. They are without a doubt the best I've ever tasted from Pernot!