Stress test #2

Houndsong

Stress test #2

Post by Houndsong »

Last night I nuked a frozen half-bottle of wine to have with dinner (you may recall that previously I reported on the results of freezing wine for short-term storage). While I did not have an unfrozen, unnuked half-bottle of wine as a control, I'd say this wine tasted better than just a basic refrigerated overnight bottle. In fact it tasted pretty much like the day-one bottle.

Next I think I am going to take an unopened bottle of wine through a series of 55 to 70 degree oscillations, several thousand hopefully, in a rapid fashion in an effort to simulate the effects of passive storage over time. I will report back, God willing.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: Stress test #2

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

There was once a guy on this board who somehow started an approximately 100 post flame-throwing, down and dirty brew-ha-ha with a post about how he decided to mix a couple of wines together to see what it tasted like. I can't remember who it was, Hound. But you could be upholding that tradition in theory, although it just shows how civilized we've all become in the intervening years.
-Chasse
stefan

Post by stefan »

What low life would mix wines together, Chris? :)
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Stefan,
I wish I could remember, but believe me - it was a prominent BWEer. He described how he would take some merlot, perhaps a St. Emilion left over from Thursday, and then pour that into a carafe with some Cab Sauvignon ('89 Lafite, probably) that he failed to polish off on Friday, and Voila! Something almost like the latest blend at Angelus. Don't get me wrong, though (I know I'm always saying that ;), it's not that I disapprove at all. But Hound's post reminded me of those wild and wooly days. I'll never forget that post. It makes me laugh even now, thinking of how he orchestrated this huge outcry. Or maybe it was purely innocent. In those days, we used to call them, "pot-stirrers." Or maybe, 'wine-blenders.' Or maybe just, 'lunatics.'
-Chasse
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

I regularly used to blend minor cheapies together if neither tasted decent and if they were of Bx grapes - often an improvement resulted. These days life seems too short to buy cheapies at all...

Richard
jal

Post by jal »

Stefan, you are such a trouble making pot-stirrer!! :D
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That's nuttin'...

How about the folks who claimed a good vigorous shake was necessary to get the most out of - it was some big Ozzie fruit bomb - maybe Mollydooker? Or the ones who recommend putting it in a blender?

Mix it, freeze it, microwave it, blend it. And then serve it with: mmmmmmm, donuts. Or wait, even better: Whoopie Pies!! :mrgreen:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Back in the days when I used to drink wine there was nothing like an '89 Lynch and Maine whoopie pie.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You want to talk stress test...

I'm betting a Whoopie Pie a day will kill you faster than a couple of glasses of Bordeaux. But it wont drive you to bankruptcy.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I don't disapprove of wine blending at home. I'll have to try it sometime...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My last whoopie pie was 35 pounds ago....
tim

Post by tim »

How about the folks who claimed a good vigorous shake was necessary to get the most out of - it was some big Ozzie fruit bomb - maybe Mollydooker? Or the ones who recommend putting it in a blender?
This reminds me of the Gary Vaynerchuk tvlibrary 82 Bordeaux episode, which can be viewed here:

http://tv.winelibrary.com/2007/01/15/19 ... isode-166/

I wonder why he finds no sediment...luckily????
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Haven't watched the episode, but... No sediment in '82 Bdx? Guess it depends on the wine. Maybe they weren't really '82 Bdx?