Two splendid burgundy villages from Roumier and Coche Dury

Comte Flaneur

Two splendid burgundy villages from Roumier and Coche Dury

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The Roumier was a straight Chambolle Musigny from the 2000 vintage. In contrast to Bordeaux the 2000s in burgundy are regarded as a useful vintage for relatively early drinking. This wine is ready to drink but it is no lightweight. It has an amazing earthy nose, delicious red fruits on the palate, a silky/lacy texture and a marvellous clean finish. It is everything you could ask for in a village burgundy, and is a steal at $45. Two weeks ago I also had it with a friend at Fabio Piccolo Fiore, the venue for our 1986 Bordeaux horizontal. It was preceded by one of Pappa's 01 Raveneau Montees and followed by Cos D'Estournel 1996, but for my friend it was the pick of the three, and I had to say I agreed, excellent though the Raveneau was. The Cos was a little reticent for some reason that night - maybe not enough air - but it was outclassed by the Roumier.

The Coche Dury was a straight Meursault from the 1997 vintage. My last bottle out of a case which provided heavenly drinking. This wine is approaching the end of its drinking life, but is not poxed; nor is it going down hill. Quite a mature colour and a wonderful nose of lemon-tree-citrus, minerals and crushed rocks. On the palate this begins to put on weight and evolves beautifully with flinty notes but overwhelming flavours of lemon curd in a creamy texture but with a fine backbone of acidity and generous length on the palate. Unbelievable quality for a village wine. But nobody makes better dry white wine than Francois Coche Dury.
JimHow

Re: Two splendid burgundy villages from Roumier and Coche Dury

Post by JimHow »

That sounds like the Roumier you led me to from that store on Long Island, Ian. Sounds delicious, I'm sorry I have only one bottle in my cellar.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Two splendid burgundy villages from Roumier and Coche Dury

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I checked yesterday Jim and they still have it. I am thinking of going back for another half dozen...I bought six in November and am already down to my last one. Can't keep my mits off it.