An impressive cheap Palacio wine

Nicklasss

An impressive cheap Palacio wine

Post by Nicklasss »

In Spain and around the World, Alvaro Palacio proved that he is a great winemaker with his Ermita wine from the Priorat. Some lesser wines from same ACC Priorat (Finca Dofi, Les Terrasses) also are good.

Last weekend, i tried his cheapest Priorat available here in Québec, an was again impressed. The 2007 Camins del Priorat is a really convenient, smooth and interesting wine. giving lots of pleasure and satisfaction right now, by it medium power, nice complexity (red berries, flowers, spices, darker berries) and refreshing and medium to long finish. Very well made, I did not took detailed notes, but the wine let me really good impression. I'll buy some more because at that price, can't complaint. There is a bit of ''modern touch'' of oak too, but still solid spanish style. A TN around 90.

This remind me that wine can always give you good surprises.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: An impressive cheap Palacio wine

Post by Nicklasss »

And what a nice label! Perfect to drink with your lover.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Haven't heard or seen this one before. I've certainly enjoyed Palacios wines over the years. I looked at the SAQ site and couldn't find it. Is the spelling correct or did you buy it elsewhere? I'd like to try it for what's inside the bottle but the label description is intriguing!

Danny
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Danny, here is the full info:

Camins del Priorat Alvaro Palacios Priorat 2007 , Code SAQ : 11180351, 24,95 $

Few bottle available in Outaouais.

Nic
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Zachys had it on sale this past week for $15 a bottle. I liked it at a Staff tasting, then again I've liked evry wine I've had from Palacio. I do think the top wines are over priced though. I also loved the Les Terrasses, bought the 04 and 05 for $25 each about a year and a half ago.

Good job Nico!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks Nic for the info but they only have 2 bottles in the system and the store is almost an hour away. I think I`ll keep an eye out in the future to try it.

Pappadoc,

Agree 100% with the stable of Palacios wines being top notch and over priced. I still really enjoy them and pick them up when I see them on clearout sales. They have kind of flown under the radar unlike some other stars and I think pricing has a lot to do with them not flying off the shelf. I picked up the les Terases on clearnce last year for $19.95. The Finca Dofi usually goes for $95 and got some at $65. Lèrmita we stole the 1996 in Florida two years ago for $175 USD when the 2006 is selling for $799CDN. Even at the sale prices I think there is as good or better value in Bordeaux!!

Danny
Danny