A super Graves to kick off the weekend

Comte Flaneur

A super Graves to kick off the weekend

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chateau La Louviere 1998, Graves/Pessac Leognan

This is a beauty! It may not be profound or particularly complex; it certainly won't last 100 years but I was lucky to open this when it was in the right place:

Burnt ash, smokey, top soil, earthy, wet leaves, hints of black and red fruit; plenty of sweet piped tobacco - like your university professor used to smoke - the one with the long side burns, severe balding, thick-rimmed glasses, tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows - I digress: quite soft on the palate, tannins have melted, but gets a second wind with more complex minerally, graphite notes; stoney, minerally; hints of celerey; burnt peat, burnt raspberrly ( a la Pichon Lalande) charcoal and graphite. I can't remember what I paid for this (it was a while back) but what a pleasure (with lamb chops); nice way to start of a barmy summer weekend.

A la votre!
Chasse-Spleen

Re: A super Graves to kick off the weekend

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I had that wine about five years ago and it was beautiful then. A really underrated wine.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

A new classification of the Graves (because, paradoxically, although all the great growths are in the Pessac-léognan appellation they are still called "crus classés de *Graves*) has been talked about for years.

There is little doubt that La Louvière would be promoted if this ever saw the light of day.

Yes, often great value for money.

Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Makes me wonder how the 2000 Louviere is drinking these days. I just picked up another bottle of this for $30.

Fortunately, Parker nevers seems to give this chateau more than a 90, so it keeps it from the ranks of the prestigious and pricey.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I had a La Louviere blanc once that was quite good. I'll bet the 2007 is excellent.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I really liked the 1990 La Louviere, but haven't had a younger vintage since. I some 2000, but haven't tested it -- anyone have a 2000 Louviere TN?

--Gary Rust
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I've had this twice, most recently in the last month. I didn't post a note because I had it in my head that it was corked. Actually, I also had it in my head that the second wine I opened that night (a Croix St, Andre from LdP) was also corked. I could tell that the La Louviere had fleshed out significantly since my last bottle and seemed a lot more powerful. Guess I'll just have to open another one sooner than later.

Gary, the 2000 was really, really good, dense and smokey, when I had it about four years ago. How it is now I can't say. http://bordeauxwine.org/bwe/new/7/124447/

Plenty of positive notes here: http://bordeauxwine.org/bwe/swish.cgi?q ... ds=reverse