How to replace labels on wine bottles

JonB

How to replace labels on wine bottles

Post by JonB »

I have been procrastinating.....a case of a 2005 wine that was delivered by FedEx 2 years ago was handled roughly at delivery (they must have thrown it to the floor), and even in the styro shipper one of the bottles broke. Wine stained all of the other 11 bottles' labels.

After providing pictures of each of the wine stained labels, the merchant (goody goody) was responsive and obtained 11 new labels for me.

Is there an easy way to take off old labels? Any thoughts on whether I should do this now, or just wait until I need to (RP gives a maturity window starting in 2023, so it'll be a while before I open one).

Incidentally, I received a refund from FedEx for the cost of the 1 bottle of wine (the market value had more than doubled, so it wasn't really what I wanted --- I wanted a replacement bottle, but the merchant had completely sold out).
Houndsong

Re: How to replace labels on wine bottles

Post by Houndsong »

What is a wine "merchant" doing with 11 labels that aren't attached to bottles?

Ask them now for 11 branded corks. Then my friend you are in business.

- Hardy Rodenstock
JonB

Post by JonB »

Hound - the merchant had to go to the distributor, who went to the....all the way up the chain. This happened a couple of years ago right after release, but I'm sure the producers can have labels printed any time they want, they just require the right circumstances. Since I documented the situation for the Fedex claim, I figured I'd might as well make the 11 bottles look nice.....having a cruddy looking expensive bottle diminishes the value of almost anything you use it for....a gift, an off-line, a special family occasion....while I don't mind myself.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I don't know what a merchant can do with label, but give me 12 label of 1990 Petrus and 12 bottles of 10 $ ''dark red'' Bordeaux and I know how to transform 120 $ in 6000 $...

Nic
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

^^But ... that would be illegal....
Actually, i too once had to get a label from the winery. I had purchased a case of one of the top Cali Cabs and one bottle showed up with no front label (the others were fine, as were the back label and capsule on this bottle). I told the merchant, who got me a label from the winery. No problem. Of course, this was all a few years ago, before the big Rodenstock scandal.