Poyferre 02 instead of football

rjsussex

Poyferre 02 instead of football

Post by rjsussex »

This was my choice for BWE wine of the year a couple of years ago and hey it won

and hey tonight's bottle is quite wonderful - so opulent for an 02, touch low acid, beautifully fragrant pencilly and cassis nose, long furry tannin finish - no hurry on this and feel sure it will outlast the 03

i gather there's some football on tonight

Richard
tim

Re: Poyferre 02 instead of football

Post by tim »

How about Poyferre 02 along with football? USA v. England is an interesting game so far... ;)
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I thought the USA was unlucky and the better side
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I would rather do just about anything than watch the World Cup...

Glad you enjoyed the 02 LP Richard.

Alex R.
jal

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I thought the USA was unlucky and the better side
Let's not exaggerate here, Ian. But it was a good result for the US. If they finish second in their group they will play Germany in the first elimination, so the target now, is to finish first and play Ghana (probably).
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:I thought the USA was unlucky and the better side
Let's not exaggerate here, Ian. But it was a good result for the US. If they finish second in their group they will play Germany in the first elimination, so the target now, is to finish first and play Ghana (probably).
I was just so p1ssed off Jacques with those overpaid English prima donnas...apart from Gerrard and perhaps Johnson who put themselves about the others were just going through the motions. Hats off to the USA.

Germany were scintillating today - who said Germany doesn't do flair? They moved the ball about in a way the English can only dream off...probably one of the US and England will face them in the next round. Yikes :(
jal

Post by jal »

Germany looked like Spain yesterday and Mesut Ozil looked like Xavi. Beautiful to watch but let's see how they do against stronger teams than Australia.

The most disappointing player on the English team for me was Lampard, I for one don't think he and Gerrard can play together in the midfield.

Sorry to hijack the thread Richard, I like the 2002 Poyferre a lot and I have never been a Barton fan. There, I said it. I am probably one of the only winelovers out there who dislikes Barton .
Best

Jacques
JonB

Post by JonB »

I think Pomerollover also stated he doesn't like Leoville Barton, so you aren't alone.

I had a stunningly good '89 Leoville Poyferre with Nic several months ago. RP rated this 89, and talked about the austere, tough tannin that appeared to be set to outlast the fruit. I think this wine is just entering its prime.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I'm increasingly chary about opinions of where a wine is in its lifespan, drinking window, how long it will last, etc., and points in general.