Boycott 2009 Bordeaux

JimHow

Boycott 2009 Bordeaux

Post by JimHow »

Now I see 2009 Lynch Bages being released at well over $100 per bottle.

Join me.... Join me in boycotting the greed of Bordeaux....

I am boycotting 2009 Bordeaux in protest.
hautbrionlover

Re: Boycott 2009 Bordeaux

Post by hautbrionlover »

I have to agree that the prices are ridiculous, for the most part, so I won't be buying more than a few bottles.
So far I have bought just two bottles of Pontet Canet and three of Cantemerle (the latter actually not being expensive).
I'm still waiting to see prices on some other wines, but frankly, I have so much pre-2000 Bordeaux that's ready to drink and sufficient quantities of 2003, 2005 and 2008 that I don't feel inclined to buy much now, no matter how good the 2009s are supposed to be. I'm happy just to consume existing inventory for a while.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm going to skip '07 and '09 Bordeaux completely.
I'll give some '08s a try and, if I like them, I'll buy a few cases of 2008 Bordeaux.
I'll look for some of my favorite red Burgundies from 2008 and 2009 at the NH Liquore Store, like Jadot, d'Angerville, Potel, Drouhin, etc., and that will be about the extent of my wine buying in the next couple years.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I know there's a least one vintage of LB that's a world-beater, and that it had (past tense) a rep for outperforming it's 5th status, but it seems to me that this property has had a very high price-to-points ratio for a long time. Nowadays there are so many consistently good classed growths and cru bourgeois, why does LB still garner such high prices?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You rabble-rouser, Jim.

I'm happy to take a pass on '09 Bdx, just like I did on '08 and '07 and '06. Maybe I'll be tempted by some of these wines when they are sitting on the shelves, maybe not. I just can't get into high dudgeon over Bordeaux asking prices, or any wine asking prices for that matter. It's their wine and they can charge what they want for it. It's not like it's water or some other life essential.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
It's not like it's water or some other life essential.
>>

Water is more essential than wine?!?!??!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Lynch-Bages has some sort of brand identification and mystique that keeps the prices high, yet it's cheaper than a lot of garage wines that it's probably better than, too. I think the hype surrounding 2009 is absurd.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree with you DavidG. The Bordelais can charge whatever they want for this stuff, and we can choose not to buy it. You know, we had similar discussions when the 2005s came out, but the 2005s seemed to sell out pretty quickly. I'm sure the '09s will find their buyers too. I just won't be one of them.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote:>>
It's not like it's water or some other life essential.
>>

Water is more essential than wine?!?!??!
You know, we kid about this, but back a few hundred years ago wine was a lot safer for drinking than water. The alcohol killed most pathogens. And they didn't have Parker to promote those 17% EtOH behemoths, so most wines were probably well under 10% and you could drink enough to satisfy your thirst without getting stupid drunk. That, and it was the days when men were men and a little buzz wouldn't get you killed on the interstate.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:I'm sure the '09s will find their buyers too. I just won't be one of them.
Yup.
JonB

Post by JonB »

There will always be a few good buys amidst the hype and overpricing.

When a hyped vintage comes along, there's always a few with empty cellars or whatever that will buy almost regardless of price....I was that way in 2005; and there still appears to be lot of speculators in the market. A friend was recently telling me about a wine investment fund he participates in that has enjoyed phenomenol returns, and he still thought it made sense. At some point this bubble will pop......
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I'm not buying either, but it is largely because of my age and my existing cellar.

There is strong resistance to 2009 pricing... but not from all quarters.
My friends in the trade tell me the great growths are selling like hotcakes.

When stocks of the last "vintage of the century" with 5 years of bottle age are available at - roughly - the same price, many of us wonder why anyone would buy 2009s.

Part of the answer is emerging markets, but I have also seen in the past that many yuppies want to be in on the action from the very first and don't give a fig about what's already out there on the market. They are following things "in real tme" and like to be in control. It's thrilling and they have the time to wait for those wines to mature... Kind of like having yourself a new house built.
And, hey, think of all the people married in 2009, all the children born that year. Purchases to mark such major events are pretty significant IMHO.

2009 Lynch Bages: Some of you question value for money. Perhaps. But I've had the 2009 Lynch and it absolutely rocks. You can take my word on that :-).

Best regards,
Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good analysis, Alex. There's always a new wave of potential consumers. I was thinking they wouldn't be attracted to '09 Bdx given the cost and the current global economy. But if they haven't played the game before they have no personal experience of prior prices for comparison. And many may not be interested enough to research past prices - they just want to buy the latest hot item.

Like you, a good portion of my no-buy decision is based on age and current cellar contents. There are a few decent values, but I don't really need them.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I've bought some Doisy-Daene, and one bling half of L'extravagence, but that is it, I toyed with Poujeaux because I was offered a good price, but the 08 is still cheaper! 08 also seems more my style of vintage although I did think some of the 09s I tried were fantastic... I just wish that Dufort-Vivens was half the price it is... my problem is things I bought in 08 I can't buy now because the prices are obscene in comparison... hopefully my anniversary vintage 2010 will be a washout and everything will be right in the world ;)
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)