Editing/deleting posts

DavidG

Editing/deleting posts

Post by DavidG »

It's great that you can edit posts on this forum. Much better than the MSN site.

Is it possible for the board to append a note when a post is edited - say if it is edited more than 5 minutes after the original post? This might reduce confusion in a back/forth conversation if someone goes back to correct an erroneous post.

Also, what happens if a regular user deletes the first post in a thread that he started? Will that delete the whole thread? If so, can we disable the ability to do that?
JimHow

Re: Editing/deleting posts

Post by JimHow »

:mrgreen: Good questions, DavidG.
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

DavidG wrote:Is it possible for the board to append a note when a post is edited - say if it is edited more than 5 minutes after the original post? This might reduce confusion in a back/forth conversation if someone goes back to correct an erroneous post.
I think it does, see this post here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15#p88

I've just edited that - note the text below the post saying when I edited it. I think it only adds the text after a certain time after the original post as you say David, but I'm not sure what that time is
DavidG wrote:Also, what happens if a regular user deletes the first post in a thread that he started? Will that delete the whole thread? If so, can we disable the ability to do that?
I don't think you can delete posts as a regular user... yeah I've just checked and only moderators can delete posts
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

Here's a screenshot of what I see as my regular user Phil, note how there are fewer buttons available to me on other people's posts because I'm not a moderator:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (150.01 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I see Phil, but I thnk my question still stands.

I think regular users can delete their own posts.

Notice that your post as "Phil" in the screenshot (what the regular user "Phil" sees) still has the edit and delete buttons active for "Phil's" post. So if regular user "Phil" started a thread that then had multiple responses, and regular user "Phil" went back to delete the original post he made, what would happen to all the rest of the responses that follow? Would they remain? If so, fine. If they disappear, is there a way to prevent the deletion of that original post by the regular user who created it?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I like the "Last edited" notation. It doesn't kick in right away, so it allows you to add content or correct typos or errors or tone down a rant if you hit "send" too soon. But it also notifies the group that you changed something if you do so later down the road after a, perhaps, contentious exchange. Not that that ever happens on BWE. :mrgreen:
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

I see what you mean David... I think you can only delete a post if there are no replies to your post (or posts after it) for example, I now don't have that delete button now you've replied to that thread.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Cool. So regular user "Phil" no longer has the "delete" button now that there are following replies. Do you still see the "edit" button as a regular user? And if you click on the edit button, does the window that comes up still give an option to delete the post rather than just edit it?
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

No it's just edit now, no delete
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That's what happens when you get over 50, Jim... :o

You'll get used to it. :mrgreen:
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

I think if some people find it "busy" it's just because it's new. Once people get used to the it they'll be able to zone in on the message content easily. All of the buttons/links will be useful at one time or another so it's better to leave them in place IMO.

Putting borders round or a background behind the messages is a good idea though - I'll have a look at that soon. 101 work things to do at the minute.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I think borders might resolve the issue.

Also, how do we tell when a message thread has a new message(s) in it without going into the thread itself? On MSN the thread appears bolder when a new message has been posted, as well as, obviously, being brought to the top.

Also, is there any way to make the text like one notch bigger for us old timers?
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

JimHow wrote:Also, how do we tell when a message thread has a new message(s) in it without going into the thread itself? On MSN the thread appears bolder when a new message has been posted, as well as, obviously, being brought to the top.
The wine glass is either full or half empty next to the topic - a little feature I added myself which I'm quite proud of.
Also, is there any way to make the text like one notch bigger for us old timers?
There's a change-font-size button on the pale pink bar near the top, on the right hand side; the 'A' with the up and down arrows either side of it.
michael

Post by michael »

JimHow wrote:Also, is there any way to make the text like one notch bigger for us old timers?
I find looking at the "Last post" column on the View Forums page helpful. It displays the date of last posting and who made it. Frankly I find this more useful than the MSN method of displaying the thread starter name.