TN: Three from Bordeaux

chris kissack

TN: Three from Bordeaux

Post by chris kissack »

I'm about to depart for the Loire and am just doing a little 'mopping up' before I depart. So here are three final notes on dinner wines, tasted in Bordeaux. I'll be back relaxed and recharged in three weeks. My best wishes for happy summer holidays to all! :)

Chateau Smith-Haut-Lafitte (Pessac-Léognan) 2003: Although I approached this wine with a little trepidation in view of the vintage, I was really impressed by the aromatics. A very densely styled nose, packed full of smoky tobacco and sweetly maturing fruit, with touches of dry leaves and undergrowth. A firm substance on the palate, with a deep and concentrated layer of fruit and delicious maturity laid over the substance of a seven-year wine. Lots of spice and grip. Lots of meat with a chewy edge too. Low acidity, so not to everyone's liking (and I didn't think it would be to mine), but this is really delicious to drink now. 17.5+/20

Chateau Taillefer (Pomerol) 2004: A good nose here, with plenty of iron and rust maturity, rather deep and smoky, with a slightly meaty note at the edges. The palate has a supple character, with a rather broad and polished style, with some grip in the midpalate and finish. There is some pepper and spice in the end too. A good wine although rather solid and straightforward at present. I was much more convinced by this on my last tasting, I see. 16.5+/20

Chateau de Myrat (Sauternes) 2003: This is a Sauternes estate of which I have minimal experience, so it's great to get a taste here. A mid-gold hue. Plump fruit on the nose, slightly high-toned, with touches of coconut and apricot. A full and plump texture to match, sweet, quite lush fruit, with lots of texture. Tangible tropical and citrus substance, but the most notable aspect is the rich, fat mouthfeel. Not a lot of acidity, in keeping with the vintage of course, so this is not the most lively of wines. Nice appeal in terms of flavour though. 15.5+/20
Houndsong

Re: TN: Three from Bordeaux

Post by Houndsong »

Trying to read between the lines for oak in the SHL.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I loved the 2003 SHL, as I have loved every vintage of this wine I have tried since 1998.
For me it has become one of the most consistent estates in Bordeaux.
And if this is what is meant by "new age" Bordeaux, then sign me up....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim turned me on to SHL, and I've got a few of the '00, '04, and '05. The only one I've tried recently is the '00 about 6 months ago, and while it has a bunch of positive notes indicating that it's ready on CT, I thought it needed more time to develop complexity. Sounds like the '03 is already showing some nice complexity. Who said low-acid wines can't age?