The 2 leaders in Bourgogne are...

Nicklasss

The 2 leaders in Bourgogne are...

Post by Nicklasss »

women? Just to start a new discussion that could be fun. I noticed that in the wine World, men are making most of the best wines in almost every region (and please, don't consider me a sexist guy, as I would like to have more women everywhere). But when you look in Bourgogne, it come pretty strongly that the best red and white are made by women : Lalou Bize-Leroy and Anne-Claude Leflaive. I consider these two women at the top level because of the quality/ratings and also because they're making good quantity of wine (of course when compared to Bourgogne level),

I had a few wines of these two producers, and have not been deceived : their wines were exactly what I thought what Bourgogne wines should be.

I know that many men are making incredible Bourgogne, but these women seem to be the top notch of that area. What do you think?

Nic
rjsussex

Re: The 2 leaders in Bourgogne are...

Post by rjsussex »

Nice point. And the best Bourgogne Rouge I've had recently has been Ghislaine Barthod's 07 from Chambolle. She's clearly another great Bourgogne grower.

Richard
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Anne Gros makes super wines as well.

The two top winemakers at the moment in Barolo village are women; Marie-Therese Mascarello at Bartolo; and Chiara Boschis at Pira e Figli; of course the majority are men, but clearly there is a slow shift in some regions where things are small scale and family orientated towards more women getting involved in the actual winemaking side of things.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
jal

Post by jal »

I mostly agree, Nic. However, I am not a huge fan of Leroy. True, I only had her wines four or five times, but I don't think I was ever very impressed. For the price, one can do a lot better imo.

Leflaive, on the other hand, is my favorite producer. I totally agree with your choice there.

Funny that both estates are completely biodynamic.
Best

Jacques