The '98 Pavie-Maquin Has Been Uncorked ...

Roberto

The '98 Pavie-Maquin Has Been Uncorked ...

Post by Roberto »

I have a strange history with this wine. I purchased it on release based on the Parker reviews and cellared it. Then I sold my case after Whuzzup___ converted me over to the Burgundy side. The reality is that I still love Bordeaux, especially the right bank. Selling this wine really haunted me. Of course I used the proceeds to buy more amazing Burgundy but that is another story. I would occaisionally read a TN on this wine, most recently by JimHow, and I would wonder. What does this wine taste like?

I broke down and bought a single bottle at auction this past Fall as wine prices corrected and I felt that the price was reasonable. I wanted to try this wine for myself. Tonight I had a chance to sit down and decide if I had made a mistake in selling it.

The nose if muted but pretty offering raspberries, blue berries, briars, chalk and currants. The palate is where this wine shines as it is wonderfully fruited but at the same time restrained showing flashes of fruit underpinned by structure. The tannins are ripe and round. I don't get any drying on the finish which is elegant and structured. This wine is definitely not over-the-top and tastes like a more classically-Bordeaux than say the Monbosquet or Quinault.

I like this wine. If it were in the $50 range I would be a buyer. More than that and I think I can do better elsewhere. I don't regret my decision to that much.

Roberto.
edjedj

Re: The '98 Pavie-Maquin Has Been Uncorked ...

Post by edjedj »

I have had PM '98 recently. I believe it is far from mature and its' best is years away....Oh Bordeaux !

Emery
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree, this wine will benefit from the DavidG dictum: Do not judge a wine before its time. It is far from its potential, which is at least another five to ten years away.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

Yes, this wine is still not mature. It is a very good Bordeaux. My only issue is the price/quality. If you bought this on release you should be very happy.

Roberto
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I think the biggest story that is going to be coming in the world of wine in the next year or two is: pricing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What? Whuzzup_ used his influence to bring Roberto to Burgundy? MichaelP was right in 2002, in Jim's Lincoln, we should have push him out of the car...

Seriously, thanks for reporting and it hurt me some more, me that don't have too much 98 Right Bank (only Troplong Mondot). I'll look if I can still find some at decent price here.

Nic