TN: 2007-2008 RAYMOND USSEGLIO-A RISING STAR IN CHATEAUNEUF

HarryKaris

TN: 2007-2008 RAYMOND USSEGLIO-A RISING STAR IN CHATEAUNEUF

Post by HarryKaris »

I have been in Chateauneuf-du-Pape recently for about 2 weeks and Raymond Usseglio was one of the winemakers I visited. Being part of the upcoming young generation in Chateauneuf, Stephane Usseglio is in charge of the domaine since 2004 and doing a more than great job. Without doubt he changed several things at the domaine in benefit of quality and producing more interesting wines. While winemaking is still traditional, Stephane works well-considered, knowing what he wants; producing high quality wine, with good fruit, balanced freshness and well structured tannin. Lets say a mix of avant-garde style of winemaking with a solid traditional base.

Last year in November I organized a big tasting in The Netherlands and the 2006 Raymond Usseglio’s wines then already showed more than impressive. According to the vintage's character; well balanced with silky fruity layers, good freshness and tannin structure with a long sexy finish.

During my visit I had the 2008 white showing an impressive depth and superb attractive freshness. I tasted many white 2008’s recently and without doubt 2008 will be a very good year for the whites.

The samples of 2008 were excellent as well. Although a very difficult year, after severe selection, maturity was very good and after a shy start the wines in general show very good concentration and complexity. Besides the Raymond Usseglio I tasted several very good 2008 recently. Good structure in the Mourvèdre and freshness in the Syrah. A perfect condition for an interesting final blend with the Grenache.

For the 2007 vintage Stephane created – as several winemakers did – a new cuvee named la Part des Anges – a blend of no less than 60-65% Mourvèdre, 30% Grenache and some Syrah.
The Mourvèdre is aged partly new oak small barrels. No animal taste here, rather lush with plenty of cassis, truffle and tobacco. Powerful and well flavored palate and long finish - funky wine with a surprising complexity.

The Imperiale VV 2007 is a real gem. Made from more than 100-year-old vines – with some older than 110 years – 90% Grenache and 10% others.
Opulent and extremely well concentrated - sweet licorice with plenty of Asian spices and a subtle garrigue. Long never ending finish…. remains animating till the end. A profound well made wine.

Don’t make the mistake and think the 2007 traditional ‘just’ is a base cuvee. This is serous stuff and one of the more balanced and structured regular 2007 wines I tasted meanwhile in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Great stuff and for me a must buy!

Good news for those with an impatient nature, the 2007 traditional and the VV have already been bottled and for sale at the domaine, and probably will hit the shelves soon.

CdP-Harry
Last edited by HarryKaris on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan

Re: TN: 2007-2008 RAYMOND USSEGLIO-A RISING STAR IN CHATEAUNEUF

Post by Johan »

I can find a few 2006's here in Stockholm, Harry. Is that a good vintage.........

Best,

Johan
Johan

Post by Johan »

Top for Harry..........
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Johan,

The regular 2006 RU is a good but not overly impressive wine. The 2006 Cuvee Imperiale is a darned good complex wine with plenty of aging potential but already drinking very well.

CdP-Harry