Undoubtedly the finest Potensac I have ever tasted ...

Houndsong

Undoubtedly the finest Potensac I have ever tasted ...

Post by Houndsong »

... has been uncorked. Anyway I think I read that somewhere. I'm not sure BWE regulars would agree, or would like the 2003 Potensac very much. It has taken on 2003 Lagrange-like characteristics. I happen to like the 2003 Lagrange for what it is. This Potensac is very ripe and very dry, with a woody rigidity. The bouquet has some banana bread scents but I would not call it disgusting like Otto. Where is Otto these days? At least this and a big ole icepack is helping my trapezius, or at least my atitude. The Potensac is open, it's also got some liqueur-like aromas. Drying tannins in the back. Low acid. Charred wood in the aftertaste. But I like it well enough.
Houndsong

Re: Undoubtedly the finest Potensac I have ever tasted ...

Post by Houndsong »

Houndsong wrote:... but I would not call it disgusting like Otto.
I should say "I would not call it disgusting like Otto would."
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Very nice note, not very nice wine, bananas yes - I drank my 3 cases vey rapidly

Richard
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yes, I third the bananas. I had the 2003 Potensac on release and found it gooey-sweet at the time.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Finished it up last night. This wine has its advantages. Main one is I find it enjoyable. Even though it's dry I can also enjoy it with my casual wine drinking friends, who frankly far outnumber my bdx buddies, at least insofar as I can reach out and touch them regularly. I don't penalize vintage characteristics (as long as I like them). I think it's enjoyable for what it is.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This positive evolution doesn't really surprise me, Hound. Many junior members of Bordeaux 2003 seem to have settled down nicely since their heady beginnings.
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Never had the 2003 Potensac (had the 2000 recently and was just OK) but I really dislike the 2003 Lagrange.

CdP-Harry
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Someday we will have to have an 03 Lagrange haters night, sort of like the disco sucks night at the old Comisky Field.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I shared a bottle of the '03 Potensac about three years ago (or maybe four) with a friend of mine and I liked it a lot, although I thought it was a tad on the modern side. But, it was complete at the time and drinking well. I have to say though that I liked the '01 and '06 more as I thought they were dryer, more Bordeaux styled and complex. Potensac is always fun to try.
-Chasse
AKR

Post by AKR »

I pulled another 2000 Potensac to have with pork chops tonight. This was one of the better ones from the case! Served without decanting and a touch warmer than we normally have our reds - at 72F. Nice mouthfeel, a nose of currants and some pencil, a bit more rounded than the estate usually ends up. The last few have been more interesting than prior ones.

For those familiar with the estate - what is your favorite year?