TN: Aldo Conterno "Bricco Bussia" 1978 & others

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Aldo Conterno "Bricco Bussia" 1978 & others

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I went to Le Cirque for dinner and general good times with my friend Paul and his colorful friends who frequent the bar there, among other things.

Chateau Boutisse 2005 St. Emilion Grand Cru
Opaque purple w/ a very good nose - flowers, currants, berries and oak. The palate is tight but unwinds with air. Very modern in style, a typical '05 styled wine. As it opens up some nuances emerge. Full bodied and solid but unexciting.

Rully Domaine de L’Ecette, 2007 “La Gaudine”
Pure yellow gold. Butter, oak, peach and flowers on the nose. Minerals, long subtle finish with a delicious spicy sweetness. Good balance and freshness. Medium bodied. Apples, fruity but dry. A great white burg for drinking now. Lovely.

Aldo Conterno Barolo "Bricco Bussia" 1978
From a fabled vintage. Opaque dark red with some lightening at the edges. A perfectly stored example, you wouldn't guess that this was a 32 year old wine. Full bodied. Earthy nose with hint of liquorice, menthol and/or eucalyptus. Plenty of acidity and fruit. Tannins almost completely resolved. The nose keeps evolving by the second showing by turn leather, currants, cherries, smoke, figs and tobacco. Long dry finish. Dark cherry flavors on the palate. Very concentrated with excellent grip. 13.5% alch. Has years to go. Amazing wine.

-Chasse
Houndsong

Re: TN: Aldo Conterno "Bricco Bussia" 1978 & others

Post by Houndsong »

I've only ever had one Rully and it was rully, rully good.

96 - 78 = 18 years before I can drink a 32 year old Barolo.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

'96 is one of my favorite Barolo vintages. Grab everything that you can. Rully is a great appellation. I'm going to look for more from there. Do you remember who the producer was on that wine that you liked?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Chasse-Spleen wrote:'96 is one of my favorite Barolo vintages. Grab everything that you can.
'96 Barbaresco are not too shabby, either. I've enjoyed past bottles of Moccagatta from 96, and have been holding on to my remaining bottle, and will gladly bring if we ever get that long-in-planning offline going.
Thanks for the TN on the '78 Aldo Conterno Barolo. Have had a few of his 90's vintages and I liked most of them.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Had a couple of 96s recently; all super and in need of a lot more time; some still shut down hard others really starting to open but incredibly primary. Tried 2 today as well. 96 Cannubi Boschis and 96 Monprivato. Both super but with at least another 30 years in them.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

I have a solo btl of 96 Giacosa Falletto Serralunga "Red Label Riserva " Barolo that I bought on release from Bertellis in Clifton NJ. I probably won't be around to drink it as it will need at least another 15-20 years. Oh well, Jackdaw will have something to remember me by. The 96 is my favorite vintage of the past thirty years. That's not including the 85, or 89 two other great vintages.
RDD

Post by RDD »

PappaDoc wrote:I have a solo btl of 96 Giacosa Falletto Serralunga "Red Label Riserva " Barolo that I bought on release from Bertellis in Clifton NJ. I probably won't be around to drink it as it will need at least another 15-20 years. Oh well, Jackdaw will have something to remember me by. The 96 is my favorite vintage of the past thirty years. That's not including the 85, or 89 two other great vintages.
1990's weren't too shabby either.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Nobody has any thoughts on 1978? Hey, I was born that year! Hah, I'm only kidding. HWRM rates the vintage 97 pts.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

I've had great 78s Including a Cerreto Bricco Roche That Dave Beckwith brought to Gios Home one night that was in perfect condition. The best Barolo I ever drank was the 1985 Monfortino, The La Tache of Barolos. I was given a Birthday present of 1958 Giacomo Conterno Riserva that looks in perfect shape this past May. I'm waiting until cold weather to drink it.

The 71 Piedmont Vintage was when I just got serious into wine. The Benzigers(formely Glen Elen, now Benziger Wines in Sonoma) had a retail shop in Eastchester NY. They had an importer in the Family, Park Benziger and had a great stash of 71 Barolos and Barbarescos. Bobby the youngest Brother sold me 71s "On the cheap" as they were selling the store and moving to California. I also bought Italian wines from the best store,at the time in the U.S. Gold Star Wines in Queens NY. Unfortunately the owner and great guy, Lou Iacoucci died in an auto accident in Verona at the Italian yearly wine festival there. He not only had the best Italian wines but the best from the rest of Europe, and his prices were low.

Best Barbareco was Bruno Giacosa 71 Santo Stefano Riserva, although I drank it too young in 1980 I can still taste it.
I do think the 90 vintage is great, I had a Sandrone and a Bartolo Mascarello plus a Monprivato this past winter that were all sensational, I just think the 89s have a little more umph and character while the 90s are a little more suave.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Chasse; 78 is a stunning Piemonte vintage.

1996 is supposed to be the later day 78!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chasse-Spleen wrote:Nobody has any thoughts on 1978? Hey, I was born that year! Hah, I'm only kidding. HWRM rates the vintage 97 pts.
Hi Chris - I havent had a lot of luck with the 1978 vintage in Piedmont - I bought a mixed batch at auction in 2000 and most of them were corked or faulty. I have had a lot more luck with the 82, 85 and 89 vintages...but my most epiphanous and levitating experience was with a 1974 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano 1974 drank in the Belvedere restaurant in La Morra with fresh pasta with grated white truffle. Closely competing was a bottle of 1971 Gaja Barbaresco Sori San Lorenzo. I have quite a few 1996s too, while 01 and 04 are promising and 00 a 'useful' vintage for early drinking.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Bruno Giacosa.... you break my heart, why can't I afford you?