TN: 2001 Pichon Baron and 2005 Pegau Reservee

Ramon_NYC

TN: 2001 Pichon Baron and 2005 Pegau Reservee

Post by Ramon_NYC »

2001 Ch. Pichon Baron, Pauillac
Our Saturday steak dinner had me hankering for something with mostly Cabernet Sauvignon in it and went with this. Fresh Bordeaux color that was very dark, black plum and inky. Leather, pencil, tobacco, very Pauillac on the nose. Last I’ve had one of these was about 2 years ago and that bottle then was more open and giving. This bottle, from the same at-release purchase lot, was tighter, much younger-tasting, and quite backward. Could definitely have used more cellar time. I was quite excited to open this bottle after a very positive drinking experience about 2 years ago, but this one turned out to be less interesting. B

2005 Dom. du Pegau Cuvee Reservee, Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Horsehide, garrique and fresh meat bouquet. Deep-fruited, but not overly ripe and with slight, but discernible heat and alcohol near the finish. Purchased since release, I have been drinking a bottle at an average of every 6 months since then and, have not experienced any that has shut down. This bottle was pleasant to drink, with just a tinge of harshness - a reminder of the wine’s young age, and an appropriate touch of green and some milky notes. With this bottle, it’s the first time that I’ve used the word “effeminate” in my notes, unlike any of my TNs for any of the young Reservee that I’ve had from this decade’s vintage. B+
Michael Malinoski

Re: TN: 2001 Pichon Baron and 2005 Pegau Reservee

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I know exactly what you are talking about with regard to the 2001 Pichon Baron. A bottle in March 2008 was just fantastic--I rated it well above the 01's from Gruaud Larose, Leoville Poyferre and Cos d'Estournel that night. We tried a bottle just 2 nights ago and this time it was a whole lot tighter and younger-tasting and tough. Still lots of obvious excellent stuffing, but cinching up right now!

-Michael
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

Michael,

I agree that seemed really tight but it could also have appeared that way because of what was drunk before it and the fact that it was around 2:00 in the morning when the Pichon was popped open.

Andy
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Indeed! :D

I took the leftover wine home, however, and on night 2 the wine was still less giving than I recall it being a few years ago, though it was certainly more approachable than on night 1. So, I do believe the wine is in a bit of a tight phase right now, though probably not as bad as it seemed Saturday night (ahem, morning)...

-Michael