TN: 1989 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

mike reff

TN: 1989 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Post by mike reff »

• 1989 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (7/11/2009)
    worried that this wine had not donw well considering the issues that Ducru had in the 80's. I was mildly surprised when after opening, there were great odors and a fine taste. Fruit and lead pencil dominated the palate. Left to breath for about an hour or two in the bottle. This was probably a mistake since most of the aromas faded and what was left were trace fruit/tart like tastes on the palate. Was it tired, probably not, but one should pop and pour rather than wait
JimHow

Re: TN: 1989 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report Mike. I had probably about six bottles of this a decade or so ago. Probably half the bottles were musty, but those that weren't were quite solid, pretty typical Ducru.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Strange that some bottles are tainted and others are not when the taint comes from the winery rather than from corks.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

could have been where it was located at the winery. I spoke to Bruno Borie a couple of years ago and then is what he alluded to...
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Mike, did you happen to ask what Mr Borie did with those wines that were spoiled at the winery? I'll tell you-he sold them to the consumer. I have not purchased D-B since this "business decision."
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

Harry C. wrote:Mike, did you happen to ask what Mr Borie did with those wines that were spoiled at the winery? I'll tell you-he sold them to the consumer. I have not purchased D-B since this "business decision."
hahahhaah no Harry, I did not, but I am not sure that he or his family were in posession of the estate in the 80's..I think they purchased it in the 90's. The '96 Ducru is stellar as was the 1998 that I tried about four years ago..
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Tremendous bouquet on the '96 Ducru.
I wonder if healthy bottles from the 1988 vintage might not be the best of that 88-89-90 triumvirate of Ducru Beaucaillou.