TN: Not too shabby 1996 Bordeaux

Harry C.

TN: Not too shabby 1996 Bordeaux

Post by Harry C. »

• 1996 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (4/25/2010)
    Deep garnet. I see why they claim MR is the most 'exotic' of the first growth. Nose was initially kinda bubble gum and black fruits. The Double Bubble dissipated but the fruits emerged. The nose kept opening over the night and was wonderful. Taste was mouthfilling, middle aged good Bordeaux. (96 pts.)
  • 1996 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (4/25/2010)
    Garnet. Nose was initially shy, but opened throughout the night. Finally got that sweetness That I seem to find in HB, but with more tobacco and black fruits. Taste was medium weight, mouthfilling. Lovely. (95 pts.)
JonoB

Re: TN: Not too shabby 1996 Bordeaux

Post by JonoB »

Those both sound super!

There is a mix case of the firsts from 96 at the hotel where my wife and I will be having a fairly abitrary religious ceremony for ¥100,000 in a funky leather case. I will be checking the London prices first to make sure I can't get them cheaper elsewhere.

They had the 90s equivalent (now sold out) for ¥150,000 but when the Mouton in 90 was so poor, why would you want it. Especially considering most of the 90 firsts are still fairly primary! 96s can be drunk with a good decant right now IMHO.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)