TN: Honeycrisp apple

Houndsong

TN: Honeycrisp apple

Post by Houndsong »

I'm eating this apple and all of a sudden I'm tasting a nice rich Burg or perhaps a classy Cali chard. Not minerally, but some buttery/butterscotch tones and some barrel toast. Good acidity and sweetness. I'd had a nice cup of Sumatran dark roast coffee (cream and sugar) some time before and there was that aftertaste mingling with the fruit that I think evoked the wine. 93 points. Eat now through this fall.

We always talk about wine tasting like different things. Anyone every had something different that reminded them of wine? A first for me.
JonB

Re: TN: Honeycrisp apple

Post by JonB »

What vintage? Did you get this through the gray market? Any TCA?

I read a recent apple tasting note where the reviewer said it reeked of TCA taint.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

2010. And I think it's Washington State AVA.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie gives me a hard time when I swirl and sniff her applesauce and comment on its bouquet.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I love Honeycrisp apples though I think the best examples are from Minnesota - they were developed by the University of Minnesota for the soil and climate there. If you can't get them from Minnesota, I suggest those grown in Pennsylvania - Washington and California are a step down. I believe Honeycrisp are also now being grown in New Zealand and Nova Scotia.

Chris Bublitz